By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Computer Entertainment: profit/losses timeline since 1996 to 2007

TheRealMafoo said:
Anyone have a list like this for MS's console division?

Nice post btw.

I might do one for either Nintendo or Microsoft tomorrow and the day after if I can find all the information and put it together before someone else.

Around the Network

Great Job!  That is very informative.  Thank you!

Does it mean PS3 era will be the first time SCEI loosing money for two consecutive years ?

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Any chance we could get a comparative profit/loss reading from Microsoft and Nintendo as well?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
Any chance we could get a comparative profit/loss reading from Microsoft and Nintendo as well?

I've done a little searching for nintendo, but all i can get from their official site is stuff going back to only 2003.

But if you're curious here's a sneak peak for nintendo before i can get all the info i want.

2006 - 800,000,000 in profit

2007 - 2,000,000,000 in profit.

Typically, Nintendo always profits because of their business model. They don't have an OS, electronics or movie studio division to back them up, so they can never really gamble alot and make a system that attempts to pushout advanced horse power or new media functions. If their approach were any different, all it'd take is one big mistake to become bankrupt. Nintendo usually takes recent or old technology and puts a new spin on it to sell, sometimes they win big(DS) and sometimes they get nothing (GC) but they never lose. This is the reason why there are still major Wii shortages, Nintendo doesn't want to put capitol into alot of factories b/c it would mean risk. I'd hate to see the day Sony or Microsoft takes the same business approach.

When this FY numbers come out in april, Nintendo has made more profit this fiscal year, than SCE between FY 1996-2008.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
When this FY numbers come out in april, Nintendo has made more profit this fiscal year, than SCE between FY 1996-2008.
No, unless they magically create alot more factories to manufacture Wii's and it becomes Chirtmas again.

Great post, you're just missing the partial data which is already available about the ongoing fiscal year (first 3 quarters). From memory, I believe it's a $700m loss so far.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

"so they can never really gamble alot"

I dunno, I think the Wii and DS were pretty big gambles, wouldn't you think so?

bbsin said:
bdbdbd said:
No, unless they magically create alot more factories to manufacture Wii's and it becomes Chirtmas again.

I wasn't exactly serious with my post since i don't remember the numbers, but it's not going to be far off. Btw. what are the numbers this year so far?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
bbsin said:
bdbdbd said:

I wasn't exactly serious with my post since i don't remember the numbers, but it's not going to be far off. Btw. what are the numbers this year so far?

No, it's probably not going to be far off at all.... err, wait...now that i think about, it probably IS going to go pass 3.5 billion.

@DequelloNWR: No, both the DS or Wii were really not a gambles at all. Touch screen technology, wifi and motion sensoring are relatively inexpensive. Nintendo always had to make sure they were never put in a spot where if a product messes up big, they'd be bankrupt (or close to)... like Sega and SNK. They don't have huge parent companies telling them what to do or plugging in money when something goes wrong. That's why they HAVE to profit with hardware and the only way to achieve that is by using recent/older technology standards.