By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

Acevil said:

What was Resident Evil 4 opening against Boutros? or no COMG data for that?

I can't find the exact number but the Gamecube version ended with around 343 points and did 586 points in the weekly ranking. That was a pretty poor ratio though as it did around 150k first week.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Acevil said:

What was Resident Evil 4 opening against Boutros? or no COMG data for that?

I can't find the exact number but the Gamecube version ended with around 343 points and did 586 points in the weekly ranking. That was a pretty poor ratio though as it did around 150k first week.

That is very poor ratio, this should beat those numbers, how as the gamecube in Japan?

Acevil said:
Boutros said:

That is very poor ratio, this should beat those numbers, how as the gamecube in Japan?

You mean amount of Gamecube sold by the time RE4 came out? lol

It was at around 3.7m. A bit less than the PS4 but surprisingly similar.

Boutros said:
Acevil said:

Was the PS2 version known at any point, because if something like that was, it could be why. The poor ratio on launch. 

Slarvax said:
theDX said:

On the one hand, it's a launch game. Those are sometimes overshipped because retailers order too many copies. So it will likely sell as many copies as retailers first ordered (with the help of fire sales if neccessary).

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if this legitimately did better than the Wii/DS games (which sold about 50k on average) due to the fact that it's the first game in many years. All the recent Konami "re-boots" have done surprisingly well (Momotaro Dentetsu, Jikkyou Pro Yakyuu on PS4/PSV/PS3 and the 3DS game). The wait between games actually seems to help for some reason.

It makes sense. Do you know the meaning of Opportunity Cost?

Just in case, it simply means the more you do something, your desire of it decreases; the less you do it, the desire increases. That's why milking games results in huge drops in sales (Yokai Watch, Guitar Hero/music games).

Just in case, you probably should read a thing or two about opportunity cost. What you have given as an example is straight up incorrect, opportunity cost is a theoretical term and not defined like that at all.

Opportunity cost is when you have multiple choices and you pick one or multiple and some of the choices are then excluded.

Your example does not make sense since it cannot be known how much there is desire in the future. The amount of products/sequels/actions/etc. does not dictate the amount of desire, it is not carved in stone like that.

If you choose to make something more, it is not impossible for the desire to increase, it is not excluded.

If you choose to make something less, it is not impossible for the desire to decrease, it is not excluded.

For some real life video game examples look at some yearly franchises like COD, FIFA and Madden. The desire is not fixed to the amount.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Slarvax said:

It makes sense. Do you know the meaning of Opportunity Cost?

Just in case, it simply means the more you do something, your desire of it decreases; the less you do it, the desire increases. That's why milking games results in huge drops in sales (Yokai Watch, Guitar Hero/music games).

You mean the law of diminishing returns (which typically means that if you keep have two variables eventually you will not receive the same returns for more output). Opportunity cost is the factor of what cost do I get if I did something vs doing something else. Like my opportunity cost by buying a house is that I cannot invest that money to make more money. 

I knew I wasn't the only one who wanted to correct that patronizing attitude.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

WC4Life said:
Acevil said:

You mean the law of diminishing returns (which typically means that if you keep have two variables eventually you will not receive the same returns for more output). Opportunity cost is the factor of what cost do I get if I did something vs doing something else. Like my opportunity cost by buying a house is that I cannot invest that money to make more money. 

I had nothing really against his attitude, I sort of knew what he was trying to describe, law of diminishing returns was the closest description to it, but ya Opportunity costs was not the correct word. However ya, sometimes using the economic terms can be patronizing and namely when you use it incorrectly you come off really bad at times (I made this mistake in the past). 

Acevil said:
Boutros said:

Was the PS2 version known at any point, because if something like that was, it could be why. The poor ratio on launch. 

Sincerely, the RE4 GC comparison makes nonsense. First of all, the PS2 port was announced months before the GC version release and everybody was waiting for that version. Even GC hardware barely moved when it was released (8k sold that week lol).

Even if we compare RE4 with other RE titles on GameCube, its sales suck. This is the LTD that I have from Famitsu:

[GCN] Resident Evil 0 (Capcom) - 350.762

[GCN] Resident Evil Remake (Capcom) - 203.220

[GCN] Resident Evil 4 (Capcom) - 196.200

Resident Evil 4 sold far less than 0, and it didn't beat the remake. RE4 sold most of his copies on PS2 and Wii. Here Capcom shipped numbers for each SKU (Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html )

PS2 Resident Evil 4 - 2.3M shipped

WII Resident Evil 4 - 2M shipped

GCN Resident Evil 4 - 1.6M shipped

Now that we know shipped numbers, let's move on to the second point. Capcom expects Resident Evil 7 to ship 4 millions by March 2017. How does a RE4 GC comparison make sense here with just 1.6M shipped LTD? The game ultra bombed, are we expecting REVII to bomb that hard?

The most accurate comparison in my opinion is RE5! Why? Because the game was launched in March 2009 at it shipped 4 million units on its first month. That's the goal Capcom is aiming with RE7 by March 2017. Let's check the First Week (this time Media Create):

[PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 319.570

[360] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 79.157

Also PS3 hardware sales were 2.8M by that time. PS4 is higher, so not unrealistic sales. 

Now, RE7 has to sell 4 millions in a little more than two months, while RE5 sold that number in just one month. So, RE7 sales doesn't need to be that high. Let's say we can remove 360 sales and make a direct comparison with just the PS3 version.

We can ask later if Capcom expectations are archivable or not, but looking at these numbers, this is the fairest comparison.

Media Create Annual Archive (Spanish version)

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/topic/2246651/

hiska-kun said:
Acevil said:

Sincerely, the RE4 GC comparison makes nonsense. First of all, the PS2 port was announced months before the GC version release and everybody was waiting for that version. Even GC hardware barely moved when it was released (8k sold that week lol).

Even if we compare RE4 with other RE titles on GameCube, its sales suck. This is the LTD that I have from Famitsu:

[GCN] Resident Evil 0 (Capcom) - 350.762

[GCN] Resident Evil Remake (Capcom) - 203.220

[GCN] Resident Evil 4 (Capcom) - 196.200

Resident Evil 4 sold far less than 0, and it didn't beat the remake. RE4 sold most of his copies on PS2 and Wii. Here Capcom shipped numbers for each SKU (Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html )

PS2 Resident Evil 4 - 2.3M shipped

WII Resident Evil 4 - 2M shipped

GCN Resident Evil 4 - 1.6M shipped

Now that we know shipped numbers, let's move on to the second point. Capcom expects Resident Evil 7 to ship 4 millions by March 2017. How does a RE4 GC comparison make sense here with just 1.6M shipped LTD? The game ultra bombed, are we expecting REVII to bomb that hard?

The most accurate comparison in my opinion is RE5! Why? Because the game was launched in March 2009 at it shipped 4 million units on its first month. That's the goal Capcom is aiming with RE7 by March 2017. Let's check the First Week (this time Media Create):

[PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 319.570

[360] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 79.157

Also PS3 hardware sales were 2.8M by that time. PS4 is higher, so not unrealistic sales. 

Now, RE7 has to sell 4 millions in a little more than two months, while RE5 sold that number in just one month. So, RE7 sales doesn't need to be that high. Let's say we can remove 360 sales and make a direct comparison with just the PS3 version.

We can ask later if Capcom expectations are archivable or not, but looking at these numbers, this is the fairest comparison.

Thanks Hiska-Kun, I did not know how quickly the ps2 version was known, if it is before, yes that makes it illogical comparisons, so basically in your honest opinion we should compare Resident Evil 5 to 7, similar usesbases. I only accept comparisions between Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 7 because both tried something very unique. However if we are going by franchise alone, resident evil 5 is the most logical since similar userbase in Japan and nothing to hinder it. 

Also thanks for the Resident Evil numbers. 

WC4Life said:
Acevil said:

Acevil said:
WC4Life said:

I had nothing really against his attitude, I sort of knew what he was trying to describe, law of diminishing returns was the closest description to it, but ya Opportunity costs was not the correct word. However ya, sometimes using the economic terms can be patronizing and namely when you use it incorrectly you come off really bad at times (I made this mistake in the past). 

I just knew there was a logical reason for that to happen, and remembered some old economics class I had. I thought OC was the term. Sorry if I came up rude or patronizing.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988