By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

3DS Hardware is up YoY, but Software is not.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

3DS software in Japan is down over 20% YoY for fiscal year 2017. Support is slowing down. Fewer and fewer 3DS titles make it into the Media Create top 20, and like you admit yourself, it won't be up YoY when the year is over. All of these are signs of an aging platform. Don't be ridiculous Ryng.

I don't think you get what "showing his age" really mean, lol.

The 3DS is so far up YOY this year. Whatever will last or not, at the very worst, the YOY drop compared to 2016 won't be bigger than 10%. Now, tell me, a console which drop YOY by 10%, is it showing its age?

This year, 3DS was supposed to doing way, WAY worse than what it did and will do this year. A 10% drop during the 7th year of life, after a new system is released, it's basically nothign. Not only that, but almost makes wonder how 3DS would have performed withouth the Switch. Probabily better than last year, but whatever.

For what 3DS is, 2017 should have seen a YOY decrease most likely from 50% to 30% at the very best, instead of that, the 3DS surprised literally everyone, because there is no way someone last year expected performance like that.

Ok, let's make an example.

A man which is 80 years old, and is ranked like #6 or #7 worlwide in a super famous sport, is this man showing his age because is not the first in the world, when maybe he was 20 years ago? No, not even close lol, a man which is 80 years old should not even be able to play the game at that point, expecially if most people are like 20, 30, or 40 at worst.

For showing his "age" he should dream to be even TOP 100 in the world, because at that age there is no way you are still THAT good.

That was a very different and off topic comparation. So lets talk about the PS2.

Do you think the PS2 was showing his age in 2007? Even if in 2006 it shipped 14.72 million and dropped to only 13.7 million? Not even close, you are supposed to be WAY lower than that.

3DS would show his age only with expected numbers FOR HIS AGE. At the 7th year, after a new system is launched, his age should show a way bigger drop than that. But an INCREASE YOY? How is this even happened? This is not what 3DS should sell right now.

I guess is a matter to how you define this sentence, and i can see why you said that, but let's be honest, in case like that you seriusly need to overthink before calling others people ridiculous lol, cause i'm not even saying 3DS next year won't see another drop or anything.

Teeqoz said:
Kerotan said:

Why the negativity? Considering how old and dated the 3ds is it ain't a paltry performance imo. Under performing yes but this is an updated version on a platform on its way out. 3ds can't keep selling big software forever. 

I'd consider it more as being realistic that negative, but to each their own..

Oh ya each to their own alright.  

I'm being realistically positive.  Glass half full as such. 

It's doing fine considering the circumstances. 

Ryng_Tolu said:

No... i mean... Just no.

Like you said, USUM is expected to perform way lower than SM, and honestly i always expected not so great performance for this game. Like, i really don't know why people expected so explosive performance.

Just because you didn't expect US/UM to have an "explosive performance" doesn't mean it's not underperforming. Holding low personal standards does not equate to actual business standards. US/UM isn't doing well, period. However, the 3DS is actually doing quite well so late in the game; it's a testament to how fond the Japanese public are to the system.

My theory for why US/UM is underperforming is that GameFreak's 3DS entries have all sucked, and that's my professional take on the matter.

NintendoPie said:

Just because you didn't expect US/UM to have an "explosive performance" doesn't mean it's not underperforming. Holding low personal standards does not equate to actual business standards. US/UM isn't doing well, period. However, the 3DS is actually doing quite well so late in the game; it's a testament to how fond the Japanese public are to the system.

My theory for why US/UM is underperforming is that GameFreak's 3DS entries have all sucked, and that's my professional take on the matter.

Dude what the hell, did you read what i said? You just confirmed my words. I mean those were my points:

• I said USUM is underperforming. And i don't said is not underperforming only because i perdicted that. indeed i predicted it would underperform
  • 3DS is doing good, and is not the reason why USUM is low
Read my comment again lol.

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
Teeqoz said:

3DS software in Japan is down over 20% YoY for fiscal year 2017. Support is slowing down. Fewer and fewer 3DS titles make it into the Media Create top 20, and like you admit yourself, it won't be up YoY when the year is over. All of these are signs of an aging platform. Don't be ridiculous Ryng.

The 3DS is so far up YOY this year. Whatever will last or not, at the very worst, the YOY drop compared to 2016 won't be bigger than 10%. Now, tell me, a console which drop YOY by 10%, is it showing its age?

This year, 3DS was supposed to doing way, WAY worse than what it did and will do this year. A 10% drop during the 7th year of life, after a new system is released, it's basically nothign. Not only that, but almost makes wonder how 3DS would have performed withouth the Switch. Probabily better than last year, but whatever.

For what 3DS is, 2017 should have seen a YOY decrease most likely from 50% to 30% at the very best, instead of that, the 3DS surprised literally everyone, because there is no way someone last year expected performance like that.

A man which is 80 years old, and is ranked like #6 or #7 worlwide in a super famous sport, is this man showing his age because is not the first in the world, when maybe he was 20 years ago? No, not even close lol, a man which is 80 years old should not even be able to play the game at that point, expecially if most people are like 20, 30, or 40 at worst.

For showing his "age" he should dream to be even TOP 100 in the world, because at that age there is no way you are still THAT good.

That was a very different and off topic comparation. So lets talk about the PS2.

Do you think the PS2 was showing his age in 2007? Even if in 2006 it shipped 14.72 million and dropped to only 13.7 million? Not even close, you are supposed to be WAY lower than that.

3DS would show his age only with expected numbers FOR HIS AGE. At the 7th year, after a new system is launched, his age should show a way bigger drop than that. But an INCREASE YOY? How is this even happened? This is not what 3DS should sell right now.

I guess is a matter to how you define this sentence, and i can see why you said that, but let's be honest, in case like that you seriusly need to overthink before calling others people ridiculous lol, cause i'm not even saying 3DS next year won't see another drop or anything.

Software is down YoY over FY17, not to mention FY16 (and the picture would've been much bleaker if it hadn't been for DQXI). That decrease in user engagement can be primarily attributed to the 3DS' age. Same with the dwindling support. Hence it's showing its age. By all means, the 3DS is doing well considering its age, but that doesn't mean it isn't showing signs of aging.

The hardware sales are very good thanks to the New 2DS LL launch and DQXI, and being up YoY, even just so far is certainly an amazing performance, but the trend is down. Hardware sales aren't the only important metric for how a platform is doing.

Teeqoz said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Software is down YoY over FY17, not to mention FY16 (and the picture would've been much bleaker if it hadn't been for DQXI). That decrease in user engagement can be primarily attributed to the 3DS' age. Same with the dwindling support. Hence it's showing its age. By all means, the 3DS is doing well considering its age, but that doesn't mean it isn't showing signs of aging.

The hardware sales are very good thanks to the New 2DS LL launch and DQXI, and being up YoY, even just so far is certainly an amazing performance, but the trend is down. Hardware sales aren't the only important metric for how a platform is doing.

We can agree to disagree. Like i said, it all depend about how you interprete that sentence, overall we pretty much agree about 3DS performance (very good) and Pokémon performance (very low).

Also i don't talked about software because i think this is kinda an hard topic. If people buy less games, may be for many reason, not certainly because the userbase is dropping.

Last, it is true this year 3DS had a new version, the 2DS XL. (or LL) But is not like last year this is not happen. In 2016, we saw 2 release of the 2DS, one was limited in February 2016, and the other in September 2016. The limited version was not tracked by Media Create or Famitsu, but it sold 100k according to Nintendo. So this is how you should watch the comparation:

2017 = 1,288,668 VS 2016 = 1,163,851 + 100k (1,263,851)

Is clear that the 2DS XL heped the sales this year, but this happen last year as well.

Ryng_Tolu said:
NintendoPie said:

Dude what the hell, did you read what i said? You just confirmed my words. I mean those were my points:

• I said USUM is underperforming. And i don't said is not underperforming only because i perdicted that. indeed i predicted it would underperform
  • 3DS is doing good, and is not the reason why USUM is low
Read my comment again lol.

"honestly i always expected not so great performance for this game." That's what I'm commenting on. Your expectations for the game don't mean that what Teeqoz is saying is necessarily wrong. When you further clarify it here, I agree with you somewhat. But you don't always make sense so it seems/seemed like you are generally underplaying the underperformance of US/UM.

My comments about the 3DS were indeed agreeing with you... so yeah, I did confirm your words there. That's what I was doing.

good day monster hunter.