By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - who has been the most influential third party developer?

What do you like more?

Ice Cream 24 44.44%

Milk Shakes 14 25.93%

Slushies 10 18.52%

See results 6 11.11%

Total:54

1. capcom
2. rockstar
3. IW
4. SE

Around the Network
hinch said:
green_sky said:
hinch said:
KungKras said:
A C T I V I S I O N

Learn 2 gaming history, dudes :P

What engine does Call of Duty 4 run on?

IW (Infinity Ward) 3.0 engine. It is basically a modified version ID Tech 3 engine by ID Software. First game based on ID Tech 3 was Quake 3 arena in 1999. 

I know, I was asking mr gaming history there :P

Oh didn't catch that :P

pezus said:
Infinity Ward, Rockstar, Valve, id software, bioware, capcom, Square (Enix) among others

why bioware? 

CAPCOM - no other third party developer can even compare to their influence. From revolutionizing fighting and survival horror games, to coming up with revolutionary ways of getting consumers to buy a game twice in the same year.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Blizzard (World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Warcraft)

Around the Network

Ice Cream .

hinch said:
green_sky said:
hinch said:
KungKras said:
A C T I V I S I O N

Learn 2 gaming history, dudes :P

What engine does Call of Duty 4 run on?

IW (Infinity Ward) 3.0 engine. It is basically a modified version ID Tech 3 engine by ID Software. First game based on ID Tech 3 was Quake 3 arena in 1999. 

I know, I was asking mr gaming history there :P

Edit: this might be of interest to you FPS fans out there -

How is any of this relevant to the actual interesting bit of Activision's history? (Winning in courts opening up third party development in the Atari Era)

I LOVE ICELAND!

I'm gonna go with Capcom. I think their influence is the most widespread genre-wise and region-wise of the ones mentioned here, as well as being one of the oldest. I would only put Nintendo above them.

Probably Valve if you include the impact that Steam has had.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

It's kind of hard to pick the most infliential ever. It kind of changed every now and ghen. For example, this gen it was probably the COD developers. All time, its probably Nintendo, although they are not third party.