By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct Tomorrow!

My thoughts on the ND --

What bored me: Sonic & Mario Olympic Games

What surprised me: Sonic exclusivity

What disappointed me: W101 coming in September

What impressed me: $20 price point for NSLU. DLC done right.

I stopped paying attention and went back to Monster Hunter during: Mario and DK, Animal Crossing, DKCR3D, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3.

What I expected to see but didn't: Wii Party U

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

3DS sales aren't exploding and I stand by it. The actual sales data backs me up and speaks for itself.

Just for reference too, Pokemon caused no hardware spike for the DS in North America either (go look it up). Pokemon fans are Nintendo fans, they don't just sit there waiting years and years to buy a handheld until Pokemon comes out.

3DS is doing OK in the new reality of consumer electronics -- that is the one in which the smartphone is the center of many people's entertainment lifestyle and the tablet is the most wanted/fought over device for kids in the mini-van.

The 3DS will never be the DS or even match the GBA's early years before it was prematurely cut off. The world simply changed, and many companies (not just Nintendo) are struggling to figure out where they now fit. The image of Vatican square from 2005 to 2013 illustrates the difference stunningly:

I dont get ur pokemon argument, wasnt DS already doing like 350-400k monthly when Diamond and Pearl came out? U can only sell so many consoles a month and 3DS has room for improvement where as DS sales really couldnt get any higher.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:
bobgamez said:
Soundwave said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Soundwave said:

3DS sales aren't exploding and I stand by it. The actual sales data backs me up and speaks for itself.

Just for reference too, Pokemon caused no hardware spike for the DS in North America either (go look it up). Pokemon fans are Nintendo fans, they don't just sit there waiting years and years to buy a handheld until Pokemon comes out.

3DS is doing OK in the new reality of consumer electronics -- that is the one in which the smartphone is the center of many people's entertainment lifestyle and the tablet is the most wanted/fought over device for kids in the mini-van.

The 3DS will never be the DS or even match the GBA's early years before it was prematurely cut off. The world simply changed, and many companies (not just Nintendo) are struggling to figure out where they now fit. The image of Vatican square from 2005 to 2013 illustrates the difference stunningly:

You are so out of touch dude. I bet you were front seat of the '3DS is Doomed' train.

Sales numbers back me up. Sub-130k for 3DS in April outsold by a 7 1/2 year old console, several consecutive months of literally zero year over year growth or even negative growth for the 3DS in North America. Spin it however you want though.

Even Iwata has said clearly in Nintendo's financial briefings that they are unhappy with the state of 3DS hardware sales in the Western markets and view that as the no.1 priority for Nintendo (even above rescuing the Wii U apparently). Anyone who objectively looks at the actual numbers knows the truth.

360 ps3 doomed, getting their butt kicked by the ps2 in april 2007, a 7 and a half year old console!! ;)

The 3DS is cheaper than the 360 whereas the PS2 was $99.99 against the $400 360 and $600 PS3, there's really not many excuses for its level of performance in the West. It has lots of games being released now too.

And the 360 is cheap as well, has that 100 dollar contract thing, has a 7 and a half year library of games, and if price had something to do with it the ps2 would have beaten the wii in that month but it didnt. It takes a while for trends to go away and for new trends to start, the 3ds gets closer and closer to beating the 360 monthy and pokemon will just push it over the edge. Plus we havent even gotten a new model yet, the xl is just a bigger version of the 3ds, if the 3ds gets a lite version or a dsi type deal it will sell even more. but keep thinking that it wont beat any console in america, because next year it will do it easily

Just in case someone hasn't posted this, I thought this was a nice take on what we've been presented today.

http://techland.time.com/2013/05/17/if-you-expect-jaw-dropping-things-from-nintendo-direct-youre-missing-the-point/

Doesn't really matter though since we're extremely close to E3, I must say.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

What does Sega/Nintendo-partnership mean? Does Nintendo develop the next Sonic or what?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
F0X said:
Just in case someone hasn't posted this, I thought this was a nice take on what we've been presented today.

http://techland.time.com/2013/05/17/if-you-expect-jaw-dropping-things-from-nintendo-direct-youre-missing-the-point/

Doesn't really matter though since we're extremely close to E3, I must say.

The last sentence in that article was good. But this is the internet and for most gamers hype is half the fun (or more than half), hence why every new year is going to be best one for gaming ever. In retrospect, the previous year's amazing list of games is always filled with disappointments and underachievers, so it's understandable that games that are imagined to be great are going to be much more interesting.

I'm reminded of this -

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I hope Sonic: Lost World is more like Sonic Adventure

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

pezus said:
Bong Lover said:
pezus said:
Bong Lover said:
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
How about DKCR 3D? When was that coming? End of this month?

It's out in just over a week. Already some reviews up: http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/donkey-kong-country-returns-3d/critic-reviews

Not too shabby. It is for the 3DS though, so this is expected. Just another game to keep the momentum going. right Pezy old boy?

There is a negative momentum in NA currently, so I guess...not

Are you saying that more people in NA are returning their 3DS to cancel the original sale than new people buying it? How else could you achieve negative momentum?

I've always thought of "momentum" of a gaming device as sales rate accelerating, so now that sales rate is decelerating I would say the momentum is negative, indeed.

I see, you don't know what momentum means. Fair enough, what you want to say is: "3DS is losing momentum in NA"

I know what it means in science terms. Negative means it's negative for the system and Nintendo, as in: the momentum isn't there

I don't know why you're arguing over semantics though. The point still stands: that 3DS sales are falling and not rising

I am arguing over semantics because if you are going to go into a thread devoted to a Nintendo Direct only to be a wet blanket, the least you can do is make lexical sense.

You can pretend that you understand what momentum means and how to use it in the English language, but you are wrong. Negative momentum doesn't make any sense, it would imply that the number of total sold units is going down, as in the install base is contracting, but you still wouldn't call that negative momentum. So, the next time you want to come in and pee on a Nintendo parade, just keep that in mind.

pezus said:
Bong Lover said:
pezus said:

I know what it means in science terms. Negative means it's negative for the system and Nintendo, as in: the momentum isn't there

I don't know why you're arguing over semantics though. The point still stands: that 3DS sales are falling and not rising

I am arguing over semantics because if you are going to go into a thread devoted to a Nintendo Direct only to be a wet blanket, the least you can do is make lexical sense.

You can pretend that you understand what momentum means and how to use it in the English language, but you are wrong. Negative momentum doesn't make any sense, it would imply that the number of total sold units is going down, as in the install base is contracting, but you still wouldn't call that negative momentum. So, the next time you want to come in and pee on a Nintendo parade, just keep that in mind.

Like I said: I understand what it means.

But please carry on then, your holiness.

Ok, so you seriously think that there are more people returning their 3DS's for a refund or store credit in North America than people who buy a new system?

Where is the data to support such a nonsensical claim?