By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA’s “Unprecedented Partnership” with Nintendo and Other Fairy Tales...

Dr.JimmyRustles said:
off topic does anyone who the next CEO of EA is? I'm assuming it that freak Peter moore.

Pachter thinks that most probable candidate is Don Mattrick, and after listening to his arguments, it does makes lot of sense.

Around the Network

Nice Ricard, I think you touched the most important things there. Good job. EA already lost my sale a long time ago though, this just proves their lying isn't stopping anytime soon.

echoesfromthepast said:
I'm not buying anything from EA anymore. I, as a consumer, have nothing else to say on the subject.

This. Nuff said

In Gods we trust. Dattebayo...

WiiU ID:         Aias23

Xbox360/XboxOne ID:  Aias23

3DS FC:         3737 9509 2938

Viper1 said:
Excellent article, Ricard,

To further raise ire with the technical director and the Frostbite 3 engine, their issue seems to stem from the clock rate the Wii U's CPU. Similar to how the Dynasty Warriors developer had a problem with the CPU clock.

What makes me wonder is how they plan to port the Frostbite 3 engine over to the PS4 and Next X given that they too have lower clock speeds than the current HD consoles (both rated at 3.2 Ghz)?

Clock speed has been THE main issue for any developer that has complained about the Wii U's CPU or performance or power, etc... Yet that same clock speed issue is staring them in the face for ALL next generation consoles.

They can easily come up with reasons/excuses; X86 architecture, more cores/threads available, the extra 500(?)MHz making all the difference etc.

superchunk said:
Great article that sums it all up. Too many people are believing this fiction that it has anything to do with sales, when it clearly started BEFORE Wii U even launched and is a more personal issue about some fallout in negotiations.

At first the only game I thought I would be affected by was BF4, but now I will likely have to miss out on some good SW games too.

Doesn't matter tho. No more EA games for me until they change.

EA, which has its origins as a computer game company, doesn't want to bother with anything that isn't in line with that of the PC game platform at this point.   Could be that Nintendo doesn't throw anything else into the mix to make them reconsider, like using Origins.  End result is that they decide to noth bother.

Around the Network

Concerning Fifa, don't EA have a deal with Fifa where they have to release on every feasible platform?

Osc89 said:
Well if this is what happened, Nintendo really messed up. Why would they go far enough down this Origin road to make EA start planning around it, then just pull out? it's like the whole SNES-CD thing over again; why can't they get on with anybody?

i think the most probable scenerio is EA demanding this origin thing AFTER those partnership announcements, then nintendo refused.

snes-cd is another story.

Scoobes said:
Concerning Fifa, don't EA have a deal with Fifa where they have to release on every feasible platform?

Same deal exists with Madden, Star Wars (now), and I believe a few other sports titles like Tiger.

However, every contract has loopholes and / or exclusions. Madden 25 is not coming to Nintendo consoles, so clearly there is a Nintendo clause.

Zero999 said:
Osc89 said:
Well if this is what happened, Nintendo really messed up. Why would they go far enough down this Origin road to make EA start planning around it, then just pull out? it's like the whole SNES-CD thing over again; why can't they get on with anybody?

i think the most probable scenerio is EA demanding this origin thing AFTER those partnership announcements, then nintendo refused.

snes-cd is another story.

It seems odd that a company like EA would think there was a good chance of Origin going on the Wii U without any indication from Nintendo. Still I'm glad Nintendo made the right choice in the end, I just wish they had kept their distance so as not to cause these problems in the first place. I mean EA doesn't have this awful reputation for no reason.

Also Nintendo has been alienating other companies for a while now, they should be sucking up to everyone not burning bridges. I know they don't rely on third parties to the same extent as the other consoles, but why not work at improving relations so their customers have the best possible experience.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Viper1 said:
Excellent article, Ricard,

To further raise ire with the technical director and the Frostbite 3 engine, their issue seems to stem from the clock rate the Wii U's CPU. Similar to how the Dynasty Warriors developer had a problem with the CPU clock.

What makes me wonder is how they plan to port the Frostbite 3 engine over to the PS4 and Next X given that they too have lower clock speeds than the current HD consoles (both rated at 3.2 Ghz)?

Clock speed has been THE main issue for any developer that has complained about the Wii U's CPU or performance or power, etc... Yet that same clock speed issue is staring them in the face for ALL next generation consoles.

The guy who unveiled the Wii U's CPU speed stated that it should "win big on IPC (Instructions Per Cycle) for most code" compared to the PS3/360 CPUs, and Criterion stated that "while it is a lower clock speed, it punches above it's weight in a lot of other areas," and that comparing it to Cell/Xenon (PS3/360's CPUs) based on clockspeed was "apples to oranges."

Espresso may be slower clocked, and have less hardware threads, but it has advantages of its own; a shorter pipeline which means less processing time is lost if it makes a mistake, an audio DSP to handle sound so the CPU doesn't have to, (apparently sound can take up a whole core on Xenon) a GPGPU to further take the strain off Espresso, out-of-order execution compared to Xenon/Cell's in-order execution, and three times as much L2 cache as Xenon.

It's not as weak as it's made out to be.