By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you smarter than an American?

Tagged games:

Porcupine_I said:
13 out of 13

although i admit i had to look up what "Stickstoff" means in english because i wasn't sure

what is this "stickstoff" people keep referring to

I dont' recall seeing that word at all in the quiz.  Or at least it wasn't in the question or the correct answer ever.

Around the Network

I got 10/13. This test has very little to do with actual intelligence and more to do with scientific knowledge. It would have been fairly easy to have a look at google and report 13/13 here. Not saying anyone did this though... :/

irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
13 out of 13

although i admit i had to look up what "Stickstoff" means in english because i wasn't sure

I dont' recall seeing that word at all in the quiz.  Or at least it wasn't in the question or the correct answer ever.

It's the German word for Nitrogen as i know now. Because i knew what gas makes up most of the athmosphere, but i didn't know what it was called in english.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
13 out of 13

it's german for nitrogen and some of our german speaking users seem to not be familiar with the english term for that element/molecule, although in the periodic table it has the letter N, so that could have been a hint

Lafiel said:
irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
13 out of 13

it's german for nitrogen and some of our german speaking users seem to not be familiar with the english term for that element/molecule, although in the periodic table it has the letter N, so that could have been a hint

hmm weird.  Would have thought every language said the elements on the periodic table the same.

Around the Network

13/13 and I'm an American

Barozi said:
got everything right.

thankfully saw a documentation about fracking last week or so or I wouldn't have been able to answer it. It's really uncommon in Europe.

i thought it's pretty well known in germany since it's all the freaking time on tv for a few years now. not because we have it here so much but because it's an endless discussion if it's really that good or if we shouldn't do it because of some risks

irstupid said:

hmm weird.  Would have thought every language said the elements on the periodic table the same.

not at all .. even english and latin divert in places (gold = Au = aurum, silver = Ag = argentum)

Barozi said:
Kantor said:
Barozi said:
got everything right.

thankfully saw a documentation about fracking last week or so or I wouldn't have been able to answer it. It's really uncommon in Europe.

It's huge in the UK. It's just uncommon in Germany because your government refuses to accept the usefulness of anything that isn't renewable, as we can see from their ridiculous stance on nuclear power.

From what I've seen it contaminates the ground water, by letting the gases escape into it.
http://youtu.be/Yd8pr6uFA_Y?t=5m19s

What's supposed to be good about that ?

When not properly regulated or carried out safely, it can contaminate groundwater.

On the other hand, natural gas is considerably cleaner than coal and crude oil.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Heavenly_King said:
antfromtashkent said:
Which gas makes up most of the Earth's atmosphere?

You answered "Oxygen"

The correct answer is "Nitrogen"

:((((

12 of 13 though

oxygen is only %21

What do you expect from an American that did not go to college? :P