By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Samsung TV with Voice and Gesture Control Rivals Xbox One's Kinect

OdinHades said:
walsufnir said:
[...]

All of my gamer-friends have smart TVs and noone uses it because it is absoultey crap. Buy yourself one and test it yourself - it is of no use to most people. The interfaces are bad, apps are slow (Samsung has dual-cores by now in *TVs* to solve this issue) and the content is mostly nonsense if it's not the typical lovefilm-app, for example.

Aside from gaming, we don't know yet for sure if Xbox One is any better. :P

Also, Samsung already sells TVs with Quad-Cores. The functionality can also improve with firmware updates. I think Smart TVs might do pretty decent until Xbox One shows up. But as I said, we'll have to wait and see what happens. It's impossible to predict right now. I still think it would be smart for Microsoft to concentrate on gaming and not advertise those TV features too much.

"Aside from gaming, we don't know yet for sure if Xbox One is any better. :P"

Given how it works now on 360, it is already better :P

"Also, Samsung already sells TVs with Quad-Cores."

Already? Man... But it's still only the expensive models, right?

"The functionality can also improve with firmware updates."

I have a Samsung TV. Believe me, it also can get worse...

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ironman said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I think he's referring to the non-gaming audience MS is focusing so much attention on. That 37 minutes of that whole presentation was for non-gamers.

Which was brilliant. MS is stepping up the marketing strategy they had with the 360. The press release was not for the benefit of gamers. Obviousloy enybody with a brain knows that the One will play games...it is a game console after all. No, they wanted to highlight the features that would appeal to softcore gamers, and people who don't game because there is a lot there that appeals to those groups. I suspect E3 will highlight the gaming side. After all, why bore softcore/non-gamers with games when you can highlight the revolutionary aspects of the new AIO media center. And why bore the hard core gamers  at E3 with stuff they don't care about? Having two press conferences taylored to two demographics of people within two weeks of each other is a stroke of marketing genious. As for the Samsung TV, it will serve a niche market. Smart TVs have been out for a while, but their functionality has not been up to par with add on devices like Roku and media PCs. Furthermore, I do not suggest anybody buy a smart TV for the "smart" capabilities as the tech used is often outdated within a few months of reaching the market, the UIs tend to be clunky, and cumbersome, and it is far more likely that an external device will receive updates, as well as far cheaper to replace an external device than a Smart TV. In the end, the Samsung TV won't even make a dent in the Xbox One's sales.

On a side note, I was talking to YoJohn the other night about the future of gaming. I could see it going to the cloud, as TVs become smarter, internet becomes more availible and cheaper, and online storage/cloud computing becomes larger and more powerful, all the TV would need is a rudimentary firmware that allowed it acess the cloud. All the processing, graphics, and memory would be computed in the cloud leaving virtually no work for the TV. But we are not there yet, and may not be next gen either. As for physical media, I don't think it will ever go away, there will always be demand for it. As such, it will evolve into more memory on smaller more efficient devices. 

The Xbox one must primarily gain the interest of non-gamers for games first. The Kinect sold because they marketed the games to casuals everywhere possible in the states. The Xbox One is primarily a videogame console and a TV that does the primary Kinect functions might present a problem for MS. It doesn't matter if a technie buys a Xbone out of curiousity, the casuals will flock to the games, even if its one or two of them. The settop box isnt enough.

Lol, you can't be serious. The Xbox one is not primarily a game system, you could make that argument with the 360, but it's ridiculous to do so with the One. It's a combination of media center and game console. If anything, the press release the other day should have told you that. Also, did you not read a word I said. The Samsung TV does not do everything Kinect does, and it has far too many drawbacks. It doesn't matter what demographic the consumer is from, in the vast majority of cases they will choose the One over the tv because the One brings far more to the table.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
- Smart TV's will have sold 141 million by 2015.

Did you ever use it? Really, it is mostly crap. Apps don't work, videos are stuttering, "games" are bs...

And yes, they are doing well but this doesn't contradict my points. But we will see how it turns out - it's of no use to predict how or if one TV-manufacturer will steal the show from Xbone.

1/3 of my gamer friends have smart TV's, and the only ones who ignore the apps are the gamers because of the console experience. I am thinking about getting one myself.

All of my gamer-friends have smart TVs and noone uses it because it is absoultey crap. Buy yourself one and test it yourself - it is of no use to most people. The interfaces are bad, apps are slow (Samsung has dual-cores by now in *TVs* to solve this issue) and the content is mostly nonsense if it's not the typical lovefilm-app, for example.

My friend just got like a 60 inch smart tv and before he got his PS3, he was using netflix on the TV just fine.

The apps on smart TV's are pretty terrible in performance and UI when you compare them to what the PS3 and 360 but it's certainly better than nothing and to the average person it is simply a nice, convenient feature. When you're watching TV and want to watch something on an app it's much easier just to load up the TV app then it is to turn on a console, switch inputs, and load up an app from the console.

As a side note Stage could you please delete any quotes that go past 3 quotes whenever you're replying to someone?