By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of current gen" Shin'en

curl-6 said:

ZombiU doesn't do anything to make the system work hard though. It doesn't do more than games like Need for Speed, it just does different things. Sure, it does character rigging (badly) and the like which NFS doesn't, but that's actually less technically demanding than a lot of what NFS does. (Open streaming world, more advanced shaders, etc)

If you want an apples to apples comparison, a good example would be Black Ops II, also on Wii U, also an FPS. It does better animation than ZombiU, better character models, better shaders, more complex AI, more happening at once. And if a subpar port is outperforming ZombiU, that's not a sign it's making good use of the system.

NFS doesn't really have to deal much with animations, A.I., physics and such though which FPS deal with given how racers go, they're doing different things but I don't see much that NFS does to make it in another league like you claim as racing games always look good because they're more limited in what goes on in them. COD outperforming ZombiU is m00t as things go because they're both most likely causing more work then those games you listed which is the point, COD is a better example then the games you listed.

Around the Network
Raze said:
DanneSandin said:
At least 1st party games will be and look great I guess... Though, we won't see many 3rd parties taking advantage of this.

ZombiU already has, so I guess at least Ubisoft is already putting time into the hardware.

Sadly theyre the only ones, and I hope the continue doing so

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Soleron said:

If we're defining generation by time, it's current gen

If we're defining generation by class of hardware power, it's last-gen

No one defines generation by how difficult it is to extract all the performance, like the article implies. If that were true, PS3 is part of the twenty-third generation.

That's not exactly what he's talking about though.

He's talking about how much performance you can get out of the hardware compaired to past hardware.

For example, if you took Xbox 360 Archtecture, PS3 architecture and Wii U Artchitecture with identaly statistics...

the Wii U architecture would far outperform the PS3, which would slightly outperform the 360. 

This is aso the exact same metric used by people talking about Sony and Microsoft's consoles being a generation ahead of PCs... even though both consoles are far inferior to PCs.

Talking about a consoles architecture instead of it's power is the new PR gimic this generation... and everyone is making use of it.

curl-6 said:
Raze said:
curl-6 said:

Raze said:

ZombiU already has, so I guess at least Ubisoft is already putting time into the hardware.

Really? I thought ZombiU looked very unimpressive myself. Certainly not even close to Trine 2: Director's Cut, Need For Speed Most Wanted U, or Nano Assault Neo.

Did you play it yourself, or just go by screenshots and vids? The graphical quality was pretty excellent from my standards. Granted, it didn't have the overly colorfulness Trine does, but colorful doesn't equal impressive graphics in my world. =)

I've seen it played by someone else. I don't see anything visually impressive about it myself; lighting and textures were mediocre, and character models and animations looked poor. It certainly didn't look like it was making use of the hardware.

I'll agree to disagree with you. =)

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

ZombiU doesn't do anything to make the system work hard though. It doesn't do more than games like Need for Speed, it just does different things. Sure, it does character rigging (badly) and the like which NFS doesn't, but that's actually less technically demanding than a lot of what NFS does. (Open streaming world, more advanced shaders, etc)

If you want an apples to apples comparison, a good example would be Black Ops II, also on Wii U, also an FPS. It does better animation than ZombiU, better character models, better shaders, more complex AI, more happening at once. And if a subpar port is outperforming ZombiU, that's not a sign it's making good use of the system.

NFS doesn't really have to deal much with animations, A.I., physics and such though which FPS deal with given how racers go, they're doing different things but I don't see much that NFS does to make it in another league like you claim as racing games always look good because they're more limited in what goes on in them. COD outperforming ZombiU is m00t as things go because they're both most likely causing more work then those games you listed which is the point, COD is a better example then the games you listed.

Except that again, ZombiU's animations, AI, physics and such are simplistic and not demanding at all. NFS has to deal with plenty that ZombiU doesn't; an open world streaming at high speeds, more advanced shaders, and it uses the Wii U's extra RAM for higher resolution textures than the PS3 or 360.  

The 3 games I listed all do things PS3/360 can't, that's what puts them in another league. ZombiU and Black Ops 2 don't.

Around the Network

lol @ people still arguing about this as if anyone of us actually knows.