By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario and Sonic Racing - will Nintendo benefit from it?

Tagged games:

Would it be beneficial for Nintendo?

Yes 5 17.24%

No 5 17.24%

Possibly 9 31.03%

It's going to print money! 10 34.48%

Total:29

So there have been rumours going around for maybe an hour now (coming from a tweet) that a Mario and Sonic racing title is in the works. So, if this happends, will it be a good thing for Nintendo (I'm not even going to bother to as if it is for SEGA)? Since I'm pretty sure that the title would be for Wii U (only one mario kart pr. console), it will of cource sell systems. But will it do more than a stand alone Mario Kart? Nintendo would get help on developing the title, but they would also need to share the revenue of the software (remind you, MK on ds sold close to 30 million, the Wii game sold over 30 million), which is a lot of money. But the game woud be out sooner (probably) with the help of SEGA, and Nintendo needs to get stuff out this christmas.  

What do you think? How much would such a game sell? Would it do more than just a Mario Kart U? Will Nintendo benefit from this?

And here is a link to the MK/Sonic racing story: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/05/17/could-there-be-a-mario-kart-and-sonic-racing-crossover-on-the-way/

Around the Network

This is the third thread about this. But it does seem interesting.

Original thread.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:

Original thread.

I know it, I'm not reporting the story, I'm asking if you think Nintendo will actually benefit from doing this.

IsawYoshi said:
F0X said:

Original thread.

I know it, I'm not reporting the story, I'm asking if you think Nintendo will actually benefit from doing this.

SEGA would surely benefit from this. The Mario Kart franchise might benefit from a little kick in the pants. Whether or not Nintendo would benefit may depend on how much (worthwhile) support they manage to wrangle from SEGA from this deal.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

spurgeonryan said:
Ofcourse they will benefit. Just like they did with the Olympics threads.

The thing is, that when they made the Mario and Sonic Olympics games, they didn't replace anything. If Mario and Sonic Racing get's released this  christmas do you believe tht Nintendo will make a Mario Kart for the same Christmas/next year? I think they will make one of them, and this is where my question in the OP comes in.

Around the Network
F0X said:
IsawYoshi said:
F0X said:

Original thread.

SEGA would surely benefit from this. The Mario Kart franchise might benefit from a little kick in the pants. Whether or not Nintendo would benefit may depend on how much (worthwhile) support they manage to wrangle from SEGA from this deal.

But wouldn't SEGA demand say 30% of the income of the game? That is a massive blow for a series were you sell at least 10 millions, maybe more. That is a lot of income lost for Nintendo right there.

IsawYoshi said:
F0X said:
IsawYoshi said:
F0X said:

Original thread.

But wouldn't SEGA demand say 30% of the income of the game? That is a massive blow for a series were you sell at least 10 millions, maybe more. That is a lot of income lost for Nintendo right there.

There might also be the possibility that the rivalry billing could drive sales up substantially. Who's to say? Nintendo works in mysterious ways.

If the Mario+Sonic Racing is different enough they could make a Mario Kart as well - it all depends on how each game is played. So yes, they could very well benefit from such a thing.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

They will both benefit form this. I don't expect it to get anywhere near the Mario Kart sales but it will push hardware. If it gets out this holiday season then WiiU's should fly off the shelves. Fast forward umm.... 2 years maybe? When Mario Kart U comes out to further push hardware again? Seems like a winning combo to me.

To far apart to be direct competition yet far away enough to warrant a purchase if you own the previous game. It's just in Nintendo's hands now.

I only see two reasons for Nintendo doing this: One - they are stretched too thin and are giving development to Sega in exchange for Sonic promo/money split. Two - Sonic is (perhaps) bigger in Europe than Mario and right now WiiU desperately needs to get some traction in Europe.

Normally this would be nonsensical to Nintendo as Mario Kart sells 20-40m as opposed to Sonic Kart which is lucky to break 1-2m.