By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why Oval/Stock Car Racing is Awesome

well, if they have so many overtakes it seems as if the first 60 overtakes mean nothing. they could just drive 1/5 of the time they do and would still have 15 overtakes and a photofinish.

that is exactly one reason why i find it so boring. 88 passes for the lead? why exactly did i have to see the first 80? in f1, a driver needs rounds to overtake someone who has also a good car, that's tension. you hope for rounds that your favourite driver will surpass the guy in front of him. if they would change the lead all the time i would know that i just have to watch the last minutes.

that's also a reason why football (soccer) is so popular on this planet. it's so exciting because one goal can be enough in 90 minutes.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
well, if they have so many overtakes it seems as if the first 60 overtakes mean nothing. they could just drive 1/5 of the time they do and would still have 15 overtakes and a photofinish

But who would buy a $100 ticket for 45 minutes of entertainment? 

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

BlowoverKing said:
crissindahouse said:
well, if they have so many overtakes it seems as if the first 60 overtakes mean nothing. they could just drive 1/5 of the time they do and would still have 15 overtakes and a photofinish

But who would buy a $100 ticket for 45 minutes of entertainment? 

i wrote much more and explained the difference. it is exciting because you don't have so many overtakes and stuff like that. every second can be important, in nascar, what exactly does overtake nr. 35 tell me? that there will be 50 more? why ecactly did i have to see nr. 35?

f1 lives from the tension as much as football (soccer). one is the favourite sport on this planet and the other one the favourite race series on this planet.

crissindahouse said:

that is exactly one reason why i find it so boring. 88 passes for the lead? why exactly did i have to see the first 80? in f1, a driver needs rounds to overtake someone who has also a good car, that's tension. you hope for rounds that your favourite driver will surpass the guy in front of him. if they would change the lead all the time i would know that i just have to watch the last minutes.

that's also a reason why football (soccer) is so popular on this planet. it's so exciting because one goal can be enough in 90 minutes.

You added this part while I was replying. But the same can be said for F1 or Football, why not just watch the first 5 laps of an F1 race or just watch untill they make the first goal in a football game?

The draw to NASCAR in the US is theres constantly something going on to keep you watching.In a 200 lap race your favorite driver could go from starting 7th to being in 19th after 50 laps then theres a pit stop and he gets his car driving better and he drives his way up to 5th by lap 100. Then a caution can come out and he takes only 2 tires instead of 4 gets the lead and watch to see if he can hold off the other cars that changed 4 tires. If not he will drop back to say 10th but then a caution can come out again with about 25 laps to go. He takes 4 tires and makes adjustments to the car and he can drive from 10th to 1st in the last 25 laps and take the win.

The whole race keeps you on your toes because anything could happen.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

BlowoverKing said:
BHR-3 said:
fan of nascar since mid 90s still watch the races every week

i like nascar cause there is contact during races never watched anything open wheel

its a bit boring now cause ive been a fan of the sport for so long and the ledgens are gone Earnhardt Wallace Labonte to name a few

Yeah I'm only 19 so I can only remember from about 1998 on but it is sad seeing legends like that go and guys that were good from 1998-2002 like jeff burton, bobby labonte, and mark martin not having alot of success now. Who is your favorite driver now?

dale jr and brad kesloswki

Play Me

Around the Network

people say anything is boring if they don't know it or it is not in their culture of growing up,we don't have oval tracks over here,i think they did have a race here in uk not so long ago,i seem to remember something anyway,

i see nascar/oval racing sometimes late at night over here,i think it is fine to watch,i watch test cricket trust me you don't know boring,F1 can be boring too

Above & Beyond

It just doesn't interest me personally. I read the OP, and you make some fair points, but I just honestly don't enjoy watching it.

Too many laps, too many cars.

I agree with you 100%, I love NASCAR!!! Only it ain't easy to follow the sport for someone living in Croatia.

NASCAR Racing 2003 is still the best NASCAR game ever made, but not just because it's so damn good. Also because (with very few exceptions) every NASCAR game that came after completely sucked.

How come crashing more often is a plus? I mean isn't about driving anymore? Is like the monster truck shows or what?

I don't like F1 either but even I can see why is more popular and respected.