By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who here is getting an SSD for the PS4?

Will you be purchasing a Solid State Drive for the PS4?

Yes 163 44.54%

No 60 16.39%

Depends on the price 79 21.58%

See results 64 17.49%

Total:366

I'll pass on putting a SSD on a console thanks.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Well SSD didn't benefit PS3 much, but PS3 was nothing like a PC while PS4 is almost like a PC in disguise. I suspect that an SSD will benefit PS4 immensely, but I will wait for sites like Eurogamer to test it before I buy one.

This is my thinking process as well. From what I understand, the reason why the PS3 didn't benefit from a SSD drive is because it only supported SATA1 bandwidth. Unless I am mistaken PS4 will supports SATA 3 so there should be a tangable benefit. I agree that when the games are loaded that unless they are horribly optimised there will not be a noticable difference. However when it comes to loading apps, installations, copying and just in general any tasks carried out on the operating system there should be a substantial benefit.

For my PS3 I purchased a 3rd party 320gig 7200rpm drive and the main benefit I have noticed is reduced installation and copy times. Since the PS4 is more PC like I am hoping that adding a solid state drive will provide more benefits. What I will do though is wait for some reviews and evaluate my options. I will buy a PS4 at launch but I'm not going to thoughtlessly jump on the SSD bandwagon unless it is worth it.

edit- By the way if anyone is interested, for reference here is a link where they asess if there are any benefits to the PS3 game performance when using different HDDs and SSDs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance  

nope, I will just get the HDD that will come with the PS4, and the rest of my money (which is not much these days sadly) will go to games.

I only have 250 gigs left on the 1TB HDD in my PS3 now, so an SSD that could satisfy my storage needs is beyond my budget at the moment. Maybe 3-4 years down the road.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

My PS3 uses SSD so why not PS4

In GT5 the SSD did a brutal change in the experience and loadtimes... some loads goes down from 30s to less than 10s.

Around the Network
adriane23 said:
I only have 250 gigs left on the 1TB HDD in my PS3 now, so an SSD that could satisfy my storage needs is beyond my budget at the moment. Maybe 3-4 years down the road.

This seems to be the major issue for most which is understandable. Until we reach a point where we can acquire a solid state drive with a decent amount of memory for a fair price, it will not be an attractive option for most.

If it makes as big a difference as on PS3 then without a doubt. I have a PS3 in the living room, the game room, and the bedroom, The game room one has a ssd 256GB, the living room is a stock 500GB 2012 slim, and the original 60GB in the bed room has a 750GB HDD.

The 2009 slim in the game room saw massive improvements from SSD to stock. All open world games run faster (no chugging, no pop in, ect.), menus in every game are much smoother. Games like Madden, FFXII, and other menu heavy games have had small hick-ups on both of my other units, and sail along smooth in the game room. And even though it is useless, the XMB snaps onto the screen, and everything is loaded and ready to tell me i must quit the game to start this app.

With the greatly expanded multi-tasking on PS4 I suspect a SSD would be even more useful. Hope Sony keeps with the industry standards.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

PS3 had a crappy sata-interface which led to bad performance of an ssd (in comparison to how they perform with a PC). The NextGen-consoles will offer high-speed-busses with high-speed devices attached to them so PS4 will benefit much more than PS3 if equipped with an ssd.

The benefit you get from installing a SSD is not enough considering the cost of a SSD. Plus you won't get much space and it will be a pain if you have PS+. I'll just install the 750GB hard drive that I use on my PS3 (assuming it is possible on PS4 as well).

Of course in the second or third year of PS4 if SSD's come down in price considerably, why not.

Probably best to wait to see what PS4 actually has... the cost of a SSD, especially one to come close to giving you the space you'd want, might negate any potential benefit on speed.