By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco on Dark Souls 2 marketing: "treating it as a massive AAA title, would be nice to attract Skyrim players"

Slimebeast said:
Dark Souls should never get a pause option.

It's not bad game design, it's genious game design.

Not having the ability to pause makes the game world feel much more alive and important.

Actually you should have the option to pause or not. By that I mean when the game first loads up it asks you if you want to enable pausing in the game. It would tell you the benefits and negatives of enabling pause and you could choose then. And after that initial load up screen, you wouldn't be able to toggle pause on or off until you started the game over again.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

I'm not saying change the puzzling aspect. In fact they could easily keep it all the same sans making the boss's (normal mobs aren't a huge problem) not hit as hard as on the classic difficulty which would basically mean they wouldn't destroy you instantly if you make one small mistake. I mean there is nothing, NOTHING worse for me than to spend an hour or so getting to a boss only to be wrecked upon and having to spawn back about 30-60 minutes from that boss. I absolutely hate redoing sections over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. To me it's basically like losing a save and stuff like that makes me not want to play the game ever again (which coincidentally, is what I did with both of them, despite both games being really fun)

In fact they could just add two simple little optional addition for an "easy" mode. And that is to a). have enemies give you more souls so you level up at a slightly faster rate (which means less annoying grinding) and b). give the option to put a checkpoint right before a boss so you don't have to backtrack so much.

If they did those two things they wouldn't have to change any core mechanics or puzzleling elements and their core fanbase would still be able to play the same type of game as Demons/Dark Souls as well as the game being more accessible to people who don't want to spend such an inordinate amount of time in the game.

You have to admit, something like that wouldn't hurt your gameplay at all, right?

i still don't think you'd have any fun with the game if those features were implemented.  i think you'd find it to be a very boring game in that configuration as the game is very slow paced and basic when you remove the risk factor.  also, i'm really have to question what you are doing wrong if you think any spawn point is 30-60 mintues back cause there is a bonfire every 10 minute interval,.. max.   i mean, the entire game can be beaten in 1 hour 26 mintues

but if you want an easy mode that basically removes your risk of dying so that you can go through the motions..  i suppose that wouldn't break my experience.  of course the reviews would be absouletly terrible when every reviewer uses easy mode and complains it is only a 2 hour game (instead of the 80 hours i spent my first play though).

yo_john117 said:

If they add different difficulty levels, have a more standardized save system, and allow for pausing the game whilst in single player, then I will give this series another chance.

Demons Souls and Dark Souls had so much potential but the lack of the above made the games quite simply unplayable for me.

Being 31 years old and living alone on the money I make working, I am as casual gamer as it gets, I game when I have the time. even in this deary conditions I managed to finish both games, DEMON´S SOULS on the PS3 (5 TIMES) and DARK SOULS on the Xbox360 (with no online, since I don´t have XLIVE GOLD, one time).

If I did it, you sir have no excuse, go play them again right now =D

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

yo_john117 said:
kitler53 said:
yo_john117 said:

How? 

The following sentence is to your second response to my other post (well actually it's the main point that you guys can't seem to grasp). Having different difficulties wouldn't change a thing for you or anyone else that wants to play the game like Demons/Dark souls.

You play on your hard/classic mode and nothing changes for you in the least. All that changes is other interested people that don't have the time and patience for classic Soul's games get to enjoy it as well. It's that simple and basic.

because of what i described in my post..

most games add a lower difficulty by give you more health or ammo or whatever.  i promise you, all the health in the world won't make the game easier for you.  the game is a puzzle game at it's heart.  you learn how to exploit the AI and when you do i promise you -- the game is really really REEAAALLY easy. 

you can easily beat the game without taking a single hit one you know the AI.  this isn't a BS statement.  it's a fact.  i beat DS NG+ as a lvl 17 with no point in stamina. any hit was a death blow.  i still beat it.

it's like asking for an easy mode for braid.  what's the point... all you can do is tell the player the secret of how to win.  but if you don't earn that knowledge you didn't do a damn thing.  at that point just go on youtube and what someone else play.

so the only way to make it easier is to make simplier puzzles.  in demon's soul's did you figure out that the Old Hero was blind and that the only way to beat him is to not move quickly without clothes so to not make noise so to be invisible and therefore impossible to take a hit thereby making the boss fight really really REEAALLY easy?  cause if you take that puzzle out Old Hero is just a really bad boring stupid boss fight that you aren't going to have fun with over on easy mode anyways.  ...and i get a bad game.

I'm not saying change the puzzling aspect. In fact they could easily keep it all the same sans making the boss's (normal mobs aren't a huge problem) not hit as hard as on the classic difficulty which would basically mean they wouldn't destroy you instantly if you make one small mistake. I mean there is nothing, NOTHING worse for me than to spend an hour or so getting to a boss only to be wrecked upon and having to spawn back about 30-60 minutes from that boss. I absolutely hate redoing sections over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. To me it's basically like losing a save and stuff like that makes me not want to play the game ever again (which coincidentally, is what I did with both of them, despite both games being really fun)

In fact they could just add two simple little optional addition for an "easy" mode. And that is to a). have enemies give you more souls so you level up at a slightly faster rate (which means less annoying grinding) and b). give the option to put a checkpoint right before a boss so you don't have to backtrack so much.

If they did those two things they wouldn't have to change any core mechanics or puzzleling elements and their core fanbase would still be able to play the same type of game as Demons/Dark Souls as well as the game being more accessible to people who don't want to spend such an inordinate amount of time in the game.

You have to admit, something like that wouldn't hurt your gameplay at all, right?

Those would be good solutions. Including more info to be found in the world and increased drop rate for shards. Mindless farming for souls and shards diminished the game for me. Most bosses for me were spoiled since I resorted to co-op to get souls to level magic abilities in preparation of a boss fight. Which means I had already seen the whole boss fight play out 5-10 times as a support character before it was my turn. They turned into roadblocks instead of something to look forward to. The mini bosses were much better.

It would also be nice to let you retry as a group instantly, instead of resorting to the luck of the draw back at the bonfire.
The best boss experiences for me were when there weren't many other people online which meant that it kept matchmaking me with the same person. We both were determined to figure out a boss and kept trying new things.

kitler53 said:
yo_john117 said:

i still don't think you'd have any fun with the game if those features were implemented.  i think you'd find it to be a very boring game in that configuration as the game is very slow paced and basic when you remove the risk factor.  also, i'm really have to question what you are doing wrong if you think any spawn point is 30-60 mintues back cause there is a bonfire every 10 minute interval,.. max.   i mean, the entire game can be beaten in 1 hour 26 mintues. 

but if you want an easy mode that basically removes your risk of dying so that you can go through the motions..  i suppose that wouldn't break my experience.  of course the reviews would be absouletly terrible when every reviewer uses easy mode and complains it is only a 2 hour game (instead of the 80 hours i spent my first play though).

Do you not see the contradiction there?
Remove the penalty risk of dying is not the same as auto win, or running to the end. It merely concentrates the experience, play Guacamelee to see what I mean. Then imagine that setting you back to the nearest town at every attempt at a boss fight.

Around the Network

If sales don't budge enough with a huge marketing budget? Could be very bad for the series, but hopefully this pushes it up and up. It would be the day of awesomeness if it even comes close to Skyrim sales.

It's just that simple.

I stopped Demon's Souls after I first died against a non-boss enemy.
I stopped Dark Souls after 30 minutes without dying at all, but with the fear of dying and losing everything.

Also while playing both games I didn't notice any especially good features, so if they added an easy mode, I would probably complete it, but I still don't think that I'd like it.
One of the more mediocre RPG series IMO.

I can't believe so many people want to casualize one of the few remaining hardcore RPGs. If u don't like the way it is go play a casual game, there are so many to choose from. Dark souls is not a hack n slash game, it has a high learning curve and is punishing, if u can't except that then don't play the game.

Barozi said:
I stopped Demon's Souls after I first died against a non-boss enemy.
I stopped Dark Souls after 30 minutes without dying at all, but with the fear of dying and losing everything.

Also while playing both games I didn't notice any especially good features, so if they added an easy mode, I would probably complete it, but I still don't think that I'd like it.
One of the more mediocre RPG series IMO.

Yeah if you give up that quick  it is extremely medicore .  Its not for the timid.Giving up is the ultimate failure. But if you beat it and truly experience it the first time, it is an amazing experience. 

Most players just aren't use to the Hardcore RPG's like King's fields. Most games these days are pretty much guaranteed to be beaten if you buy it. Not DS.  You are right about u prob not liking it even if they put an easy mode, The feeling of over coming the seemingly impossible is the bread and butter of DS...Not  witnessing amazing the cinematics, hours of funny dialogue or anything like that.  and one of the other things truly amazing about the game is its lore which is very time consuming to put together and figure out with others.  Its just a game not meant for everyone...And DS is far from the only game not for everyone even with most games having difficulty levels. 

Why is it only the people who never played Demon's/Dark Souls who criticize it?

It isn't absurdly difficult at all, there is just a learning curve. Some guy got through the entire game in an hour, so obviously it isn't as hard as you think it is.

Playing Demon's Souls for 30 minutes and quitting and then judging it based upon that is incredibly stupid as well. You haven't even encountered the first boss FFS and there are at least a dozen.