By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unpopular opinions you hold about games

Here are a few:

Skyrim is actually a great game with a lot of really nice design choices and one of the most impressive worlds ever built - Unpopular opinion because as soon as the hype went out of control, the anti-hype movement started, hence everyone loving Skyrim on any forum I've read had turned against it in a matter of days.

Call of Duty games have extremely fun campaigns which, although not very challenging, are some of the best SP experiences FPS shooters offer this gen. Candy for the brain.

JRPGs are aesthetically boring with gameplay that seems to have gotten more and more limited as the years went by. I gave up on them in the PS2 era and, as much as I may want to, there's nothing that's calling me back to the genre. Final Fantasy IX remains the apex.

I think Demons' Souls was better than Dark Souls in many regards, even somewhat more challenging. It had a more interesting world, more interesting backstory and there is absolutely nothing in Dark Souls that can rival the Valley of Defilement or Maiden Astrea as pure storytelling at its absolute best.

Heavenly Sword should have gotten way more recognition than it ever did.

Unreal Tournament is a lot more entertaining than it's direct competitor, Quake 3 Arena. Sorry Quake-heads, that's been it for me ever since 1999 when I tasted the first demo. Still the most fun to be had with a sci-fi MP shooter. Neither 2004 nor UT 3 even came close to touching the oldie.

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is the single greatest crime ever committed against a video-game. It should have garnered way more respect for its control scheme, for its story, for its gameplay and even its graphics at the time. Sad that it never got the acclaim it would have deserved.,

Around the Network

I think Zelda II is one of the best games in the series.

I think when 3D started, zelda went downhill fast.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

EA and Activision make much better games than Nintendo.

Kresnik said:
Player2 said:

Well, FF X gives you the chance of backtracking to the beginning of the game to collect all those orbs after defeating a certain boss. You didn't enjoy that part too? :P

Well, Final Fantasy XIII "opens up" in the final quarter (Gran Pulse), but that doesn't change the fact that 75% of the game is a corridor fest.  Just like FFX was, but I often see people regard X as the "last great Final Fantasy" - which in my opinion, was IX..

This, except that Final Fantasy 10-2 is the last great Final Fantasy.  The gameplay is more than good enough to save this game from the crappy story, and the game is open world from the very b eginning.  The quest system works okay enough even if the game seems disjointed because of it.  However, I am still going to give Final Fantasy 12 another chance.  I played 10 hours of it and quit.  I liked everything about the game except for the battle system and  lack of easily being able to control your party, but with playing through Dragon Age Origins and it bassically having the same type of combat, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be bothered by just setting up gambits and letting the characters do their own thing most of the time.

The problem with Final Fantasy 10 though is that it's just point A to B from beginning to end.  You walk along literally one straight path and only divege at very rare moments, then when you get into combat, the battle system is nothing more than viewing the battlefield, seeing that the enemy is a bird, magic enemy, and a shell e nemy, so your first turn is switch characters to Wakka, one hit kill, switch to Lulu, one hit kill, and switch to any armor piercing character which at first is Auron for a one hit kill and repeat until the end of the game. 

Final Fantasy 10 was Squaresoft's way of making the game so obvious on what you had to do that it's practically playing itself, the same as Final Fantasy 13 with point A to B and how the game "recommends" auto battle.

That being said.  Final Fantasy 10 is still much better than most JRPGs released this gen.  Most RPGs this gen suck, especially those crappy Compile Heart games. 

EA is easily one of the best developers this gen.

arcane_chaos said:
Castlevania: Lords of shadows is one of the best games of the 7th gen and ridiculously unerratted
Skyrim is ridiculously overrated
Vita is the greatest handheld yet
JRPG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WRPG
XBL fee is absolutely ridiculous
Killzone 2= Best FPS this gen
NISA are the best devs around(when is comes to localization...Xseed deserves a mention)
Gamestop doesn't deserve all the hate it gets

Agree with Lords of Shadow.  As a Castlevania fan my first impression before playing the game was that it sucked, but obviously I was wrong, because after playing it I kept playing it until I platinumed the game.  Amazing game and you have to take the game for what it is.  "A completely different series."  It says Castlevania game, but it's not Castlevania, it's Lords of Shadow, which they added Castlevania onto the title to boost interest.  Now that they've started making it into Castlevania games with Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2, I don't see a propblem with it because every game is still labeled Castlevania Lords of Shadow,.  Still two completely different series.  It's not like the last few Castlevania games were any good.  The Wii fighter, Harmony of Despair, and even Order of Ecclesia and Portait of Ruin(although they were "okay.")  It's like the series went down hill starting with Curse of Darkness, which works since Dawn of Sorrow was really good and came out a month before.

I disagree with the JRPG > WRPG unless you mean "overall."  While the handheld consoles have fared much b etter this gen, most console JRPGs this gen have been garbage.

Most of the WRPGs games are PC exclusive, but overall there's games like Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Guild Wars(2005,) Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter Nights(2005,) Neverwinter Nights 2, Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, Legend of Grimrock, Cthulu Saves the World, Breath of Death VII, the Penny Arcade titles, and many many others.  As crappy as the Penny Arcade titles are, they're better than most of the JRPGs released on consoles, that's for sure.

I'd like for the JRPG genre to make a comeback and it seems that it's doing so on portables only, which is atleast better than nothing.

kupomogli said:
Kresnik said:
Player2 said:

Well, FF X gives you the chance of backtracking to the beginning of the game to collect all those orbs after defeating a certain boss. You didn't enjoy that part too? :P

Well, Final Fantasy XIII "opens up" in the final quarter (Gran Pulse), but that doesn't change the fact that 75% of the game is a corridor fest.  Just like FFX was, but I often see people regard X as the "last great Final Fantasy" - which in my opinion, was IX..

(...)

The problem with Final Fantasy 10 though is that it's just point A to B from beginning to end.  You walk along literally one straight path and only divege at very rare moments, then when you get into combat, the battle system is nothing more than viewing the battlefield, seeing that the enemy is a bird, magic enemy, and a shell e nemy, so your first turn is switch characters to Wakka, one hit kill, switch to Lulu, one hit kill, and switch to any armor piercing character which at first is Auron for a one hit kill and repeat until the end of the game. 

Final Fantasy 10 was Squaresoft's way of making the game so obvious on what you had to do that it's practically playing itself, the same as Final Fantasy 13 with point A to B and how the game "recommends" auto battle.

That being said.  Final Fantasy 10 is still much better than most JRPGs released this gen.  Most RPGs this gen suck, especially those crappy Compile Heart games. 

(...)

Somebody else noticed it!

Around the Network

I like the blue shell in MarioKart!

Thought of another one:

Brawl's online multiplayer is fucking awesome (you just need to know where to look for players)

Signature goes here!

Chris Hu said:
brendude13 said:

Thirded.

I have trouble sleeping at night thinking about all the Sega exclusives I never got to play on the Xbox.

Since the original X-Box had zero JRPG's this is totally untrue not only has the 360 a better lineup of physical exclusives it has tons of better XBL exclusives.  It doesn't lack Sega exclusives neither since it has tons of them on XBL including the best version of Jet Set Radio with more achievements and avatar rewards.

I don't think you can really quantify which set of exclusives is better for a particular person.

IIRC, SEGA made Jet Set Radio (ironically); Otogi; Panzer Dragoon; SEGA GT; Shenmue; Spikeout and Toejam & Earl exclusive to the original Xbox after the Dreamcast went tits up.

What have they made that was exclusive to the 360?  Genuine question.  Only games I can remember are the original Full Auto and Sonic Free Riders.

Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2 are better than Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VI.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I don't like any Super Smash Bros game I've played, I just don't get it.

I like random battles in FF.

I hate the fact sequals to FF7 exist, it means everyone survived 'Holy'.

Hmm, pie.