By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bye-bye Xbox Live Gold

MB1025 said:
Wright said:
WagnerPaiva said:
Stinky said:
The discounts more than offset the price of gold, which is trivial.

Psn Plus has gigantic discounts, like, DEUS EX for 9 dollars and stuff like that. 

Xbox Live has gigantic discounts, and some of them don't even need Gold.

You can also play those games you bought on the discount even if you stop paying for gold.

You only lose the games you got as part of the subscription cost. In other words, the free titles. If you buy a game, with or without PS Plus discounts, you keep them.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

If xbox owners enjoy Live and think that it's worth it then that's all that matters. I would have probably stayed active on xbox if I had many friends there. I was lucky that most of my friends had Playstations. :p

I'm confused these blogs aren't seen as trolling.

Clearly they're just posted on this forum annoy Xbox Live Gold subscribers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I hate it when people use the word "free" when applying it to something that is clearly being paid for whether directly or indirectly (I'm looking at you national healthcare). In the case of Playstation Plus, you are not given "free" games to download as you are still paying for the Plus membership which is required to download the games in the first place. Also, I believe you can not play those "free" games if you do not continue to pay for your Plus membership.

Essentially, you are paying for a game rental plan where you don't get to choose the games. What value does that service have to me if I don't care for the games being offered? The example of Hitman:Absolution, a mediocre and watered down entry in the series, and Catherine, a frustrating mess of an anime with a block puzzle game tacked on to it, don't appeal to me in the slightest.

Xbox Gold and Plus both offer discounts so that equals out. I have never heard of anyone using the cloud storage on either system before so moving on... the full game trials are kind of nice... However, most games get demos though which amount to maybe a half hour to hour of gameplay so that is all that is really needed to get a feel for a game.

Let's not forget that Live does offer cross game chat which not even Plus can give to PSN users. Don't tell me it is not a useful feature ... why would Sony bother putting it on the Vita while also offering it on the PS4 (I think that was confirmed) if it is so useless?

My honest opinion is that both services are very unecessary. In fact, I would love to live in a world where Xbox Live Gold and Playstation Plus were not trying to nickle and dime me at every turn (I never had this annoyance back on PC with the exception of MMOs ... which have all moved to F2P at this point). In terms of practicality, however, Xbox Live Gold is a required service that virtually every Xbox owner should have while Plus is an entirely optional (and really not worth it at the end of the day) service that only a select few gamers should be interested in (if you are willing to play whatever games Sony decides to toss to you each month).

I hope that both Microsoft and Sony get their acts together next gen. If they have to nickle and dime us then at least give us something vaguely useful for our trouble.

Euphoria14 said:
MB1025 said:
Wright said:
WagnerPaiva said:
Stinky said:
The discounts more than offset the price of gold, which is trivial.

Psn Plus has gigantic discounts, like, DEUS EX for 9 dollars and stuff like that. 

Xbox Live has gigantic discounts, and some of them don't even need Gold.

You can also play those games you bought on the discount even if you stop paying for gold.

You only lose the games you got as part of the subscription cost. In other words, the free titles. If you buy a game, with or without PS Plus discounts, you keep them.

I don't think we share the same meaning for the word "free" then.

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:

And given that Halo-Gears-Forza have been the only real exclusives MS has been churning out as of late,

What a shame. Then I suppose I won't meet you during a free-for-all game in Battleblock Theater.

DarthVolod said:

I hate it when people use the word "free" when applying it to something that is clearly being paid for whether directly or indirectly (I'm looking at you national healthcare). In the case of Playstation Plus, you are not given "free" games to download as you are still paying for the Plus membership which is required to download the games in the first place. Also, I believe you can not play those "free" games if you do not continue to pay for your Plus membership.

Essentially, you are paying for a game rental plan where you don't get to choose the games. What value does that service have to me if I don't care for the games being offered? The example of Hitman:Absolution, a mediocre and watered down entry in the series, and Catherine, a frustrating mess of an anime with a block puzzle game tacked on to it, don't appeal to me in the slightest.

Xbox Gold and Plus both offer discounts so that equals out. I have never heard of anyone using the cloud storage on either system before so moving on... the full game trials are kind of nice... However, most games get demos though which amount to maybe a half hour to hour of gameplay so that is all that is really needed to get a feel for a game.

Let's not forget that Live does offer cross game chat which not even Plus can give to PSN users. Don't tell me it is not a useful feature ... why would Sony bother putting it on the Vita while also offering it on the PS4 (I think that was confirmed) if it is so useless?

My honest opinion is that both services are very unecessary. In fact, I would love to live in a world where Xbox Live Gold and Playstation Plus were not trying to nickle and dime me at every turn (I never had this annoyance back on PC with the exception of MMOs ... which have all moved to F2P at this point). In terms of practicality, however, Xbox Live Gold is a required service that virtually every Xbox owner should have while Plus is an entirely optional (and really not worth it at the end of the day) service that only a select few gamers should be interested in (if you are willing to play whatever games Sony decides to toss to you each month).

I hope that both Microsoft and Sony get their acts together next gen. If they have to nickle and dime us then at least give us something vaguely useful for our trouble.

But PS plus is optional why are you so upset about it. Sony are not forcing you to subscribe.

Right now XBOX live is showing the Hockey playoffs for free. But as a Canadian, I don't care about hockey anymore as I did when I was little.

They don't show NBA players for free nor Champions League/EPL/LA LIGA (Soccer/Football). :( C'mon Microsoft FIX THIS!

Anyways, I'm eyeing PS4 a lot. Let's see what happens on May 21st.

Wow. I actually think he tries to dig these up. Soon he'll runout or get a life. Hopefully....

ironmanDX said:
Wow. I actually think he tries to dig these up. Soon he'll runout or get a life. Hopefully....

It was actually on the front page of VGC and also was popular on N4G. 

http://n4g.com/news/1245584/bye-bye-xbox-live-gold

Anyways, don't even bother with these type of threads. You're just "feeding" the troll. Let this thread die people. You don't need to come in here and prove that Xbox Live is worth paying for, just keep paying and move on.