By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony forecast only 5 million Vita and PSP unit sales in FY14

Lucas-Rio said:
Even Soonby recognize it's dead. Wow

where have they stated this? so taking a reserved projection for a product sales = a dead product now? since when?

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

Such a shame.. I bought a Vita on release day and the only great games ive played on it are FF IX and P4G, two games ive already played through multiple times before. I still have hope though, not much but its there

joeorc said:
Lucas-Rio said:

where have they stated this? so taking a reserved projection for a product sales = a dead product now? since when?

Yes, projecting to sell less than 5 millions of Vita (5 millions is with PSP) in its 2-3 years, is abyssmal, a sign of near discontinuation.

lol no Vita price cut this year. LMFAO.

What is Sony thinking? Do they think games are the only issue now? We're way passed that. Price has now become an issue and it needs to be addressed. It's a shame the Vita for Sony is nothing more than a PS3/PS4 accessory. As a Vita owner I don't like it.

Lucas-Rio said:
joeorc said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Yes, projecting to sell less than 5 millions of Vita (5 millions is with PSP) in its 2-3 years, is abyssmal, a sign of near discontinuation.

PS2 says hi.

Vita has barely entered its 2nd year. It has nowhere to go but up. It is nowhere near being discontinued. I bet PSP will be sold for YEARS as well in 3rd world countries.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

I love competition on the market as well - otherwise we'll be seeing future nintendo portables becoming more expensive like the price hike they did with the 3DS ($249.99 the first few months - i.e. a cocky nintendo = a expensive nintendo). I would love if Sony could prosper in the portable market but the way things are going and the fact that they just came back from the meltdown the PS3 had - I think its way more riskier for them to invest on two aspects and instead should focus on what they do best which is the home console front.

That would be one thing, but if you have not noticed that will not work anymore to just concentrate on one thing like just "living room" console's anymore

The reason being is content on the go has changed the Dynamic, App stores is pretty much the key flexing point that has disrupted this area of the Market all three know this. the fact of the Matter is if sony does not keep the PSVita in the market they loose out to companies that will. its no coincidence that Sony talked about the Playstation Suite the day and Date with the PSVita on stage the same release event. its pretty easy to see why.

Microsoft is making smartglass correct?

Nintendo is not developed the WiiU to have as a platform Mobile software can be ported and play in your house anywhere, but not just Mobile full living room games.

Asking for Sony to just up and Quit that market trend is not a viable option, look at it this way.

You have smart TV's , Tablet's, smartphone's and Topset box'es like Apple TV, and Google TV. all those devices has some mobile device that direct connect's or allows you to take content on the Go. Again Asking Sony to pull out of that market trend when everyone else is doing just that is like asking Sony to ignore an area of the Market that they really as a company need to be in , grow and  develop market product's into that area of they will fall behind.

Sony cannot and i doubt very much will not just allow that to happen without trying all options on the table if they can, and the options are still on the table, further iP creation, further price cut later, lower entry point for Software and more benefits for cross buy and cross purchase incentives . Sony is looking at the PSVita as "part" of an Eco system they are building not the center.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

VGKing said:
Lucas-Rio said:
joeorc said:
Lucas-Rio said:

PS2 says hi.

Vita has barely entered its 2nd year. It has nowhere to go but up. It is nowhere near being discontinued. I bet PSP will be sold for YEARS as well in 3rd world countries.

Honestly, do you think that 5 millions of Vita/PSP is something else that the recognition of a big failure?

Sony doesn't even hope to salvage thei system apparently. At this pace it will do less than 20 millions LT.

Kresnik said:
I will just say what I said about it in the Vita thread:

"The only way I can justify it is that it's actually quite a sensible prediction. Last year, even with Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed, it sold 3.5 million for the year. If it sells that again with a bit of a boost + 1.5m for PSP then it'll be bang on their prediction. Perhaps they're just being sensible; and that there is software coming, but it won't provide that big of a boost."

100% agreement, what happened to the PSP with its software drying up and the loss of backward's compatability of the PSPGo, the hacking PSN TOOK  and the exploit of personal info many see the PSPVita as a less viable choice for gaming, hell pretty much with anything Sony right now. Sony's had to pretty much a hard go at it this generation from low value of its stock to the perception of its product value, many feel the brand name of Sony no longer hold the weight it ever had anymore and Sony's going to have to take many years of this rough edge in the market to fix this very perception about Sony as a company, the Product's Sony makes and Sony's viability in any market they are in right now.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Why are people saying no price cut for Vita? Last year the system sold about 3.5 million units. It's currently trending at 60% of last year's performance even with a price cut in Japan. That projects to about 2.1 million sales worldwide at the current pace. Unless something drastic is done Sony will come up 50% short of hitting this target. I would suggest a goal of 5 million units would in fact imply a western price cut is guarenteed. If it's like Japan a price cut could boost sales upwards of 50% and we could see Vita exceeding 3 million units worldwide, and maybe with some software surprises and continued PSP sales the 5 million goal may not be that big of a stretch.

Also, it's not a stretch to say that PS Vita is in a lot of trouble and there isn't a lot of hope of a big turn around at this stage. It's certainly not "trolling" to say it may be Sony's last dedicated handheld. At its current rate it will be lucky to exceed 15 million lifetime. Iwata himself said that if Wii didn't exceed the 20 million of the Gamecube that Nintendo would have questioned its console future.

I actually think its extremely likely that PS Vita will be the last Sony handheld. The market has taken a beating from smartphones, and the remainder of the market seems consumed by 3DS. It's probably good for the market if Nintendo has a monopoly, as it isn't a true monopoly with the smartphone competition. Dedicated games developers are probably best off putting all of their resources focusing on one platform to make it a valuable alternative to phone and tablet gaming.

I think the future of Sony portable gaming is in the excellent XPeria phones. I picked up a ZL and its outstanding. I don't think its a stretch at all to think that in about 2-3 years we see the latest XPeria line offering Playstation editions and games. This could be lucrative and successful. Sony isnt't a big enough software maker to push a handheld on their own, but if they offer great connectivity with PS4 they could push phones and 3rd parties may make mobile editions and so forth. Sony lacks the child-friendly brands like Mario and Pokemon and the software capacity to make a cheap dedicated handheld successful, and expensive handhelds have little appeal now with almost all adults having a smartphone.

Lucas-Rio said:
VGKing said:
Lucas-Rio said:
joeorc said:
Lucas-Rio said:

PS2 says hi.

Honestly, do you think that 5 millions of Vita/PSP is something else that the recognition of a big failure?

Sony doesn't even hope to salvage thei system apparently. At this pace it will do less than 20 millions LT.

It's not a recognition of failure, its a recogniation of reality. PSP is on decline and Vita will struggle without a price drop. Would it make you happy if they overestimated Vita/PSP sales? As long as Vita is on the market, its not a failure.