By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of current gen" Shin'en

ViktorBKK said:

The ports that are in the market now, wouldn't even exist, if the Wii U was a massively different platform. It is not identical to 360, but it's not something entirely different either. A truly different system would be for example: ARM CPU, GPU with separate vertex & pixel shaders, seperate pools of ram.

Keep in mind that PS4 & XOne will be on 28nm silicon, and they will probably be in the 150W range, possibly more. We 've seen the XOne, and that thing is massive for a reason. Power consumption, combined with fabrication proccess are a very good indicator of expected performance, as well as cooling requirements.

I don't think that's entirely true, newer systems would be able to accomodate ports of older systems I recall hearing that 360 assets could be translated to the U quite easily it's justs developers didn't account for how the hardware operates due to the architecture. It's a case of the the architecture itself recognizes the old system's approach but doesn't run as effectively with it because it's best performance is obtained through it's prefered approach which the components are tailored to.

Around the Network
ViktorBKK said:

The ports that are in the market now, wouldn't even exist, if the Wii U was a massively different platform. It is not identical to 360, but it's not something entirely different either. A truly different system would be for example: ARM CPU, GPU with separate vertex & pixel shaders, seperate pools of ram.

Again, the 360 and Wii U aren't all that similar. CPU designs are significantly different, GPUs are of different generations. The Wii U is much more memory-intensive, with large caches and eDRAM favoured over raw speed.

Michael-5 said:

Maybe, I have yet to beat MP3, but from what I recall the game had a lot of dark gray indoor area's. Maybe I just haven't gotten to the sweeping outdoor area's, but I remember Pandora Drifts (i hope I got the name right) was particularly beautiful, and the musical score was so erie and suiting....most well done locale in a game IMO.

MP3 doesn't really put it's best foot forward as it's opening has a lot of grey indoor areas. Later in the game it really blossums though:

Sure Wii U GPU is several gens ahead in comparisson to 360/PS3 GPU. Its pretty obvious noone doubts that. We had like 6 GPU Generations since PS3/360 came out. It just has nothing to do with raw processing power. The lowest end 7xx series still gets beaten by a GTX 480 despite being several gens ahead.

PS4/Xbox1 are even more gens ahead and have the raw power to put that to use. Architecturally they are even ahead of PC. Still a Titan murders both consoles forever in terms of graphics and overall performance. Advanced =/= more power.

I think some people mix that up. And devs often confuse the public by not making it crystal clear what they mean with ahead.

Netyaroze said:

Architecturally they are even ahead of PC. Still a Titan murders both consoles forever in terms of graphics and overall performance. Advanced =/= more power.

I think some people mix that up. And devs often confuse the public by not making it crystal clear what they mean with ahead.

Architecturally they can only be lesser or equivalent to the PC, the PC always has the best performance and highest-end hardware, nVidia, AMD and Intel spend Billions in R&D every year refining each respective architectures for various chips, that technology then trickles down into other lower-end platforms such as Consoles.
For example Kabini/Jaguar was already in the pipeline for a long time before the consoles decided to use it and it was AMD's R&D into the Bobcat architecture that made it possible, the PC still has superior CPU's and Architectures available that make Kabini/Jaguar seem pitifull however.

Take the PS3 for instance, it included a Geforce 7-based graphics card, 1 week or so before the PS3's launch nVidia launched the Geforce 8 series which was a *massive* upgrade in every single respect, so before the PS3 even launched it was already outdated.

This time around, it looks like AMD will be launching the Radeon 8000 series around the same time the Playstation 4 and Xbox One launches, so the PC will already be a generation architecturally ahead.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
At least 1st party games will be and look great I guess... Though, we won't see many 3rd parties taking advantage of this.

ZombiU already has, so I guess at least Ubisoft is already putting time into the hardware.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Raze said:
DanneSandin said:
At least 1st party games will be and look great I guess... Though, we won't see many 3rd parties taking advantage of this.

ZombiU already has, so I guess at least Ubisoft is already putting time into the hardware.

Really? I thought ZombiU looked very unimpressive myself. Certainly not even close to Trine 2: Director's Cut, Need For Speed Most Wanted U, or Nano Assault Neo.

Pemalite said:
Netyaroze said:

Architecturally they are even ahead of PC. Still a Titan murders both consoles forever in terms of graphics and overall performance. Advanced =/= more power.

Architecturally they can only be lesser or equivalent to the PC, the PC always has the best performance and highest-end hardware, nVidia, AMD and Intel spend Billions in R&D every year refining each respective architectures for various chips, that technology then trickles down into other lower-end platforms such as Consoles.
For example Kabini/Jaguar was already in the pipeline for a long time before the consoles decided to use it and it was AMD's R&D into the Bobcat architecture that made it possible, the PC still has superior CPU's and Architectures available that make Kabini/Jaguar seem pitifull however.

Take the PS3 for instance, it included a Geforce 7-based graphics card, 1 week or so before the PS3's launch nVidia launched the Geforce 8 series which was a *massive* upgrade in every single respect, so before the PS3 even launched it was already outdated.

This time around, it looks like AMD will be launching the Radeon 8000 series around the same time the Playstation 4 and Xbox One launches, so the PC will already be a generation architecturally ahead.

I am refering to unified Ram which is just way more efficent and will come for PC in the future, also CPU GPU communication is better so in a sense they are ahead. The Chip Architecture is the same but bringing it all together has certain advantages. PC has the better parts but the overall system design can be improved.   

Can we even call the Wii U a next generation console? This thing is a next next generation console, it's a beast! SO MUCH POWAAAH!
Sony and Microsoft are so scared they haven't even released their consoles yet!?

Netyaroze said:

I am refering to unified Ram which is just way more efficent and will come for PC in the future, also CPU GPU communication is better so in a sense they are ahead. The Chip Architecture is the same but bringing it all together has certain advantages. PC has the better parts but the overall system design can be improved.   

PC had unified memory systems for decades, what do you think APU's are? What about any system with an IGP? The memory isn't split on such systems, the PC had unified memory systems far before the consoles, infact it was invented on the PC first.

Unified Ram also has downsides, for starters, the bandwidth is shared, you get memory contention etc'.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--