By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario and Sonic Racing - will Nintendo benefit from it?

Tagged games:

Would it be beneficial for Nintendo?

Yes 5 17.24%

No 5 17.24%

Possibly 9 31.03%

It's going to print money! 10 34.48%

Total:29

If the Mario+Sonic Racing is different enough they could make a Mario Kart as well - it all depends on how each game is played. So yes, they could very well benefit from such a thing.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

They will both benefit form this. I don't expect it to get anywhere near the Mario Kart sales but it will push hardware. If it gets out this holiday season then WiiU's should fly off the shelves. Fast forward umm.... 2 years maybe? When Mario Kart U comes out to further push hardware again? Seems like a winning combo to me.

To far apart to be direct competition yet far away enough to warrant a purchase if you own the previous game. It's just in Nintendo's hands now.

I only see two reasons for Nintendo doing this: One - they are stretched too thin and are giving development to Sega in exchange for Sonic promo/money split. Two - Sonic is (perhaps) bigger in Europe than Mario and right now WiiU desperately needs to get some traction in Europe.

Normally this would be nonsensical to Nintendo as Mario Kart sells 20-40m as opposed to Sonic Kart which is lucky to break 1-2m.

Gamerace said:
I only see two reasons for Nintendo doing this: One - they are stretched too thin and are giving development to Sega in exchange for Sonic promo/money split. Two - Sonic is (perhaps) bigger in Europe than Mario and right now WiiU desperately needs to get some traction in Europe.

Normally this would be nonsensical to Nintendo as Mario Kart sells 20-40m as opposed to Sonic Kart which is lucky to break 1-2m.

I really can't see that Sonic is bigger in Europe than Mario. The bolded part is what worries me, at least if they don't make an additional Mario Kart U afterwards. Not to mention that SEGA would demand royalties from the game, and for a game that is set to sell probably at least 15 million just 20% is a lot of money lost for Nintendo.

Mario Kart U is going to be playable at E3 so it's quite likely to be ready for release around November/December. We've just had Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed released and now rumour has it that we've got Mario & Sonic Kart racing too..? Blimey, talk about over saturation. Too many Kart racers in too short a time. Bad idea.

Around the Network

It will not happen.

Stop using future for things who will never happen.

mario & Sonic karting will catch peoples eyes and wonder what it is. It will differentiate it from Mario Kart Wii. When people figure out you cant buy it for the Wii they will be forced to buy the WiiU. And there is your reason.

It would dilute the Mario Kart brand and strengthen a competitor (sonic racing)

It won't happen and Nintendo won't agree to share the money for their biggest franchise.

It won't happen.

JayWood2010 said:
mario & Sonic karting will catch peoples eyes and wonder what it is. It will differentiate it from Mario Kart Wii. When people figure out you cant buy it for the Wii they will be forced to buy the WiiU. And there is your reason.

Mario Kart have pretty much always expanded though (sales wise), it seems like those who bought the previous games buy the new ones. Hard not to though, their awesome to have when friends are over. 

IsawYoshi said:
JayWood2010 said:

Mario Kart have pretty much always expanded though (sales wise), it seems like those who bought the previous games buy the new ones. Hard not to though, their awesome to have when friends are over. 

People won't buy it if they don't know it is new.  MK Double Dash I think sold 7m.  They dont want that.  Thay want 10m+  and they wont achieve it if people dont buy the WiiU.  Seeing Sonic and Mario together will definitely catch people's eye though.