By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss with the launch of PS4"

Somini said:
green_sky said:
US$599...?

More like 449 basic and 499 premium.

That price seems like too much to me.  4xx anything does.  I think the first number needs to be a 3, even for a premium video game product.  Example $399.

Same way I thought Nintendo's max price should have been $299

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
cunger said:

If they aren't planning a loss then Microsoft has an advantage as they are capable of winning the price war with subsidization.  The PS4 is looking more and more like the gamecube to me.

LOL! Ps4 will sell a minimum of 3x more than the gamecube.  It's not that it looks like it to you. Its that you wish it was. Huge difference

I'm sure it will sell better.  All systems do. It's a different time when consoles appeal to more than just serious gamers. And the games lineup will be much stronger.  I just think that Microsoft can position itself much better to hit the mainstream than Sony which seems to be targeting the core exclusively. Perhaps is more like a xbox and cube together if it had launched the same day as the PS2.

kupomogli said:
FrancisNobleman said:

If PS4 pulls vita numbers, Sony is in for major financial troubles.

Not really.  You can sell poorly and still make profit.  The Gamecube was in last place but Nintendo still profited that generation.

Nintendo sells consoles for little or no loss, even a small profit, Sony on the other hand

happydolphin said:

The pricing will be a little lower than the PS3 launch pricing, but ultimately the console will cost much less than the PS3 did at launch, so overall a better price, and less loss-leading.

A more sound strategy overall.

$499??????

ArnoldRimmer said:
Wagram said:
Never understood selling a product at a loss to recoup through software or accessories. I don't believe i've ever seen that as a successful viable strategy.

I'd recommend looking up look up how Rockefeller became so incredibly rich...

No game company has made money over the long term using that business model, not one

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
happydolphin said:

The pricing will be a little lower than the PS3 launch pricing, but ultimately the console will cost much less than the PS3 did at launch, so overall a better price, and less loss-leading.

$499??????

Maybe $449 for a real basic model. $499 is where i'd put my money though.

Would be surprised if Microsoft or Sony's systems sold below $399

It's just that simple.

well anything is better than being crunched with a sledgehammer

they shouldn't even consider selling at a loss,crazy talk

Above & Beyond

Wagram said:
Never understood selling a product at a loss to recoup through software or accessories. I don't believe i've ever seen that as a successful viable strategy.

Its called the Razor/Blade model. Sell the Razor with proprietary blades at a loss and make profit on the blades later.

It worked out for Sony with the PS1 and 2 both consoles were sold at a loss first. Its an agressive tactic but can massively backfire (PS3/Xbox) Its basically a strategy to get a foot in a competitive market (Consoles/Bluray), it can proof succesful long term. Lets say Samsung suddenly wants the console market now they could start bleeding money and sell at loss with the hopes to choke out Sony or MS or Nintendo. Sony did that with Sega (299vs399) MS secured a spot in the console market and Sony won a format war.

aikohualda said:
happydolphin said:

$499??????

The PS2 launched at 299$ I believe, this is somewhere in the middle of the PS2 and the PS3 right? I'd say 399$? Not sure.