By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony forecast only 5 million Vita and PSP unit sales in FY14

joeorc said:

you do not think soul sacrifice may have had something to do with that? you do not think capcom, will wait for the PSVita to gain more install base before they support the PSVita with another Monster Hunter?

just because people on forums here think the platform is dead does not mean outright it is.

No, and no. Now that Capcom has sent every possible signal to say, "If you want to play Monster Hunter, buy a Nintendo system," I think the series will never see the light of day on Vita. Playing the waiting game makes zero sense because software drives hardware sales, not vice versa, and a good game that is released early in a system's life will sell throughout the system's life. Especially now with digital sales making scarcity a thing of the past. If Capcom cared to be on the Vita, they'd have been there already.

joeorc said:
and the PSVita is not the same piggy backing as it would for smartphone's and Tablets?

No. It's getting a few ports here and there, but do you really think anyone is going to buy a gaming device to play overpriced ports of smart phone apps? Of course not. One minute you are making a big deal about how long it takes to make games for the Vita because they are near console quality, so we shouldn't expect any this decade, the next you are talking about phone apps... it's a bit of a mixed message.

The bottom line is the software support is pretty abysmal, at least in terms of actual system sellers, which will in turn keep system sellers from ever showing up on the system. Sony simply shouldn't have launched until they had suitable software. Now the system has "loser" stink all over it and no one will touch it without serious incentive$.

In theory, could Sony turn it around like Nintendo did with the 3DS? Sure. But Nintendo has focused on the 3DS to the point that the Wii U is in almost exactly the same position as the Vita. It will benefit from those eventual big Nintendo games, of course, but by launching prematurely and then putting all its resources into salvaging the 3DS, Nintendo has ensured that most publishers will conclude that the Wii U is not worth investing in and then use the fact that no one is investing in it as justification for why they shouldn't invest in it. And it doesn't really need pointing out that handheld gaming is central to Nintendo's business so this was just a matter of choosing the lesser evil for them. Meanwhile, handheld gaming has always been more of a lark for Sony and they care too much about the PS4 to do this, so there is no 3DS like salvation coming down the pipes for the Vita.

Around the Network

Capcom was already on the PSVita! not putting Monster Hunter off the bat could have been because Nintendo paid them for exclusive, or because Sony's got a Monster esk type of game that was in development at the time. Maybe Capcom want to wait until the install base grows on the PSVita! who know's what kinda deal capcom has, that does not mean that Monster Hunter will never be a no show on the PSVita.

people wanted games Sony's getting them!.Because not all smartphone games are just like any game for that matter being a port does not mean its an over priced port, what matter's is that developers can bring the game to the PSVita, its a game!  just because smartphone games are on smartphones does not make than anyless viable to port, for example the playstation PVita has 2 analog control's thus that smartphone game can get ported to the PSVita with better control imput's what does it matter if its a smartphone game being ported  or not..its still a game!

Once again because ,Sony's development speed is not as quick as other 1st party's with their platform ,many are calling the PSVita a dead platform right now and I think its going to be to their folly to outright call this a dead platform, but you loose nothing calling it dead anyway, because if it makes it you will still be able to buy the platform and get the games cheaper anyway so its a moot point, if you are right than you called a dead platform a dead platform. yay

How about we all wait and see what happens.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:

but you loose nothing calling it dead anyway, because if it makes it you will still be able to buy the platform and get the games cheaper anyway so its a moot point

I am not waiting for a price drop on a system I already own.

joeorc said:

Yeah. I guess we should all just ignore all the signs that the house is on fire. Nobody should talk about it because who knows? It may not actually burn to the ground. Maybe there is an invisible firefighting squad that is extinguishing the blaze as we speak.

badgenome said:
joeorc said:

but you loose nothing calling it dead anyway, because if it makes it you will still be able to buy the platform and get the games cheaper anyway so its a moot point

I am not waiting for a price drop on a system I already own.

joeorc said:

Yeah. I guess we should all just ignore all the signs that the house is on fire. Nobody should talk about it because who knows? It may not actually burn to the ground. Maybe there is an invisible firefighting squad that is extinguishing the blaze as we speak.

Oh' come on ..lol , THIS VERY THING HAS BEEN SAID IN ONE WAY SHAPE OR FORM ABOUT EVERY PLAYSTATION SYSTEM

"Yeah. I guess we should all just ignore all the signs that the house is on fire. Nobody should talk about it because who knows? It may not actually burn to the ground. Maybe there is an invisible firefighting squad that is extinguishing the blaze as we speak."

Why PlayStation2 will fail

Sony did many things wrong with the PS2, there's no way it will be #1... it'll probably be #2 or even #3. The reason the PSX is so cool and successful is that it appeals to EVERYONE, not just a select crowd of people. PlayStation2 will be stuck in the middle between Dreamcast and Dolphin... the only thing that it won't have between DC and Dolphin is the price... PS2 will be the most expensive of the three.

PlayStation2 will cost a lot. $375 is way too much for most people to spend on a console. Now I know some 30 year old "kid" who buys all the latest electronics and games is gonna come on here and say that PS2 price is no problem for him, and that it'll go perfect with his high end home theater system and provide broadband products and services into his home.

Well that's just great... he and the other few thousand like him in the world will buy PS2 and love it, and the rest of the people on the earth will buy either Dreamcast or Dolphin, depending on how long they feel like waiting before joining the next generation.

What about the real kids... the ones without 5 or even 6 figure paychecks? What are they going to buy? Do you think they'll pay Sony's outrageous price just to get a few features that they don't even need nor care about? Hell no! They'll go to the store looking for PS2 and then get a Dreamcast because it'll be less than half the price (sega has said they will lower DC to $150 when PS2 launches). Then later on when people come to buy PS2, the Dolphin will be out... these customers will see a more powerful machine for at most the same cost as the PS2, providing Sony lowers it substantially. If not, Dolphin will actually be cheaper. Don't forget that Dolphin will have a worldwide launch in December 2000... PS2 only has a 3 month head start in the US and the rest of the world. PS2's only real lead is in Japan, considering that 3 months makes no difference, since Dolphin will be ready that Christmas anyway, when most systems are sold.

To reiterate, here's what the average gamer will do:

1. From now until holidays 2000, they'll see PS2 and get a heart attack from the high price, then they'll check out the Dreamcast which will be almost as good but at a $150 price. They'll get the Dreamcast.

2. From 2001 on, anyone who is looking to buy PS2 will probably also see Dolphin in the same store, and go with it since it's the most powerful machine. And it'll have great games like Mario and Zelda on it too, sure to be big system sellers.

PlayStation2 is overpriced, it only has a 3 month headstart on Dolphin everywehre but Japan, and it has a bunch of useless features that won't be used by mainstream consumers until the PS2's game abilities are obsolete.
iT WAS SAID BACK THAN , IT WAS SAID ABOUT THE PSP, IT WAS SAID ABOUT THE PS3.
its being said about the PSVita right now.
Hey its great the prediction about the PSPGo was correct..LMAO at least the doom sayer's got that one right.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I will just say what I said about it in the Vita thread:

"The only way I can justify it is that it's actually quite a sensible prediction. Last year, even with Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed, it sold 3.5 million for the year. If it sells that again with a bit of a boost + 1.5m for PSP then it'll be bang on their prediction. Perhaps they're just being sensible; and that there is software coming, but it won't provide that big of a boost."

Around the Network
joeorc said:

Where did you dredge this up from? Some random forum? Not that it matters...

Why the Playstation 2 did not fail: it had games people wanted.

Why the Playstation Vita has failed: it doesn't.

Maybe there forcasting low so when it exceeps expectations, it will seem more successful

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

BasilZero said:

Although I'm glad Sony made the PSP (had a lot of great moments) I still dont think it was worthwhile in the long run for them to continue the portable aspect.

They should focus on the home consoles and Gaikai.

and what mainly let Nintendo have a Monopoly on the dedicated Portable game system market?

I mean there is other's like the Wiki Pad, the Nvidia shield, but let the fact the only other company to really push for a dedicated game system handheld other than Nintendo is Sony right now. I wonder would people be this so quick to write off a Game handheld made by Microsoft or again By Sega if they were not getting their projected sales. whould people want them to drop their dedicated Game system mobile offering for dedicated portable game handheld systems?

And Let Nintendo once again be the Only offering to the consumer?

I would not. because competition is good in the market. or would you rather have a company keep selling their handhelds to the gamer for a premium price for quite outdated Hardware, we already have one other company that already does that  Atleast Having another company that does give you High end hardware for a decent price is better than nothing. what your asking for is Nothing in the market, because that is what we will get if no other company steps upto the plate to atleast give the option for another product in the market place for dedicated game handhelds with strong 1st party offering's for internal studio's making exclusive games for the platform.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Even Sony recognize it's dead. Wow

User was warned for this post - Kantor

badgenome said:
joeorc said:

Where did you dredge this up from? Some random forum? Not that it matters...

Why the Playstation 2 did not fail: it had games people wanted.

Why the Playstation Vita has failed: it doesn't.

right from the official playstation forum..lol

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-2-PSOne/Why-PlayStation2-will-fail/td-p/295972http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-2-PSOne/Why-PlayStation2-will-fail/td-p/295972

Why the Playstation 2 did not fail: it had games people wanted. not everyone agreed

Not from the start it did not or someone would not have made that very point on the official playstation forums..lol back than

Why the Playstation Vita has failed: it doesn't

Has Failed? when is a game platform that's still selling failed? that's like saying you call the end of a product that is still in production, still on shelves by main retail chains and they are still reordering more product..

A failure is is subjective, i would call a product still selling and being restocked not a failure, while you on the other have another idea what a failure for this product is. 

I AM BOLO

ps: