By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do you think the Wii U will fail, when the 3DS came out of a similar horrible slump and even the Vita has stuck in the fight?

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
I find this whole thread funny, considering it was made by one of the BIGGEST 3DS doomers on this site. Didnt Spurg sell his 3ds? Charming. 3DS never did as bad as Wii U is now and no said that 3ds was never gonna recover. Dont know where he got that from. No one is saying that Wii U wont recover now, there just saying its doing poorly because it is.

Some are, here's an example:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5370962

that doesnt say it wont recover, the guy never said that. He said it was dead in the water. WHich is what alot of people have said and they are not really wrong. however. they could always recover, which i believe it will. How much so I dont know.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
I find this whole thread funny, considering it was made by one of the BIGGEST 3DS doomers on this site. Didnt Spurg sell his 3ds? Charming. 3DS never did as bad as Wii U is now and no said that 3ds was never gonna recover. Dont know where he got that from. No one is saying that Wii U wont recover now, there just saying its doing poorly because it is.

that doesnt say it wont recover, the guy never said that. He said it was dead in the water. WHich is what alot of people have said and they are not really wrong. however. they could always recover, which i believe it will. How much so I dont know.

I agree with you that it will recover, and I too don't know by how much. I have to agree with the posts that say that the currently slated content (pikmin, zelda) is gamecube stuff, whereas the WiiU needs some non-gamer stuff for the mainstream. 3D Mario is as good as that gets in the near future.

Regarding the guy's post, http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/dead+in+the+water.html. I know it doesn't matter, but I just wanted you to know that some guys have been dooming the U straight up and we both agree that that's incorrect.

Nintendo wont recover to what some are expecting it to (6mil before November)

1: Base appeal, the 3DS always had some appeal, the Wii U does not. It is aimed at no one in particular and at everyone, all at once and has a core design that does not appeal to any one market. The Gamepad was a big part of this.

2: Competition, the 3DS basically has/had no competition since the Vita is a massive slug that barely moves and the PSP was basically short-sticked by everyone when the Vita arrived.

3: Price and value for money, in the home console market, the Wii U is percieved as expensive and unimpressive on specs, dedicated handhelds have rarely had this problem.

4: Nintendo's overall situation, Nintendo's finances were very good when the 3DS launched, which meant that they had a lot of wiggle room for price cuts and advertisement even if the 3DS was already sold at a loss, they do not have that liberty now since they're losing a lot of money overall.

5: Competing with two generations at once; this is somewhat of a wild card but I don't understad why people assume that the PS4 and Xbox One will do Nintendo any good, they will basically have twice as many competing consoles.

6: Support, the 3DS came off of the massively popular DS, which not only sold tons of hardware but also moved 3rd party software like there was no tomorrow. The Wii U does not have this luxury, the Wii had really poor 3rd party support and the Wii U is destined to carry on this tradition and have it even worse since the hardware sales are so bad to boot.

7: In-house development cycle and features/services; the Wii U is Nintendo's first HD console, they are not adapted to develoing HD games yet, the budgets are a lot bigger and the development cycles greatly extended. To top it all off, Nintendo have no pedigree and almost no allies when it comes to online and remote services and their Gamepad is seen mostly as a bulky, unwieldly knock-off of a tablet device.
They can't simply spew out titles at a high rate to stem the slow sales, the cost is high and the development more time consuming, they are also having massive issues with installs, slow OS and servers for patch downloads, a lot of features are still not operational and they lack the media capabilities of the coming PS4 and Xbox One.

In short; the 3DS and Wii U situations are vastly, vastly different and cannot be compared at all. The handheld market and the home console market are just too different, Nintendo are having financial issues and they lack development efficency and knowledge/pedigree with online components and media capability, they have basically no 3rd party support to help them and even if the managed to reduce the price greatly, they would still be trying to sell a product no one seems to want, the 3DS never had that issue, it had good appeal allround.

People like to use the 3DS as an example of how the Wii U can bounce back and do well. It doesn't work that way, not any more than one can doom the PS4 because the Vita is failing, it's a really poor argument at best. I suppose it would depend on ones definition of "do well" but in my opinion and by all logic, the Wii U is destined for "well below greatness" at the very least, regardless of what Nintendo comes up with. The Wii U was a mistake in design, launch and idea, nothing can retroactively change that.

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

I agree with you that it will recover, and I too don't know by how much. I have to agree with the posts that say that the currently slated content (pikmin, zelda) is gamecube stuff, whereas the WiiU needs some non-gamer stuff for the mainstream. 3D Mario is as good as that gets in the near future.

Regarding the guy's post, http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/dead+in+the+water.html. I know it doesn't matter, but I just wanted you to know that some guys have been dooming the U straight up and we both agree that that's incorrect.

THere will always be some people hating. But I think the people who feel the WIi U will fail are in the minority. When i say fail i mean, DC/Saturn sitiuation where they have to discontinue the console. I dont see that happening to anyone.

Around the Network

The 3DS is the best handheld, the Wii U is a console. Nintendo holds no sway unless they go after the casuals.

Mummelmann said:

People like to use the 3DS as an example of how the Wii U can bounce back and do well. It doesn't work that way, not any more than one can doom the PS4 because the Vita is failing, it's a really poor argument at best. I suppose it would depend on ones definition of "do well" but in my opinion and by all logic, the Wii U is destined for "well below greatness" at the very least, regardless of what Nintendo comes up with. The Wii U was a mistake in design, launch and idea, nothing can retroactively change that.

A mistake in design? According, apparently, to your personal opinion. Most people I know that actually own it, myself included, love the thing, the system's design, the controller's design. So I'm really not sure what the hell you're talking about. It would be pretty far fetched to assume that the Wii U, regardless of how it ultimately does, could be "destined for well below greatness". Dooming a console when it hasn't even been out an entire year, is a fool's assessment, sorry.

Mummelmann said:

1: Base appeal, the 3DS always had some appeal, the Wii U does not. It is aimed at no one in particular and at everyone, all at once and has a core design that does not appeal to any one market. The Gamepad was a big part of this.

2: Competition, the 3DS basically has/had no competition since the Vita is a massive slug that barely moves and the PSP was basically short-sticked by everyone when the Vita arrived.

3: Price and value for money, in the home console market, the Wii U is percieved as expensive and unimpressive on specs, dedicated handhelds have rarely had this problem.

4: Nintendo's overall situation, Nintendo's finances were very good when the 3DS launched, which meant that they had a lot of wiggle room for price cuts and advertisement even if the 3DS was already sold at a loss, they do not have that liberty now since they're losing a lot of money overall.

5: Competing with two generations at once; this is somewhat of a wild card but I don't understad why people assume that the PS4 and Xbox One will do Nintendo any good, they will basically have twice as many competing consoles.

6: Support, the 3DS came off of the massively popular DS, which not only sold tons of hardware but also moved 3rd party software like there was no tomorrow. The Wii U does not have this luxury, the Wii had really poor 3rd party support and the Wii U is destined to carry on this tradition and have it even worse since the hardware sales are so bad to boot.

7: In-house development cycle and features/services; the Wii U is Nintendo's first HD console, they are not adapted to develoing HD games yet, the budgets are a lot bigger and the development cycles greatly extended. To top it all off, Nintendo have no pedigree and almost no allies when it comes to online and remote services and their Gamepad is seen mostly as a bulky, unwieldly knock-off of a tablet device.
They can't simply spew out titles at a high rate to stem the slow sales, the cost is high and the development more time consuming, they are also having massive issues with installs, slow OS and servers for patch downloads, a lot of features are still not operational and they lack the media capabilities of the coming PS4 and Xbox One.

In short; the 3DS and Wii U situations are vastly, vastly different and cannot be compared at all. The handheld market and the home console market are just too different, Nintendo are having financial issues and they lack development efficency and knowledge/pedigree with online components and media capability, they have basically no 3rd party support to help them and even if the managed to reduce the price greatly, they would still be trying to sell a product no one seems to want, the 3DS never had that issue, it had good appeal allround.

I don't own a Wii U so I don't know but I was under the understanding that the slow OS thing was resolved.

For the rest you make good points, but we yet don't know how Nintendo deals with HD development effort and extended dev time. For all we know they may be inclined to create games that people like that don't necessarily boast the greatest of visuals, keeping their console alive with their entertainment value rather than visual beauty. Still early to tell. I know that pikmin will have nice detail, but I'm not sure how Nintendo is managing their dev effort overall, time will tell still.

I though you made a very good post with good points but I can't say I fully agree just yet.

Well, judging WiiU before it's had its first full holiday on the market is preposterous, I say!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:
Well, judging WiiU before it's had its first full holiday on the market is preposterous, I say!

Wait, I thought their first fulll holiday was last year, you know, christmas holiday? Or am I thinking this wrongly?? O.o'

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!