By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Computer Entertainment: profit/losses timeline since 1996 to 2007

TWRoO said:
The Fury said:
Nice to see the figures. I find it odd after all the PS2's success, it never had as successful year as the PS1 did in 1999.

Well, possibly, but if you could see what was PS2 money and what was PSP (and PS3) money i'd bet the PS2 was more profitable.

Ah, see, now I forgot to include PSP development costs. PS2 probably did make more money then jsut as a division they lost.

Fair enough. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
shams said:

Neither of Sony/MS have the IPs to compete with Ninty - apart from a couple of big IPs (Halo, GT5, Everybodys golf?) - they just don't have the ammo. Only EA, Activision & Square Enix can get close.

Sony has alot of games, if you look at the numbers for published games from Sony on the PS2/PS1 they sold more then Nintendo did on the N64 and the GC. 

bbsin or Saiyar>

can you tell me where in the annuals reports you can see the profits/losses for the videogame business ?

I have done the same thing a year ago but the only numbers i could get were the operating income: impossible to find net profit.

thanks

bbsin, That's a nice update. Here's a graph for the same data a posted some time ago, albeit in Yen. The third graph shows profits in the PS2 era. ioi,

Could you put those figures (quarterlies of SCEI, Microsoft Entertainment and Nintendo) into a database on vgchartz, pretty please? Would be very useful.

bbsin,

You said that Nintendo made 40 % profit on hardware compared to software. That's not true. What you can see in financial report are revenues, not profits. You assume that the Wii has 20 % margin (which you can't prove by the way). Nintendo's overall operating profit is above 20 % however. Therefore software margin will be better and total software profits will be just as big as total hardware profits.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

bbsin,

Old Nintendo quarterlies are here:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/2000-2002.html 

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network
bbsin said:
famousringo said:
bbsin said:
shams said:
I think Sony will lose around 100m for Q4 (Jan-March '08) - much lower PSP/PS2 sales, to less offset losses from PS3 hardware sales.

So fiscal '07-08 will end up around 1bn loss - first time has ever made losses two years running in their games division.

Both previous losses were relatively minor as well - totaling under 500m loss. The last two years will add almost 3bn in loss to the equation.

Sony/MS would *love* to emulate Nintendo's business model - but they can't. Nintendo makes money off SOFTWARE - Sony/MS make most off hardware (and licensing).

Neither of Sony/MS have the IPs to compete with Ninty - apart from a couple of big IPs (Halo, GT5, Everybodys golf?) - they just don't have the ammo. Only EA, Activision & Square Enix can get close.

Wrong way around. Nintendo makes most their money off of hardware, that's why they've never had a negative operating income. They (nintendo) gets roughly a $49 profit for every Wii they've sold and even more for DS. MS and Sony makes money based on the percentage of royalties and licensing generated from software companies and sales. Sony can emulate Nintedo's business model, but don't want to. They could have easily created a PS2.5 for $200 and sold MORE than the Wii at this point. As for Microsoft, their name in the videogame industry wasn't good enough after the Xbox so they had to push the technology and make a better reputation for themselves.

Been paying attention to the weekly sales? Notice how Nintendo has been publishing more units of software than any other publisher for months now? There's a reason why some third party software publishers like to whine about how Nintendo consoles are only good for Nintendo.

And when a $50 game is sold and you get the licensing cut, the publisher's cut, and the developer's cut, that's a heckuva lotta dough.

It's obviously great for Nintendo that they make profit off their hardware sales, too, but they make way more cash off the copy of Metroid, SMG, Mario Party and Wii Play that a dude buys with his Wii than they do off the Wii itself.

Been paying attention to Nintendo's financial reports? Notice how in Nintendo's 2007 & Q2 2008 fiscal years they made 30-40 percent more profit selling hardware compared to software? ofcourse not, b/c if you did read their reports, you wouldn't be acting like you actually knew where Nintendo makes most their money now would you? Think about it, Nintendo made somewhere around $45 profit for every Wii they've sold at launch. The manufacturing and production probably have droped even futher since then. It can take millions to develop games, market EACH one, and then manufacture them. How much of that 49.99 is still left? Do you really think it's more than the 50-70 dollars made from everyone of those 20,000,000 Wiis and 66,000,000 DS sold? No one is saying that Nintendo software ISN'T making money, but it's the hardware that makes more money especially after Nintendo has stoped making Wii commercials. Not to mention that you have to add accessories such as controllers to the hardware mix aswell. They will eventually profit more from software late in the hardware's life cycle, but both the DS and Wii are obviously still going strong, and by the time that happens, all the NintendyFanboys and Soccer moms in the world would already be waiting in line for the DS2 or Wii2.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/report/FY07FinancialResults.pdf

page 20.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/report/2QFY2008.pdf

page 21.

Please post more often!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Aj_habfan said:
PooperScooper said:
Aj_habfan said:
Wierd that they were making more profit with the PS1.

No they weren't... Everytime they introduce a new console their numbers will definatly drop.

No, for the 4 years before a new console was released PS1 made over 700 Million more.

PS2 has had a way longer lifespam though, so it's not especially fair to count all it's years.

The PS1 had a longer lifespan than the PS2 so far. Sony claimed it had a 11 year life span, I thought.

The PS3 related losses so far are definitely disturbing.  They've come half way to wiping out all of the profit Sony made with the PS1 and PS2.  Let's hope BD doesn't fail to catch on or it could have been a very expensive gamble for Sony. 

bbsin said:
Grey Acumen said:
Any chance we could get a comparative profit/loss reading from Microsoft and Nintendo as well?

I've done a little searching for nintendo, but all i can get from their official site is stuff going back to only 2003.

But if you're curious here's a sneak peak for nintendo before i can get all the info i want.

2006 - 800,000,000 in profit

2007 - 2,000,000,000 in profit.

Typically, Nintendo always profits because of their business model. They don't have an OS, electronics or movie studio division to back them up, so they can never really gamble alot and make a system that attempts to pushout advanced horse power or new media functions. If their approach were any different, all it'd take is one big mistake to become bankrupt. Nintendo usually takes recent or old technology and puts a new spin on it to sell, sometimes they win big(DS) and sometimes they get nothing (GC) but they never lose. This is the reason why there are still major Wii shortages, Nintendo doesn't want to put capitol into alot of factories b/c it would mean risk. I'd hate to see the day Sony or Microsoft takes the same business approach.

Actually I'd be suprised if they don't move in a direction similar to Nintendo next generation.  Nintendo is the only company making huge profits and eating up the market share.  I expect both Sony and Microsoft to scale back the power and size of their systems next gen and make them more mass market than they are now.  They'll likely still be more powerful and expensive than Nintendo's system, and still have a mostly hardcore focus though.  I don't think there'll be as large a gap next gen though.  Microsoft in particular will have to do something to increase intrest in the Xbox, because even though it's been successful this generation, it's beggining to slip and could end up in third place.  Which would be embarrassing at the best, and damage faith in the Xbox brand at worst. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

bbsin said:
famousringo said:

Been paying attention to the weekly sales? Notice how Nintendo has been publishing more units of software than any other publisher for months now? There's a reason why some third party software publishers like to whine about how Nintendo consoles are only good for Nintendo.

And when a $50 game is sold and you get the licensing cut, the publisher's cut, and the developer's cut, that's a heckuva lotta dough.

It's obviously great for Nintendo that they make profit off their hardware sales, too, but they make way more cash off the copy of Metroid, SMG, Mario Party and Wii Play that a dude buys with his Wii than they do off the Wii itself.

Been paying attention to Nintendo's financial reports? Notice how in Nintendo's 2007 & Q2 2008 fiscal years they made 30-40 percent more profit selling hardware compared to software? ofcourse not, b/c if you did read their reports, you wouldn't be acting like you actually knew where Nintendo makes most their money now would you? Think about it, Nintendo made somewhere around $45 profit for every Wii they've sold at launch. The manufacturing and production probably have droped even futher since then. It can take millions to develop games, market EACH one, and then manufacture them. How much of that 49.99 is still left? Do you really think it's more than the 50-70 dollars made from everyone of those 20,000,000 Wiis and 66,000,000 DS sold? No one is saying that Nintendo software ISN'T making money, but it's the hardware that makes more money especially after Nintendo has stoped making Wii commercials. Not to mention that you have to add accessories such as controllers to the hardware mix aswell. They will eventually profit more from software late in the hardware's life cycle, but both the DS and Wii are obviously still going strong, and by the time that happens, all the NintendyFanboys and Soccer moms in the world would already be waiting in line for the DS2 or Wii2.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/report/FY07FinancialResults.pdf

page 20.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/report/2QFY2008.pdf

page 21.

1. You're confusing revenue with profit, as reverie mentioned.

2. Hardware revenues are software revenues when you bundle a game with your console in two major markets and charge more for it there than you do in the unbundled market. A Wii in Japan is about 10% cheaper ($25), and that accounts for a major piece of that $50 you keep trowing around. I'm betting that the revenues from bundled Wii Sports get tossed in the hardware column on these finanical reports anyway, though.

3. If we assume your $50 profit per Wii number, Nintendo would only have to make $10 per Wii game sold to make just as much profit off of their Q2 '08 software sales as they did off their hardware sales. Since Nintendo's getting the developer's, publisher's, and licenser's share of software sales, I think $10 of profit would be a severe underestimation considering that Nintendo makes so many multi-million sellers.

If you want to assume that Wii's are making $100 of profit now, that just means those games have to be worth $20 each, which seems quite possible to me.

4. Historically, I doubt Nintendo was making more profit off of $100 Gamecubes than they were off the millions or copies of Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Sunshine, etc. The Wii is somewhat of an anomaly in that Nintendo have not needed to thin out their profit margins on the console in order to promote sales.

5. You're correct that the value of controllers and other peripherals muddies the water in trying to make a comparison between hardware vs. software. And I'm not seeing any numbers in these reports which would clear that up. Is a Nunchuck sale files under 'Console' or 'Others?' Your guess is as good as mine. Same goes for the margins on these sold accessories.

6. As you yourself point out, Nintendo is just now coming out of the transition period where their new hardware is being adopted. As the userbase grows, the ratio of hardware sold to software sold will shrink. This is only the first ~20% or so of the Wii's lifecycle, and software will be getting more and more profitable as it goes on.

This TLDR post brought to you by: My Friday @ Work.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

@famousringo: Honestly... And how much money do you think Nintendo makes off of every DS? we're not just talking about 20 million Wiis here. 66 million DS with a probable plus 50-65 USD profit return. Do the math and tinker around with the net income they already have since 2005. It ain't hard, it's Nintendo's business model, they've been doing it for years. Their strategy is to make the bulk of their money off of Hardware and try to sell their hardware to a broader casual market. It wouldn't work for software because each casual consumer don't buy alot of games, most people with Wii and DS are satisfied with WiiSports or brainage alone.