By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One and Used Games (From Larry Hryb)

Shinobi-san said:
Surely even the most diehard Xbox fans are getting frustrated with all this?

As an Xbox fan myself i'm a little frustrated with this. I like to buy some older games used that are expensive as hell at new price. This is very limiting to me, and also the once a day online thing serverly hurts consumers who live in areas with minimial or no internet connection. Very disappointed with this decision.

Around the Network

So it means one of 2 things and u can't really put a spin on it: The X1 has mandatory online requirements as you would need to sign in to your profile to play on your friend's console, or 2 the used games market, and even the borrowing market is fucked cause of this. I bet it's both though.

NYCrysis said:
So it means one of 2 things and u can't really put a spin on it: The X1 is infact always online as you would need to sign in to your profile to play on your friend's console, or 2 the used games market, and even the borrowing market is fucked cause of this. I bet it's both though.

Also must register every game you have using a one time registration key as well. So anyone without internet is fucked.

Wagram said:
NYCrysis said:
So it means one of 2 things and u can't really put a spin on it: The X1 is infact always online as you would need to sign in to your profile to play on your friend's console, or 2 the used games market, and even the borrowing market is fucked cause of this. I bet it's both though.

Also must register every game you have using a one time registration key as well. So anyone without internet is fucked.

Alwaaaaays online my friend. 

RenCutypoison said:
Just found this :

Do they really think people are stupid?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Regarding my previous post I meant mandatory online access not always online. Also nice way to spin this into a not a negative situation puggsly even though this is as bad as it can get for a console.

cannonballZ said:
Still sounds like no used games. And I just read that live tv on xbox one will require an additional "supported receiver device with HDMI output" sold separately.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-live-tv-available-in-us-only-at-launch-requires-separate-device/

Things aren't looking good for MS right now. This blocking used games made me totally change my mind on the system. I have 2 360's at home and often go back and forth between them. I don't want to have to pay a fee to do that or have to keep moving the system back and forth.

Why would you have to pay a fee if you go back and forward between 2 systems.  As stated, if you are logged into your account then the game will run no matter what machine you use.

Machiavellian said:
cannonballZ said:
Still sounds like no used games. And I just read that live tv on xbox one will require an additional "supported receiver device with HDMI output" sold separately.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-live-tv-available-in-us-only-at-launch-requires-separate-device/

Things aren't looking good for MS right now. This blocking used games made me totally change my mind on the system. I have 2 360's at home and often go back and forth between them. I don't want to have to pay a fee to do that or have to keep moving the system back and forth.

Why would you have to pay a fee if you go back and forward between 2 systems.  As stated, if you are logged into your account then the game will run no matter what machine you use.

If it does work that way, then you would definitely need internet connection. How else would you be able to use your user account on another system without it? I guess that would also mean that user accounts are no longer tied to hard drives themselves, which means you would also need internet just to log into any device. 

Edit: And also, what are your thoughts on possibly having to buy another device for live tv functionality?

Shinobi-san said:
Surely even the most diehard Xbox fans are getting frustrated with all this?

For me, yes... if the 24 hour online and the fee are real, sorry MS, but im gonna have to jump out to the ps4. They are just shooting themselves in the foot. Lets wait for the E3.

End of 2011 (made 02/01/11) 
Wii: 99.453 m
Xbox 360: 67.837 m 
Ps 3: 60.726 m

Best Games/Serie of the Generation

cannonballZ said:
Machiavellian said:
cannonballZ said:

If it does work that way, then you would definitely need internet connection. How else would you be able to use your user account on another system without it? I guess that would also mean that user accounts are no longer tied to hard drives themselves, which means you would also need internet just to log into any device. 

Edit: And also, what are your thoughts on possibly having to buy another device for live tv functionality?

Yes, you will need an internet connection in order to play your game only another system.  The game wll no longer be tied to a physical console but instead to your account.  

For the Live TV needing another device, I always though it would be this way.  The Xbox one is not a TV receiver so you will need a device to get the TV signal weather its a Cable box or your TV has a Tuner and can output that signal through HDMI out.