By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GT5 passes Halo Reach in global lifetime sales!

sales2099 said:

Ok, says the guy spending his day arguing about video game sales :P (as am I, but hey, im also working)

Maybe ill make a thread comparing Geometry Wars to GTA5. Maybe a detailed chart comparing Super Mario IP sales VS Killzone 3 only. Perhaps something about Fable: The Journey VS Pokemon Black and White 2 sales. I hope you see the point im trying to make.

Were done here, but if anything can be taken away from this, please be more strict of your definition of "nonsensical" and "having no logic".

Was that an attempt at an insult? I'm a software engineer bro, I spend 40 hours a week on a computer so obviously I find time to distract myself.

Valid comparisons could be formed for those games, but you would probably not be capable of forming them based upon your history of fallacious arguments.

It's highly amusing that you've suggested that logical comparisons cannot be made.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
sales2099 said:

Ok, says the guy spending his day arguing about video game sales :P (as am I, but hey, im also working)

Maybe ill make a thread comparing Geometry Wars to GTA5. Maybe a detailed chart comparing Super Mario IP sales VS Killzone 3 only. Perhaps something about Fable: The Journey VS Pokemon Black and White 2 sales. I hope you see the point im trying to make.

Were done here, but if anything can be taken away from this, please be more strict of your definition of "nonsensical" and "having no logic".

Was that an attempt at an insult? I'm a software engineer bro, I spend 40 hours a week on a computer so obviously I find time to distract myself.

Valid comparisons could be formed for those games, but you would probably not be capable of forming them based upon your history of fallacious arguments.

It's highly amusing that you've suggested that logical comparisons cannot be made.

They can. But its not black and white . Either way, reevaluate your definitions. That is all.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
dsgrue3 said:

They can. But its not black and white . Either way, reevaluate your definitions. That is all.

Thanks for redacting your previous assertion, maybe you aren't completely hopeless if you can see your own bullshit from time to time.

MoHasanie said:

Well  there are more people that buy an Xbox just for Halo then there are that buy a PS3 just to play Grand Turismo. That should be a sign as to which brand is more powerful. 

^^^This right here...is why this thread exists. Anyone want to know? Right here. Nothing more nothing less.

Jay520 said:
Mazty said:

1. Basic statistics. Don't skip a week because you think you know what is going to happen....

2. A market is a dynamic thing - lifetime sales are useful, but only part of a bigger picture. And no, you can't predict what the difference is going to be. Who would have guessed the PS3 would have sold almost the exact amount as the 360 at the end of their cycles? You act as if it's a universal law that consoles have to sell within 1-2 mill of each other - go look at the 6th gen. 

3. If it is objective than explain....Also flawed logic - bigger exclusive =/= fans will buy console for that game. It may be part of the reason, it may be the soul reason, but you are jumping to a hell of a conclusion by saying "Whoever has the bigger exclusive title obviously has more fans willing to buy a console for that exclusive" 

4. Very true, but you don't need to compare Halo to GT to see that either are currently popular franchises that will succeed with at least one sequel on the next gen consoles. You can compare Halo to other xbox  games to see it's success. Pitting it against a PS3 franchise of a different genre seems like shit stirring. 

5. With such a minute difference in sales? Unlikely. If we compare GT to Zelda, than you have a more valid point, but picking apart tiny differences, as I said, seems more like finding fuel for console flames. 

1. I didn't say you should skip a weeks. I said it is pointless to talk about it. If you see the sales for a week, and realize it's nearly exactly the same as the ten weeks prior, would you say it's "pointless" to talk about it.

2. True, no one would have predicted the PS3 would have caught the 360 maybe back in 2007-8. But for the past several years, people have anticipated this event to come, so it really isn't surprising at all. Not only is it not surprising, but it also doesn't mean a thing. When the PS3 passes the 360 what's going to happen? Nothing. So considering the fact that it's (a) not surprising, and (b) has no considerable impact on the real world, would you say it's "pointless" to talk about it when it does happen.

3. Obviously we cannot predict with certainty how loyal a fanbase is, but sales can give us a guideline. All things equal, It is more likely that an exclusive with a bigger fanbase will result in more fans willing to buy a new console. 

4. It's important to know their relative difference because now we know that if both the PS4 and Nextbox launch with their respective big exclusives, they will be on even ground. Is that not an interesting fact?

5. You could switch it around if you want. Like I said above, you can say that because GT and Halo sell similarly, their impact on hardware sales will be fairly similar. 

1. Not quite right; even if sales don't budge, it's still indicitive of a trend and that trend will always be informative. 

2. Some people have anticipated it, not everyone, and I'm not sure anyone would have expected them to meet almost perfectly on the same value, give or take a few hundred thousand units. So yes, it is highly surprising - don't downplay it. Also it means a hell of a lot - the PS3 was releases 12 months AFTER the 360 and yet they sold almost exactly the same amount. Why is this? What did the PS3 offer that managed to negate the 360's year lead? IMO better media support out of the box (wifi, bluray and USB support). I digress, but am showing you how those figures open up many interesting avenues of discussion. 

3. Yes BUT why compare Halo Reach to Gran Turismo? The logic is flawed - should you not be comparing the best selling game of both consoles? Why Reach and not Halo 3? I'm going to backtrack here and admit I overlooked something though; as reach is the most recent in the Halo franchise, that is relevant compared to Gran Tursimo as you said it shows popularity and therefore potential console sales, although it still is a long stretch as you're comparing an FPS to a racing simulator which, as you may know, is comparing two vastly different audiences. Point being, expecting them to react in the same way in terms of buying a new console may be flawed as the players are really quite different. Hopefully that makes sense. 

4. Possibly. Again it's a case of variables - what do the new consoles offer, what do the new games offer etc. We have to consider that Halo 3 sold more than Reach so that shows a decline in fanbase rather than an increase in it, ergo a release Halo may not do as well as Reach. 

5. I'll admit again I was being hasty and short sighted to be honest; I was too quick to jump down your throat. Really I think it can be said that comparing the two head to head for no reason other than directly comparing sales is a fucking waste of time (as I suspect has gone on a few pages back although haven't checked) but using them as overall indictors to see how they may influence future consoles is a good idea as it may indicate how they may help to sell consoles. Cheers for making me see differently! 

Around the Network
bevochan said:
walsufnir said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bevochan said:
Carl2291 said:
The comparison that shows everyones true colours. Well played OP.

The best post of the thread.

you were included. -.-

every poster in this thread, including the ones who judged it :)

I know my true colors.  I'm a PS3 fan!  But I don't take it personally if a xbox person say that xbox console is more superior or xbox games sell better.  I don't really care because it's a video game. 

When the PS3 console surpasses xbox360 console in global sales in few weeks, is a xbox person going to say that was because of heavy bunding with games?!

There are lots of illogical arguments here.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Its not a demo, its a fullscale game that I still to this day feel shouldn't have been $60. Felt like my wallet was raped by Microsoft that day. I beat that game with my friend in five hours and I we sat on the couch saying....really? This a $30 game at best. It easily could've been an expansion downloadable on Xbox Live.

So what was the 40€ price for GT5:P, the demo for GT5? A mass-rape or what? My, sometimes your choice of words is just disgusting.

First of all GT5P was cheaper in Euros because it was $40 in American currency.

First of all, you are wrong. GT5P once cost 49,95€ which is also more expansive to us because of currency. Nothing in Europe is cheaper than in us. We pay 99€, you pay $99 which, calculated, would be less than 99€ to us, if you, for example, buy an appletv.

Look here: http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A336130011%2Ck%3Aprologue&keywords=prologue&ie=UTF8&qid=1368834624&rnid=1703609031

bevochan said:
bevochan said:
walsufnir said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bevochan said:
Carl2291 said:
The comparison that shows everyones true colours. Well played OP.

The best post of the thread.

you were included. -.-

every poster in this thread, including the ones who judged it :)

I know my true colors.  I'm a PS3 fan!  But I don't take it personally if a xbox person say that xbox console is more superior or xbox games sell better.  I don't really care because it's a video game.

When the PS3 console surpasses xbox360 console in global sales in few weeks, is a xbox person going to say that was because of heavy bunding with games?!

There are lots of illogical arguments here.

At least you are able to self-reflection. Good. :)

I can see another storm coming: Currently, Uncharted 3 is at 5.87 million and Gears of War 3 is at 5.88 million in global sales....

bevochan said:
I can see another storm coming: Currently, Uncharted 3 is at 5.87 million and Gears of War 3 is at 5.88 million in global sales....

then those two are better comparison not Racing and FPS, you di*k of a fanboy you are.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags