By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony forecast only 5 million Vita and PSP unit sales in FY14

DirtyP2002 said:
Yeah, the Vita is really dead in the water. It will be Sonys last handheld.

I hope this is your last post on this site.

See what I did there?!

Around the Network
joeorc said:
Chandler said:

That forecast looks to me like Sony knows that they got nothing to turn this around. There will probably token effort until christmas with Tearaway, Killzone and maybe Gravity Rush 2 and by this time next year the Vita will be a PS4 remote play machine, which kinda sucks for me since I am not planning to buy one anytime soon.

"That forecast looks to me like Sony knows that they got nothing to turn this around."

Im seeing this in one shape or form stated, but there is no real evidence to point toward that outcome at all that Sony see's no way to turn the PSVita around.

if anything that was said over and over again the PS3!, its being stated right now about the WiiU and its also being stated about Windows Phone.

Not saying its for sure going to be turned around, but im also not saying there is no chance for it. which many it seem's to be implying that Sony does not see an outlook for the PSVita than a dead platform. If that was true the same thing would have happened to the PS3 many years ago.

I'm pretty sure Sony never forecasted a number like that for PS3+PS2 so the PS3 comparison is not viable.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

hmmmm, unfortunate but, I totally called it.

A real shame. I have no idea what they're playing at.

Chandler said:

I'm pretty sure Sony never forecasted a number like that for PS3+PS2 so the PS3 comparison is not viable.

The  forecasted sales projection is not key indicators of if the system will get support by the company that makes the system, what is the key indicator is if retail chains keep ording the system. and sofar they are! i just keep getting this feeling many are getting too quick to write off any new platform.

when there is not enough market time to give any real strength to that outcome when the fact's are the system is still selling! if this year or next year the retail chains refuse to carry the PSVita than that's one thing, which is what happened to the PSPGo, which i think many are jumping the gun looking at the PSVita right now as what happened to the PSPGo will in effect happen to the PSVita.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
hmmmm, unfortunate but, I totally called it.

called what? that the PSVita is a dead platform, or that Sony is going to reduce sale's projections further?

or Both?

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

It's better for them to lower their expectations and budget accordingly to most likely exceed them, than to aim to high, fall short, and not meet financial target.

badgenome said:
joeorc said:

you don't think games are a first priority for the PSVita?

I just don't think the Vita is a priority for Sony, period, and I don't know why they even launched it in the first place. But yeah, I think they have especially taken their eyes off the ball when it comes to games. All they had to do was line up substantial software support from day one, and the rest would have taken care of itself. They even let Monster Hunter - the game that basically single-handedly saved the PSP - slip away from them. Now it's stuck in one of those feedback loops where nobody will make games for it because nobody else is making games for it, and the Vita is dead because everyone thinks it is dead.

A lot of your arguments give me the impression that you think it's somehow ridiculous to expect a platform holder to make games for its own system. It isn't. Sony blew something in the neighborhood of $100 million for marketing the Vita in America, and that ad campaign was almost completely invisible. Considering how massively ineffective it was they would have done better to throw that money at publishers to get them to make Vita games that could shift hardware.

The Vita doesn't make a good comparison to the PS3 because the PS3 was always going to get good software support. It was similar enough in capabilities to the 360 that it could always piggyback off of it in a way that the Vita can't piggyback off of any other system. More importantly, after the PS1 and PS2 all the third parties were banking on the PS3 to be a successful product. When it flopped they were all too invested in it to drop it and had to follow through with their planned support, so it became a success anyway. It's the flipside of how the Wii was written off by all third parties before launch and when it became such a runaway success no one was positioned to take advantage of it.

"All they had to do was line up substantial software support from day one, and the rest would have taken care of itself. They even let Monster Hunter - the game that basically single-handedly saved the PSP - slip away from them. "

you do not think soul sacrifice may have had something to do with that? you do not think capcom, will wait for the PSVita to gain more install base before they support the PSVita with another Monster Hunter?

just because people on forums here think the platform is dead does not mean outright it is.

"The Vita doesn't make a good comparison to the PS3 because the PS3 was always going to get good software support. It was similar enough in capabilities to the 360 that it could always piggyback off of it in a way that the Vita can't piggyback off of any other system."

and the PSVita is not the same piggy backing as it would for smartphone's and Tablets?

why do you think sony day in date at the unvailing of the PSVita at the time called the NGP talked about "PLAYSTATION SUITE OR IE: PLAYSTATION MOBILE"

why do you think that Sony is getting Unity 3D game engine running on all three platforms for indie developer's and publisher's?.

Sony's idea for playstation on mobile platforms is not just relying on dedicated game handhelds they are including smartphones and Tablets in the Mobile gaming Mix. Sony is building a unfied playstation Platform. before playstation's like the PS2 and the PSP were not geared toward being a unified platform eco system for development. Sony is going toward that with Playstation. The PSVita is part of that ECO system.

If you have not noticed Microsoft is going about the same thing with Windows 8, 

Same with Nintendo. To say that Sony is writing off the PSVita based on these sales projections is a lil narow minded in thinking in my opinion, and people best be sure that can be at their own folly.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Hynad said:

It's better for them to lower their expectations and budget accordingly to most likely exceed them, than to aim to high, fall short, and not meet financial target.

exactly, Sony's being prudent which for the past outlook for the PSVita sales projection's was not the case. At the Time they thought they could make the sales projection's, that was not the case so they are taking a more reserved outlook on sales projects for this product and price scale perception is the biggie of not just the system but blank memory and content. And i bet this has more to do with the smartphone sales that Sony is having with smartphones than what they are having with the PSVita. The smartphone market not just in hardware but software also absolutly dwarf's this part of the dedicated game handheld market.

Sony may be looking to gather slow sale's until they can drop the price without breaking the bank doing it. that means lower market share but less profit loss.

Many it seems do not think Sony is going to try to ride this out?

Well 9 years of straight loss in the TV part of their biz, show's they can have and done just that, not saying its good stratagy but it does show they have been known to do such even at such massive loss'es.

again if the retail chains keep buying the product i doubt Sony is going to call it quit's , i think they would rather sell 2 to 3 million a year than just let Nintendo be the only option for a dedicated game handheld in the market as long as A : they have the foot in the door, and B: as long as the retail chains keep restocking the product. Support is what matter's and even at this stage Sony is showing support for this platform.

I AM BOLO

ps:

pezus said:

Funny how Vita seems to be the only thing some people are focusing on. Why not discuss the impressive PS3 sales and the fact that it is now second and will finish the "generation" in second and might come in first when it's finally stopped selling. By that I mean you are missing in other threads

Impressive? We don't even know what they are lol, since Sony is to busy hiding them, I wonder why? I think its still in last lol but ofcourse since the numbers are hidden I guess we'll never know. That's a big might by the way. They are predicting only 10 million to be sold this year which means they expect it to dip by atleast 3.5 million if the PS2 did 3 million. I thought the PS2 shipped more than that last year and Sony mentioned all of their other devices declining but the PS2. Whether you like it or not the Vita being to predicted to ship so little is alarming and if Ninty did the same for WiiU you would be all over it. Instead Ninty showed confidence in their plats. They expect 3DS to ship more than PS3, Vita, and PSP. That's pretty impressive and will be difficult but I do expect it to be achieved.