By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameCube Vs. Wii U (Month To Month In NA)

spurgeonryan said:
But just like the GC, as long as Nintendo has a successful Handheld, all will be fine.

Nintendo was also making a ton of money off Pokemon merchandising (toys, movies, cards, TV show etc.) from 1999-through the early/mid 2000s too, so that was driving profit as well, not just the GBA. That's cooled off a bit now even if it still is a popular kids brand.

Around the Network

Gamecube was still profitable.

Dr.JimmyRustles said:
Gamecube was still profitable.

It's actually impossible to know this because Nintendo doesn't release financial splits by hardware alone, though yes I would assume it turned a profit for Nintendo overall.

badgenome said:
aikohualda said:
do you guys think wii u will out sell GC???

Eventually. Gamecube had way better software support at this point in its life. The games will eventually come for Wii U.

badge???? is that you????? or someone hacked on your id?

>It's actually impossible to know this because Nintendo doesn't release financial splits by hardware alone, though yes I would assume it turned a profit for Nintendo overall.

From my source it made them 4.5 billion

Around the Network

But the Gamecube was an anomaly in the West. It sold really good here and terribly elsewhere.

Hell Gamecube got outsold by Vita week to week hasn't it?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

spurgeonryan said:
Soundwave said:
spurgeonryan said:
But just like the GC, as long as Nintendo has a successful Handheld, all will be fine.

Nintendo was also making a ton of money off Pokemon merchandising (toys, movies, cards, TV show etc.) from 1999-through the early/mid 2000s too, so that was driving profit as well, not just the GBA. That's cooled off a bit now even if it still is a popular kids brand.

Well since then, everything Nintendo has picked up. Every Department store sells various Nintendo lines of clothing. Shoes, toys, etc. Including pokemon still. They should be good.

To some extent yes, but you're underestimating how huuuuuuge Pokemon was from 1999-2003 or so. It was hands down the no.1 kids brand in the world and the movies were getting full theaterical releases worldwide. My first job out of high school was working at Toys R' Us over Christmas and it was a mad house in those days for Pokemon stuff around Christmas (we had a near riot when too many parents tried to all rush into the electronics section at once towards a Pokemon display). 

We actually had the regional Toys R' Us manager come down and change store policy that hot items couldn't just be put on the retail floor like that afterwards, lol.

How are you guys content enough to compare other consoles to a system with none of Nintendo's huge games on it yet? Just hold it. At least wait until Super Smash Bros 4 or Mario Kart comes out to judge. Nobody is going out to buy a Wii U just for Game&Wario or ports of games that already sold on PS3 and Xbox360. Just give it time. It's not like the PS4 or 720 will sell a million units every day or something.

Ljink96 said:
How do are you guys content enough to compare other consoles to a system with none of Nintendo's huge games on it yet? Just hold it. At least wait until Super Smash Bros 4 or Mario Kart comes out to judge. Nobody is going out to buy a Wii U just for Game&Wario or ports of games that already sold on PS3 and Xbox360. Just give it time. It's not like the PS4 or 720 will sell a million units every day or something.

I think New Super Mario Bros U is pretty big and Nintendo was hoping that Nintendo Land would've been big too, but I think in that case I think people are just tired of mini-game titles on consoles.

Nintendo Land three or four years ago on the Wii would probably sell 10-20 million copies under a similar concept (Mii based mini-games based around popular Nintendo IP). It's just the time has passed for this idea, and people are not taking to the Wii U tablet.

It's big, bulky, and low tech compared to most people's tablets. It's just not an idea that's gaining traction.

@BloodyRain

Going by the graph that seems incredibly unlikely. Given that the GameCube with a year under its belt still seems to have outperformed the launch week for the Wii U. It says a lot that the Cube did so well comparatively not solely, because it didn't end up selling so well, but because it did those sales in a certifiably smaller gaming market.