By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameCube Vs. Wii U (Month To Month In NA)

bobgamez said:
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
ZackNormandin said:
According to these numbers, the GCN beat the PS3 too...lol.

Just give the Wii U until the end of next year. You'll see some big numbers.

GC wasn't being sold at $599 though.

GC wasnt the cheapest Blu Ray player on the market

I don't think Blu-Ray was really that big of a sales point early on.

Blu-Ray still to this day isn't as popular as the DVD format, a lot of people simply haven't seen the need to upgrade.

Back in 2006, the selection of Blu-Ray titles was extremely limited and most people were not going to pay $600 for that even with a Playstation attached to it.

The PS3's horrid sales through its first year pretty much tell the story. The PS4 at $399.99 will easily beat the PS3's first year.

thats not much of an accomplishment

Agreed that beating PS3/Wii U/Dreamcast level first year sales is nothing impressive. PS4 should crush those numbers pretty easily if supply is readily available.

XB1 might have a slower start due to the $100 difference.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
bobgamez said:
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
ZackNormandin said:

Blu-Ray still to this day isn't as popular as the DVD format, a lot of people simply haven't seen the need to upgrade.

Back in 2006, the selection of Blu-Ray titles was extremely limited and most people were not going to pay $600 for that even with a Playstation attached to it.

The PS3's horrid sales through its first year pretty much tell the story. The PS4 at $399.99 will easily beat the PS3's first year.

Agreed that beating PS3/Wii U/Dreamcast level first year sales is nothing impressive. PS4 should crush those numbers pretty easily if supply is readily available.

TBH, I'm not so sure PS4 (or Xbox 1 ftm) will actually fly off the shelves when they release. I'm actually leaning toward a huge decline in gen 8 compared to gen 7.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
Soundwave said:
bobgamez said:
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
ZackNormandin said:

TBH, I'm not so sure PS4 (or Xbox 1 ftm) will actually fly off the shelves when they release. I'm actually leaning toward a huge decline in gen 8 compared to gen 7.

I agree, I think it will go back down to 6th gen numbers

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Arius Dion said:
Soundwave said:
bobgamez said:
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
ZackNormandin said:

I agree actually, we're headed back to gen 6 level hardware numbers I think. Gen 7 was an unsustainable boom period mostly brought on by the wild success of the DS and Wii bringing in so many casual/lapsed players and also the HDTV boom benefitted the PS3/360 over time. It's not repeatable.

PS4 - 100 million (barely); will be the mass market and developer console of choice but get stiff competetion from MS.

XBox One - 70 million; MS will power through the US market to get a respectable number, Kinect 2 becomes more of a factor as price drops.

Wii U - 30-35 million; mostly Nintendo fans only.

Is how I see things shaking out. So fairly similar to the PS2/GCN/XBox days.

But beating PS3/Wii U/DC 1st year numbers won't be much of an issue for the PS4. That's a verrrrry low bar.

Lafiel said:
Dr.JimmyRustles said:
>It's actually impossible to know this because Nintendo doesn't release financial splits by hardware alone, though yes I would assume it turned a profit for Nintendo overall.

From my source it made them 4.5 billion

I doubt that figure a lot. Profits during the GC time aren't all from GC, there was the GBA and the begin of the DS handheld gens and Nintendo never details which branch is making the profits. I think it's reasonable to assume the by far biggest chunk of those profits is from the device that sold ~80million units without competition and not the device that sold ~22million with 2 competitors.

You have to look at software sales too.

VS

Around the Network

I'm kinda stunned the GCN only managed 21.7 million units. It was so affordable, being $149 within like eight months.

They really should've played Mario and Zelda more towards what the fanbase wanted at first and then went more experimental ideas for the 2nd Mario and Zelda installments.

Zelda: Majora's Mask, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Perfect Dark should've been yanked from the N64 and made into GameCube launch window titles and they should've launched a year earlier with silver and black as the main colors and full sized DVD support.

Sigh. Such a great little system done in by so many little mistakes. It deserved better.

Oranges and apples, both consoles are not comparable at all as there are in a totally different situation. Xbox 360/WiiU would be a much better comparison for example.

foxtail said:
Lafiel said:
Dr.JimmyRustles said:
>It's actually impossible to know this because Nintendo doesn't release financial splits by hardware alone, though yes I would assume it turned a profit for Nintendo overall.

I doubt that figure a lot. Profits during the GC time aren't all from GC, there was the GBA and the begin of the DS handheld gens and Nintendo never details which branch is making the profits. I think it's reasonable to assume the by far biggest chunk of those profits is from the device that sold ~80million units without competition and not the device that sold ~22million with 2 competitors.

VS

Man I miss those consoles, my favorite home console and favorite handheld of all time. Wii/DS were great but went a little too casual/mainstream for my tastes. So far 3DS is on track to pass GBA and the Wii U titkes coming later this year and next look like it could possibly pass GC.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
foxtail said:
Lafiel said:
Dr.JimmyRustles said:

VS

Man I miss those consoles, my favorite home console and favorite handheld of all time. Wii/DS were great but went a little too casual/mainstream for my tastes. So far 3DS is on track to pass GBA and the Wii U titkes coming later this year and next look like it could possibly pass GC.

It really is sad how badly Nintendo bumbled the GameCube. It was much better designed than the Playstation 2, more powerful, easier to program for, and even cheaper.

It really should've been to the PS2 what the PS4 is looking like compared to the XB1.

Soundwave said:
I'm kinda stunned the GCN only managed 21.7 million units. It was so affordable, being $149 within like eight months.

The only reason Nintendo cut the price of the GCN to $149 (from $199) six months in is because Sony cut the price of the PS2 to $199 (from $299) first.

Around 80% of all PS2's sold were priced at $199 or under, it was also what most would consider affordable.