By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Builtlean Top 5 Health Benefits of Spices

Top 5 Health Benefits of Spices

Spices offer much more than a decorative addition to meals. Aside from making food taste better, they can help to protect against obesity, as well as chronic conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.

What makes them so powerful? Polyphenol, which is a type of plant compound, provide the primary benefits that spices bring to the dinner table. It can also be found in tea, red wine, and fruits and veggies.1

Spices are linked to several health advantages: 2 3

Health Benefit #1 – Spices May Help You Control Your Weight

We tend to eat bland foods faster with less satisfaction than tasty foods. And when we’re not satisfied, we’re bound to overeat, and inevitably gain weight.

Using spices over salty sauces keeps the flavor but nixes the extra salt, as well as calories, fat and sugar.

In fact, a study shows that a compound found in chili peppers called dihydrocapsiate can rev people’s fat-burning capacity when they eat it three times a day.

Health Benefit #2 – Spices May Help Prevent High Blood Pressure & Diabetes

Every one in three Americans has high blood pressure.

But evidence shows that adding certain spices to foods can help bring blood pressure rates down.
For example, the spice cardamom is found to reduce blood pressure and improve antioxidant status. And cinnamon can potentially fight diabetes. The antioxidants in cinnamon are linked to lower inflammation, as well as reductions in blood glucose concentrations in people with diabetes.

Health Benefit #3 – Spices May Have Cancer-Fighting Components

Some spices, like turmeric and cumin, have certain cancer-fighting components. For instance, turmeric contains polyphenol curcumin, which has been proven to slow or halt the growth of cancer cells causing melanoma, leukemia, and breast, brain, pancreatic, and prostate cancers.

Health Benefit #4 – Eating Spices Instead of Salt Helps Reduce Sodium Intake

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Dietary Guidelines of 2010 recommend people under 51 reduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams. They recommend anyone over 51 to reduce intake to 1,500 milligrams, as well as anyone who is African American, has hypertension, diabetes or chronic kidney disease. Thus, the dietary guidelines require most Americans to find substitutes to salt and other sodium-based additives.4

Health Benefit #5 – Spices Can Keep the Heart and Lungs Healthy

Several spices, especially ones sourced from India, have great potential to maintain a strong heart. Spices like ginger and turmeric, can serve as preventative and treatment agents for managing heart diseases. Ginger’s anti-inflammatory makeup is useful in fighting heart disease, and studies show turmeric can help counteract conditions like cystic fibrosis and other lung diseases, and even muscle injuries.5

Plus, some spices can actually stop glycation (when a sugar molecule bonds with a protein or fat molecule) and formation of AGE compounds, which cause premature aging and heart disease.

Take advantage of these amazing benefits and use some spice in your food today. Let us know you’ve what added them to to create new possibilities.

http://www.builtlean.com/2013/05/22/health-benefits-spices/

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
I like to use Curry on a lot of things.

Also, Garlic keeps bugs away.

Speaking of bugs and  spices, Cinnamon also keeps ants away.

spurgeonryan said:
JayWood2010 said:
spurgeonryan said:

It also is healthy in small doses, but can kill you in large doses or make you high.

Didn't know that lol  But in the article it does say this "And cinnamon can potentially fight diabetes. The antioxidants in cinnamon are linked to lower inflammation, as well as reductions in blood glucose concentrations in people with diabetes."

spurgeonryan said:
Many things in moderation are good for you. Besides soda.

Did you read that yahoo thread about green tea? Some of it is worse than sugar water. Despite it saying that green tea is healthy.

lol I will forever be remembered as the guy who dislikes soda to you aren't i? haha

No i haven't.  I use to have Yahoo as my home page but now I have it set to speed dial.  I need to set it back though.    I don't like tea but I have always been under the impression it is good for you.  I do know that Green Tea Extract helps you lose weight though.  Along with other things combined though

spurgeonryan said:
JayWood2010 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Many things in moderation are good for you. Besides soda.

Did you read that yahoo thread about green tea? Some of it is worse than sugar water. Despite it saying that green tea is healthy.

lol I will forever be remembered as the guy who dislikes soda to you aren't i? haha

No i haven't.  I use to have Yahoo as my home page but now I have it set to speed dial.  I need to set it back though.    I don't like tea but I have always been under the impression it is good for you.  I do know that Green Tea Extract helps you lose weight though.  Along with other things combined though

Well, american society and probably others, thinks that anything can be made to taste great! Just add a ton of sugar into it. When this happens, the once healthy drink, turns into poison. For you stomach, Heart, teeth, liver, and everything else. Even if it is artificial sugar.

Completely true.  We have a huge problem with obesity or overweight in America.  Actually in most of the world.  Other countries are actually not to far behind America.  United States is 3rd with 66% obesity rate.  All of the top 10 are above 60% which includes UK, New Zealand, and Germany.  I actually find that kind of amusing though since these countries make fun of America yet they are also at an extremely high obesity rate.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

Completely true.  We have a huge problem with obesity or overweight in America.  Actually in most of the world.  Other countries are actually not to far behind America.  United States is 3rd with 66% obesity rate.  All of the top 10 are above 60% which includes UK, New Zealand, and Germany.  I actually find that kind of amusing though since these countries make fun of America yet they are also at an extremely high obesity rate.

i believe you confuse overweight with obesity. overweight is pretty common in most countries but that includes everyone above ideal, even if he has so little too much that he will never have a problem with it. but that isn't the problem. the problem is obesity and the amount of people who live with that is higher in usa. 

crissindahouse said:
JayWood2010 said:

i believe you confuse overweight with obesity. overweight is pretty common in most countries but that includes everyone above ideal, even if he has so little too much that he will never have a problem with it. but that isn't the problem. the problem is obesity and the amount of people who live with that is higher in usa. 

I'll agree with that.  No argument there :)  

JayWood2010 said:
spurgeonryan said:
JayWood2010 said:
spurgeonryan said:

It also is healthy in small doses, but can kill you in large doses or make you high.

Didn't know that lol  But in the article it does say this "And cinnamon can potentially fight diabetes. The antioxidants in cinnamon are linked to lower inflammation, as well as reductions in blood glucose concentrations in people with diabetes."

Mmmmmmm I love cinnamon. :)