By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft offers to buy Yahoo

@Fishyjoe

Why is Sony going to fall? Revised PS3 shipment target?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
valen200 said:
WiiStation360 said:
Microsoft certainly feels like they need to dominate every single industry. If you can't beat them, buy them. I guess they need to do something with all that money they are sitting on.

Does anyone still use Yahoo as their primary search engine?
 I think the fact that "google" is a verb in common usage (haven't checked Websters to see if it is officaly) indicates how well things are going for yahoo.

I just checked in Oxford (non-american here, so I use a real dictionary :P) and they have it listed. Interesting to note that google was already a word from a long time back, and the current usage of Google is supposed to be spelt with a capital (which makes sense since it is derived from the proper noun). Sorry, no link because Oxford requires a subscription to their online dictionary.

---

google, v.

intr. Of the ball: to have a ‘googly’ break and swerve. Of the bowler; to bowl a googly or googlies; also (trans.), to give a googly break to (a ball). Hence googler, a googly bowler.

1907 Badminton Mag. Sept. 289 The googlies that do not google. 1909 Westm. Gaz. 5 July 7/4 Mr. Lockhart, having ‘googled’ to no purpose from the ‘nursery’ end. 1923 Daily Mail 9 July 11 In R. H. Bettington they have a googler who might triumph over the best of wickets. 1928 Daily Tel. 12 June 19/2 Constantine..was out to a semi-yorker, which also ‘googled’. 1930 Ibid. 25 Apr. 8/5 Grimmett..can spin the ball and google it.

---

google, v.2

1. intr. To use the Google search engine to find information on the Internet.

1999 Re: Hi Guys! in alt.fan.british-accent (Usenet newsgroup) 10 Oct., Has anyone Googled? www.google.com Ver ver [sic] clean and fast. 2003 Sunday Herald (Glasgow) 14 Sept. (Seven Days section) 7/3 You can google all you want and there's nothing there on them. 2004 U.S. News & World Report 14 June 49/2 The couple found themselves Googling for a new place to live.

2. trans. To search for information about (a person or thing) using the Google search engine.

2000 Re: $Emergency_Number in NYC in alt.sysadmin.recovery (Usenet newsgroup) 10 Jan., I've googled some keywords, and it came up with some other .edu text. 2001 N.Y. Times 11 Mar. III. 12/3, I met this woman last night at a party and I came right home and googled her. 2005 ‘BELLE DE JOUR’ Intimate Adventures of London Call Girl 115 Obsessing over the details, including Googling his name every few hours? Too right I did.

If I were Yahoo, I wouldn't sell. Especially because I'd believe yahoo would be able to gain much higher profit over time.

Well thats just my initial impression.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

starcraft said:
@Fishyjoe

Why is Sony going to fall? Revised PS3 shipment target?

They dropped 8% in Tokyo last night. They reduced guidance in their financial report for operating income. 

Katilian said:
valen200 said:
WiiStation360 said:
Microsoft certainly feels like they need to dominate every single industry. If you can't beat them, buy them. I guess they need to do something with all that money they are sitting on.

Does anyone still use Yahoo as their primary search engine?
I think the fact that "google" is a verb in common usage (haven't checked Websters to see if it is officaly) indicates how well things are going for yahoo.

I just checked in Oxford (non-american here, so I use a real dictionary :P) and they have it listed. Interesting to note that google was already a word from a long time back, and the current usage of Google is supposed to be spelt with a capital (which makes sense since it is derived from the proper noun). Sorry, no link because Oxford requires a subscription to their online dictionary.

---

google, v.

intr. Of the ball: to have a ‘googly’ break and swerve. Of the bowler; to bowl a googly or googlies; also (trans.), to give a googly break to (a ball). Hence googler, a googly bowler.

1907 Badminton Mag. Sept. 289 The googlies that do not google. 1909 Westm. Gaz. 5 July 7/4 Mr. Lockhart, having ‘googled’ to no purpose from the ‘nursery’ end. 1923 Daily Mail 9 July 11 In R. H. Bettington they have a googler who might triumph over the best of wickets. 1928 Daily Tel. 12 June 19/2 Constantine..was out to a semi-yorker, which also ‘googled’. 1930 Ibid. 25 Apr. 8/5 Grimmett..can spin the ball and google it.
---
google, v.2
1. intr. To use the Google search engine to find information on the Internet.
1999 Re: Hi Guys! in alt.fan.british-accent (Usenet newsgroup) 10 Oct., Has anyone Googled? www.google.com Ver ver [sic] clean and fast. 2003 Sunday Herald (Glasgow) 14 Sept. (Seven Days section) 7/3 You can google all you want and there's nothing there on them. 2004 U.S. News & World Report 14 June 49/2 The couple found themselves Googling for a new place to live.

2. trans. To search for information about (a person or thing) using the Google search engine.

2000 Re: $Emergency_Number in NYC in alt.sysadmin.recovery (Usenet newsgroup) 10 Jan., I've googled some keywords, and it came up with some other .edu text. 2001 N.Y. Times 11 Mar. III. 12/3, I met this woman last night at a party and I came right home and googled her. 2005 ‘BELLE DE JOUR’ Intimate Adventures of London Call Girl 115 Obsessing over the details, including Googling his name every few hours? Too right I did.
 What do you mean a "real dictionary"?  Ours just looks small because we cut out the extra "u"s :P But yeah, google is officaly a verb and yahoo is not. That says a lot about how much each one is in the public's conscience.
 I wonder if the first usage is where the phrase "great googly moogly" comes from. At the very least it is in an amusing Snickers commercial. 

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Around the Network

Nintendo should buy Sony. Not that they would want to, just saying they could.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

rukusa said:
If I were Yahoo, I wouldn't sell. Especially because I'd believe yahoo would be able to gain much higher profit over time.

Well thats just my initial impression.

No way, their stocks had been falling in value for a bit now, they needed something to happen. This deal gave them a nice boost as a company.  Microsoft seems to want to go head to head with Google, good luck to them.

valen200 said:

What do you mean a "real dictionary"?  Ours just looks small because we cut out the extra "u"s :P But yeah, google is officaly a verb and yahoo is not. That says a lot about how much each one is in the public's conscience.
 I wonder if the first usage is where the phrase "great googly moogly" comes from. At the very least it is in an amusing Snickers commercial. 

lol. That has to be one of the best replies I've ever heard when I have a jab at American English

i want a 3 - way competition... its always a lot better for consumer when its 3-way competition than 2 way competition...

If MS manage to buy out Yahoo then its going to be a slow and unimpressive future for the online community... Yahoo has tons of good services... which i really enjoy like unlimited inbox, yahoo answers, yahoo games, their portal which i use a lot more than MSN portal and then their search which i do use sometime

If I were MS I'd buy Altavista and bring it back to its glory days

What are you looking at, nerd?