By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss with the launch of PS4"

Never understood selling a product at a loss to recoup through software or accessories. I don't believe i've ever seen that as a successful viable strategy.

Around the Network

The price estimates for parts alone came to about $400, not including, shipping, ads, and making the console. It will not be cheap..... It won't be $599 either.

FrancisNobleman said:

If PS4 pulls vita numbers, Sony is in for major financial troubles.

Not really.  You can sell poorly and still make profit.  The Gamecube was in last place but Nintendo still profited that generation.

Interesting, so $499 seems like a likely price, perhaps $449 for a "Basic" standalone bundle.

E3 should be good.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

kupomogli said:
FrancisNobleman said:

Not really.  You can sell poorly and still make profit.  The Gamecube was in last place but Nintendo still profited that generation.

So you think Sony will not sell PS4 at  loss?

Around the Network

If they aren't planning a loss then Microsoft has an advantage as they are capable of winning the price war with subsidization.  The PS4 is looking more and more like the gamecube to me.

cunger said:

If they aren't planning a loss then Microsoft has an advantage as they are capable of winning the price war with subsidization.  The PS4 is looking more and more like the gamecube to me.

LOL! Ps4 will sell a minimum of 3x more than the gamecube.  It's not that it looks like it to you. Its that you wish it was. Huge difference

Play4Fun said:
kupomogli said:
FrancisNobleman said:

So you think Sony will not sell PS4 at  loss?

From the quote they've said they won't sell it at much of a loss so they will still sell it at a loss, probably similar to Nintendo where they only need to sell atleast one game to turn a profit. 

What I meant though was by the chance that it did sell poorly, it doesn't necessarily mean that they would have lost money.

I can see Kaz at E3 now:

"999 US dollars!"

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Wagram said:
Never understood selling a product at a loss to recoup through software or accessories. I don't believe i've ever seen that as a successful viable strategy.

I'd recommend looking up look up how Rockefeller became so incredibly rich...