By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo researches GPGPU powered cloud computing

HoloDust said:
Nice. Seems quite plausible that all platforms will move to some sort of cloud assisted processing in the future...

November 2013 is THE FUTURE!!!

Around the Network
FrancisNobleman said:
Not happening in Wii U lifetime if they're "investigating" it now.

Just how long it took to develop the ultra simple miiverse for browser, and the 3ds version didn't come out yet. Nintendo is slow developing some stuff indeed.

This is, sadly, true =/

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I think it'll be a while before this actually takes off. Microsoft seem to be pushing this the most but I don't think it'll be until the end of the gen that we actually see anything truly spectacular come of this.

I have said this before, it is not going to work. Cloud based computing is usefull for example research where they can let a cloud based server do several complex calculations that take alot of computing power. They can simply send a request with what they want calculated and then get the answer back in a fraction of the time that it would cost if they did it on a regular pc. Latency doesn't matter in this case.

You can't use it for something real-time like a video game. It's either letting the cloud-based server process everything and stream (compressed) video and audio back or let the gaming console do all the work, not a combination of both. It's also much more efficient to just let the server calculate everything and stream image and audio back since it requires much less information to be send back and forth.

i don't see Nintendo using it much this gen since they always like to wait for things to be widely adopted before using them and i don't see that happening for cloud computing soon.

Around the Network
AnthonyW86 said:

I have said this before, it is not going to work. Cloud based computing is usefull for example research where they can let a cloud based server do several complex calculations that take alot of computing power. They can simply send a request with what they want calculated and then get the answer back in a fraction of the time that it would cost if they did it on a regular pc. Latency doesn't matter in this case.

You can't use it for something real-time like a video game. It's either letting the cloud-based server process everything and stream (compressed) video and audio back or let the gaming console do all the work, not a combination of both. It's also much more efficient to just let the server calculate everything and stream image and audio back since it requires much less information to be send back and forth.

Yeah, the network infrastructure just isn't in place to make this viable for most people. Even if they use it for calculating elements that aren't entirely dependent on latency, problems are bound to arise in data transfer.

Nintendo stealing ideas from other comp...can't be true ,never.

(though i still don't get how they can synchronise the data that has to be calculated?they had huge problems with the saturn to synchronize the two chips,now they have to sent data to the cloud,the cloud has to calculate the data and sent it back-time for sending,calculating,receiving and than synchronizing should cause some serious problems)

edit:sorry,anthony already answered the question,it's exactly what i think.

Oh no, it's getting worse! Now MS also betrayed Nintendo with teasing a technology nobody here knows about but some "techies" already said it's impossible. MS is really, really evil...

Scoobes said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Yeah, the network infrastructure just isn't in place to make this viable for most people. Even if they use it for calculating elements that aren't entirely dependent on latency, problems are bound to arise in data transfer.

Indeed but even if the infrastructure was there, letting the server do all the work and simply stream video and audio to the user would be much more efficient. It would only take a fraction of the amount of data needed compared to sending constant request for calculations real-time. Also most internet connections have a much lower upload than download speed, and with game streaming the user only has to upload the controller input.

OnLive was very functional but the lag was just a bit to much and video/audio quality was to compressed. I have always stated that the upcoming generation of consoles will be the last of it's kind, future generations will simply be gateway points for media streams. Even a PS3 could easily handle the most demanding streaming service.

ironmanDX said:
HoloDust said:
Nice. Seems quite plausible that all platforms will move to some sort of cloud assisted processing in the future...

November 2013 is THE FUTURE!!!

Well, technically, yes, November is the future...not sure though that we'll see widespread adoption of that approach to development for quite some time. ;)