By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Acceptance - An effort to improve the community.

benao87 said:
I still have to check the other thread, but apparently OP has no right to call for sensibility.

However, I do think he has a post. Video Games forums as part of the interwebz has a very low level of debate, and most of the time it's childish arguments trying to prove that mine is bigger than yours. Sometimes it does involve women (so it's not a gender thing)

I remember a situation, can't say who it was, because I really can't remember who it was, but he said that Nintendo fans usually won the debates because, around VGC, they had a lot of older members so they knew better how to debate. My mind was blown ever since that phrase.

And, what Nikkom said.

I agree, but if you compare VGChartz with most other video game communities (say N4G or IGN *shudder*) I think you'll find our community is still a lot more mature. Partly due to experinced users and partly due to our relatively strict moderation system. The level of debate on VGChartz is relatively high, although it most definately still is higher on NeoGAF^^

Around the Network
KHlover said:
benao87 said:
I still have to check the other thread, but apparently OP has no right to call for sensibility.

However, I do think he has a post. Video Games forums as part of the interwebz has a very low level of debate, and most of the time it's childish arguments trying to prove that mine is bigger than yours. Sometimes it does involve women (so it's not a gender thing)

I remember a situation, can't say who it was, because I really can't remember who it was, but he said that Nintendo fans usually won the debates because, around VGC, they had a lot of older members so they knew better how to debate. My mind was blown ever since that phrase.

And, what Nikkom said.

I agree, but if you compare VGChartz with most other video game communities (say N4G or IGN *shudder*) I think you'll find our community is still a lot more mature. Partly due to experinced users and partly due to our relatively strict moderation system. The level of debate on VGChartz is relatively high, although it most definately still is higher on NeoGAF^^

That is an understatement.  GameSpot is horrible when it comes to immaturity.  I can't speak for NeoGAF though.

Basil, you are being deliberately obtuse. You know damn well that the denotative definitions of those words don't apply here. People tend to use the connotations of Fanboy and fan, which is what I did too. I was using the connotation of fanboy, which refers to an unreasonably devoted fan. You know this and you are being dishonest.

1. No. A comparison is not bad. Like I said, it was an exaggeration which is an acceptable logical method. Educate yourself.

2. Like I said, I'm using the connotation of fanboy.

As for the pics. The gifs are more offensive because they crowd threads, preventing reasonable discussion, and they directly target All Nintendo and Microsoft fans. Not all of the gifs are bad though. I wasn't talking about those gif.

3. No. Yo know nothing Basil. Opinions describe personal emotional feelings. Predictions attempt to analytically and objectively describe the real world.

4. I already talked about this

Basil, I know you are smarter than this. Why are you ignoring things when I know you know better? What do you have against me?

pokoko said:
Rudisha said:
KHlover said:
Rudisha said:
KHlover said:
Sure, Hit and Run threads are the perfect way to improve the community...(the last one, not this one)

I did not "hit" anyone, if by "hit", you mean offending or insulting someone. Why would someone feel insulted by my opinion. Is it the case on VGChartz that you can't give an opinion if to unpopular. And the only reason I "run" is because most people either raged the thread or just ridiculed it altogether. They weren't worth responding to. There were a few people with valid counter arguments but by the time I tried to reply to them, my thread was locked.

It was clear that Sony fans would be riled up by your thread (whether this was intentional I can't judge yet, not seen enough threads by you) - this is the "Hit" part.

You then proceeded to log off and not log back  on again until after the thread was locked, not clarifying any of your statements or actually arguing with the Sony fans you riled up and only logging on again after the thread was locked - this is the "run" part.

See this is. Exactly the problem. My thread was not inherently bad. The bad thing is that Sony fans would get riled up. We should not be discriminated against simply because other people can't accept opinions. Like I said, the first posts responded with ridicule and tagging posts. The serious posts were later but I was too late to respond.

I'm being completely honest when I say that your poor use of logic was deserving of ridicule.  Just from reading Basil's quotes, I can see that much of what you said makes very little sense.  For example, if you "hate all thieves", you would certainly hate Microsoft, as they've had some of the most ruthless business practices ever.  Or the idea of having an "ulterior motive", you certainly know that Microsoft got into the console business for reasons other than gaming?

More than that, though, you're a person who "hates" a video game company, who is calling people out for caring too much about the videogame industry?  I mean, what?  That doesn't even ... what?  You would appear to be the one who cares far, far too deeply than is normal.

Your logic is broken without hope for repair. Microsoft is different from Sony because they have countered their thievery with new things as well (online gaming, Kinect, shooters on consoles, etc). So add to take ratio is above 1.0. Also, I may hate certain products and companies, but at least I'm not intolerant of other people's opinion, which is much worse.

Rudisha said:
Microsoft is different from Sony because they have countered their thievery with new things as well (online gaming, Kinect, shooters on consoles, etc). 

Yeah, I think that confirms things.  "Shooters on consoles," huh?

Anyway, everyone, time to call in the dogs.  I think it's past clear what we're dealing with.

And you, Rudisha, you have a good day and good luck with all your future endeavors.

Around the Network

What a bunch of self victimization and hypocrisy.

We have one thread just making vague rants against Sony and another that wants to have a Xbox One discussion with "no negativity".

Stop being so dramatic about fucking multinational firms and products. Stop being offended by other firms and opinions. Stop being a fanboy, and then whining that other fanboys are victimizing you.

Grow up from the console wars mentality, and just fucking talk with other people on forum. That's real life. Other people have different opinions and spend their money on their own way. Deal with it.

What we can't fucking deal with though, is the demands for censorship and fucking self victimizing whining that stifles discussion in this forum though.

KHlover said:
benao87 said:

And, what Nikkom said.

Fair enough. But, I think that NeoGaf and VGC are pretty similar in terms of Stupidity/Interesting Debate ratio. The only thing is that they tend to use more tech stuff, that are not very firendly with people that have no clue with hardware specs. But the points brought to debate are pretty much the same.

Akvod said:

We have one thread just making vague rants against Sony and another that wants to have a Xbox One discussion with "no negativity".

Stop being so dramatic about fucking multinational firms and products. Stop being offended by other firms and opinions. Stop being a fanboy, and then whining that other fanboys are victimizing you.

Grow up from the console wars mentality, and just fucking talk with other people on forum. That's real life. Other people have different opinions and spend their money on their own way. Deal with it.

What we can't fucking deal with though, is the demands for censorship and fucking self victimizing whining that stifles discussion in this forum though.

/thread

I completely agree, it is actually kind of depressing how the console wars make people behave on this site :(

The community is actually super when people just talk with each other about games :)

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Akvod said:

PREACH!!!!

I don't think I've ever come across a thread which has been splattered with someone's opinion in the OP and ends with the word "discuss" which has been a place for good discussion.

Invariably it just comes down to vague jabs ("Some people don’t like bad people, so it’s understandable to not want to associate with them") and a complete lack of objectivity that borders on obsessive fandom.

I don't for a second think created that you created that thread wanting good discussion. "Why I hate Sony" is not a title that remotely promotes discussion. "What are your thoughts on Sony's legacy in the gaming industry? Here are mine" would be a thread that people could discuss in.

I also find it hard to believe that you actually said in the OP here:

"This happened already to good-hearted users like Selnor and lilborex left. They had unpopular and strong opinions and were exiled by the community, even though they were fairly respectful."

I didn't hate Lilbroex because he had interesting opinions. But he literally could not see past the end of his nose in a discussion. He had his opinion and he would repeat it over and over and over again before resorting to insults. As such, it made him an incredibly unpleasant user to interactive with. I don't think the label "fairly respectful" would ever apply to him.