By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameCube Vs. Wii U (Month To Month In NA)

NSMBU sold many consoles, in fact WiiU launch was quite successful. The problem wasn't NSMBU and NL but the lack of any other meaningful games for more than 6 months after that.

People were right also to say that games like Mario Sunshine, ZWW and others would be great assets for the GC the problem is that even before GC launched it was already a dead system because PS2 had already a huge installed base and even those games weren't enough to give it a chance to catch up. Thanks to its huge advantage in terms of installed base all third parties were going to support heavily the PS2 and didn't have strong incentives to even consider GC or Xbox. This time the WiiU doesn't have such a disadvantage and that's why the two situations can't be compared imo.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Oh boy, as someone who lived through the GCN era, lol, the GameCube had a monster drought from January-June 2002 where the only really notable exclusive title was the Resident Evil Remake.

There was a ton of belly aching and a lot of "wait for Mario! wait for Metroid!" at that time too (sounds familiar?), lol.

The Wii U has managed to top the GCN, but believe me it wasn't pretty in 2002 either, there was a lot of complaining online about the GameCube library and a large contingent of Nintendo fans saying everything would be fine once the "big guns" like Mario, Eternal Darkness (lol), Metroid Prime, Star Fox Adventures, Zelda, etc. arrived.

That's why this whole thing feels like deja vu to me in a lot of ways, this is like going through the GameCube all over again and it's funny to read some arguements that could almost be verbatim the same thing from 10+ years ago.

As someone who lived through the NES era all the way up through now, I don't need to be told how things were during the GC/PS2 days. But NO "drought" the GC had was anything close to comparable to what the Wii U has had in 2013. Not even close.

If you really want to compare Jan-June, we'll do that.

First off the bat, even back in Dec. 2001, GC had big hits like Pikmin and SB Melee, which helped drive console momentum. 

But beyond that, not strictly speaking of exclusives, GC had a steady stream of notable games, such as Cel Damage, NBA Courtside 2002, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, NBA Street, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Spy Hunter, Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, Pac-Man World 2, Spider-Man, Burnout, Resident Evil (Remake), Virtua Striker 2002, Lost Kingdom, Bomberman Generation, WWF Wrestlemania X8, Tetris Worlds, and last but certainly not least, Eternal Darkness. And there were many other 3rd party titles besides those that also filled out the release schedule.

In that same Jan-Jun span for Wii U: Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, Need for Speed: Most Wanted U, The Croods: Prehistoric Party, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Fast & Furious Showdown, Lego Batman: DC Super Heroes, Resident Evil: Revelations, Sniper Elite: V2, and Game & Wario.

The difference between the two, is that at LEAST 30+ titles were released, at a steady, monthly pace, on GC from Jan 2002- June 2002. What I've listed for Wii U, however, is quite literally every game, the ONLY games, released on Wii U from Jan 2013-June 2013. And 90% of that list was only released in March and May. NOTHING at all was released for Wii U in retail in January and February 2013, only ONE game (Injustice) in April, and only ONE game (Game & Wario) in June even. For THAT matter, only two retail titles are listed as having released in July 2013, Turbo: Super Stunt Squad, and The Smurfs 2. Both crappy shovelware ports. In fact over half the Wii U list could be considered such for 2013. The only quality titles that have been released for the console this year, have been Lego City, MH3, NfS: Most Wanted, arguably Injustice and RE: Revelations. And of course Game & Wario. Lego Batman 2 is stretching it, as a very old port.

The point being, that GC didn't have the "Drought" you speak of. Perhaps in terms of BIG Nintendo franchise releases, sure. But not in actual terms. The system had plenty of games to play on it, and that's what I meant. One area GC actually didn't suffer in that much, at least in it's first few years, was third party support, which was actually pretty solid. Wii U was supposed to have that, and did right out of the gate. But there was almost just as much of a drought of third party releases as first in 2013 thus far. The first two months having ZERO games released is inexcusable, for sure. Rayman Legends was supposed to release in Late Feb., which might have helped, but obviously Ubisoft went retarded and that didn't happen.

So like I said, Wii U has had it far worse than any Nintendo console ever has, in it's first year on the market. 3DS had a drought, for sure, but even then, it was still not NEARLY as bad as Wii U has had. From August onward, at least for the rest of 2013, things look substantially better. The question remains, will early 2014 also still be an improvement? Will third party releases exist in any meaningful way in the first half of 2014? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Just because the Wii U is reaching new lows for a game drought, doesn't mean the panic button wasn't flipped on for the GameCube back in 2002 -- it definitely was. The message boards were filled with pretty much the same kind of chatter as there is today.

I remember the sinking boat images on Gaming-Age's message board back in 02/03 (lol) with Nintendo written on the ship.

Nintendo finding a way to top that GameCube drought is kind of a feat in and of itself, and that's really their own fault, but the GameCube had far harsher competetion going head to head against the PS2 juggernaut (best selling console of all time, even makes the Wii and original PSX pale in comparision) and the surprising XBox launch with Halo really being a blockbuster hit and catching Nintendo off guard.

Soundwave said:
gum said:
Soundwave said:
gum said:
Soundwave said:
DevilRising said:
Doing this kind of comparison is horribly moot, because the advantage Gamecube had, was a nice, steady flow of GAMES, first and third party, from launch onward. GC had no real "drought" to speak of. It had several big games right out of the gate in the first few months of it's existence. Wii U has not had that, and THAT is specifically why it has sold worse than GC for now. That will not be the case once more actual GAMES come out. And this fall/holiday season are set to see plenty of them.

The real question is, will there now finally be a fairly steady release of first and third party games in 2014, and onward, to build momentum and keep it going?

Oh boy, as someone who lived through the GCN era, lol, the GameCube had a monster drought from January-June 2002 where the only really notable exclusive title was the Resident Evil Remake.

There was a ton of belly aching and a lot of "wait for Mario! wait for Metroid!" at that time too (sounds familiar?), lol.

The Wii U has managed to top the GCN, but believe me it wasn't pretty in 2002 either, there was a lot of complaining online about the GameCube library and a large contingent of Nintendo fans saying everything would be fine once the "big guns" like Mario, Eternal Darkness (lol), Metroid Prime, Star Fox Adventures, Zelda, etc. arrived.

That's why this whole thing feels like deja vu to me in a lot of ways, this is like going through the GameCube all over again and it's funny to read some arguements that could almost be verbatim the same thing from 10+ years ago.

I's not deja-vu as both situations again aren't comparable. Ths GC had to sell well very quickly to catch up in terms of installed base with the PS2 in order to stay relevant. The WiiU on the other hands doesn't need to sell well as quickly as it is the first next gen. So again this comparison is pretty much pointless.

Yes and no. One could argue the Wii U is in a worse position as it's selling considerably worse than the GameCube with no competetion.

That said in the long run I think Wii U will turn out better for Nintendo than the GameCube mostly because their brand share has improved a good deal in Europe and should be enough to buoy them to a 30 million userbase at least IMO.

If they can't get to that, then Iwata honestly should step down and take an advisor position because I don't think that type of performance could be excused.

People saying the WiiU is in a worse position that the GC obviously should talk about something else than video games sales. What condition the future of a console are games meaning first and third party support. First party support for WiiU will be much stronger than what it was for GC as Nintendo has now much more strong ips than it has back in the day and in terms of third parties what really matters is to compare the installed base of the platform with its competitors. Indeed installed base is the final key factor for third parties and this comparison will determine what choices in terms of platforms they will make.

In other words if a console sells well but still has a much lower installed base than its competitor third parties still will continue to support the second one, this is just pure and simple logic.

It's hard to say with the future. When I saw NSMBU for the Wii U launch I, and many others figured that at least assured Nintendo a solid launch. I mean you're talking about like a 20+ million seller. Now of course after the fact people are going to make excuses as to why it didn't sell consoles.

But it was the same thing with the GameCube. Believe me before Mario Sunshine and Star Fox Adventures and Metroid Prime and Zelda: Wind Waker shipped, there was a definite belief that those games would move *tons* of systems.

I remember distinctly people laughing at Microsoft even trying to release the XBox (especially after a horrid E3 2001 showing) saying there was no way head to head they could match up with Nintendo's franchise power.

We're seeing a fair bit of regression even on the 3DS in a lot of Nintendo IP ... NSMB2 is likely not going to come close to NSMB1, in fact NSMBU+NSMB2 combined probably won't. Mario Kart 7 has sold well, but probably won't come close to catching Mario Kart DS, and the same is likely to be even more true for MK8 vs. MKWii.

What we saw during the DS/Wii era was an inflation of certain "pick up and play" friendly Nintendo franchises (notably just about every game with Mario in it) that benefitted tremendously from the Wii Sports/Brian Training/Nintendogs/Wii Fit audiences coming in en masse. Look for a normalization this gen.

One thing alot of people forget about is how wonky Nintendo got with some of there major franchises. Mario Sunshine def seemed like a spinoff, Zelda was too cartoony for most people, Star Fox/Donkey Kong/Kirby all switched genre, Metroid is the only one that beneffited from changing.

Just for a second replace Sunshine, Wind Waker, Star Fox Adventures, Kirby Air Ride, Jungle Beat/Konga with Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Star Fox Assault, DKC Returns, Kirby Return to Dreamland and. If thats what GC 2002-2004 line up looked like in addition to Melee, Double Dash, Prime then im certain GC would have sold much better.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:
gum said:
Soundwave said:
gum said:
Soundwave said:
DevilRising said:
Doing this kind of comparison is horribly moot, because the advantage Gamecube had, was a nice, steady flow of GAMES, first and third party, from launch onward. GC had no real "drought" to speak of. It had several big games right out of the gate in the first few months of it's existence. Wii U has not had that, and THAT is specifically why it has sold worse than GC for now. That will not be the case once more actual GAMES come out. And this fall/holiday season are set to see plenty of them.

The real question is, will there now finally be a fairly steady release of first and third party games in 2014, and onward, to build momentum and keep it going?

I's not deja-vu as both situations again aren't comparable. Ths GC had to sell well very quickly to catch up in terms of installed base with the PS2 in order to stay relevant. The WiiU on the other hands doesn't need to sell well as quickly as it is the first next gen. So again this comparison is pretty much pointless.

Yes and no. One could argue the Wii U is in a worse position as it's selling considerably worse than the GameCube with no competetion.

That said in the long run I think Wii U will turn out better for Nintendo than the GameCube mostly because their brand share has improved a good deal in Europe and should be enough to buoy them to a 30 million userbase at least IMO.

If they can't get to that, then Iwata honestly should step down and take an advisor position because I don't think that type of performance could be excused.

People saying the WiiU is in a worse position that the GC obviously should talk about something else than video games sales. What condition the future of a console are games meaning first and third party support. First party support for WiiU will be much stronger than what it was for GC as Nintendo has now much more strong ips than it has back in the day and in terms of third parties what really matters is to compare the installed base of the platform with its competitors. Indeed installed base is the final key factor for third parties and this comparison will determine what choices in terms of platforms they will make.

In other words if a console sells well but still has a much lower installed base than its competitor third parties still will continue to support the second one, this is just pure and simple logic.

It's hard to say with the future. When I saw NSMBU for the Wii U launch I, and many others figured that at least assured Nintendo a solid launch. I mean you're talking about like a 20+ million seller. Now of course after the fact people are going to make excuses as to why it didn't sell consoles.

But it was the same thing with the GameCube. Believe me before Mario Sunshine and Star Fox Adventures and Metroid Prime and Zelda: Wind Waker shipped, there was a definite belief that those games would move *tons* of systems.

I remember distinctly people laughing at Microsoft even trying to release the XBox (especially after a horrid E3 2001 showing) saying there was no way head to head they could match up with Nintendo's franchise power.

We're seeing a fair bit of regression even on the 3DS in a lot of Nintendo IP ... NSMB2 is likely not going to come close to NSMB1, in fact NSMBU+NSMB2 combined probably won't. Mario Kart 7 has sold well, but probably won't come close to catching Mario Kart DS, and the same is likely to be even more true for MK8 vs. MKWii.

What we saw during the DS/Wii era was an inflation of certain "pick up and play" friendly Nintendo franchises (notably just about every game with Mario in it) that benefitted tremendously from the Wii Sports/Brian Training/Nintendogs/Wii Fit audiences coming in en masse. Look for a normalization this gen.

One thing alot of people forget about is how wonky Nintendo got with some of there major franchises. Mario Sunshine def seemed like a spinoff, Zelda was too cartoony for most people, Star Fox/Donkey Kong/Kirby all switched genre, Metroid is the only one that beneffited from changing.

Just for a second replace Sunshine, Wind Waker, Star Fox Adventures, Kirby Air Ride, Jungle Beat/Konga with Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Star Fox Assault, DKC Returns, Kirby Return to Dreamland and. If thats what GC 2002-2004 line up looked like in addition to Melee, Double Dash, Prime then im certain GC would have sold much better.

That might happen again this gen just in a different way. People are already saying Nintendo played it too safe with NSMBU, the same could be true of Mario 3D World (looks an awful lot like 3D Land), DKC: TF, and Mario Kart 8 and so on.

Around the Network

Anyone know what games did the Gamecube have during that period ?

spurgeonryan said:
But just like the GC, as long as Nintendo has a successful Handheld, all will be fine.

hopefully, after the wave of games starts, Ninty will be swimming in molah

Rogerioandrade said:
Anyone know what games did the Gamecube have during that period ?

Between the period of the GC's launch and August 2002, including 3rd party games, I would guess the GC had no less then 5 times as many games as the Wii U has had. Including Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2, Wave Race: Bluje Storm, Pikmin 1, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, NBA Courtside 2002, Resident Evil (REmake) and Eternal Darkness.

The major holes caused by the lack of 3rd party support is really visible when you see how well the GC was supported early on.

That might happen again this gen just in a different way. People are already saying Nintendo played it too safe with NSMBU, the same could be true of Mario 3D World (looks an awful lot like 3D Land), DKC: TF, and Mario Kart 8 and so on.

thats the exact opposite. Wii U major games that we know of so far are pretty traditional while GC were all experimental.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.