By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bye-bye Xbox Live Gold

the2real4mafol said:
fillet said:
the2real4mafol said:
fillet said:
the2real4mafol said:
Yeah, I agree Microsoft need to offer alot more than what they do now to ask people to pay for Xbox Live. What is the value in this service anyway? Online is free on every other system and does fine, i don't about other games but the Call of Duty series seems to have just as bad connections on Xbox as it does elsewhere (from the livestreams i have seen). Cross game chat is a feature highly spoken off for paying this and yet it will be on the PS4 for free (its already on Vita and Steam for free) and to make matters worse, Microsoft force adverts on to you Xbox gamers, i would understand this if it was free but it's not, it makes no sense. And finally, why do you need a gold account just to access apps like Netflix? it's so stupid! Not like Microsoft subsidies such apps. I don't know but Xbox Live just don't seem to be the price of one game, at least not anymore as rival services have gotten better

You're missing the point entirely.

They obviously don't need to offer much more to offer better value because people are paying for it in the state that it's in now. Why on earth would MS offer anything extra for free? The reason Sony is offering this extra stuff with PS+ is because they have no choice but to offer it as everyone would be up in arms about having to pay for online.

You're looking at it totally the wrong way, it's not about "us", "the gamer". It's about profits and why on earth would MS want to put a dent in those profits like Sony does. With all the royalty payments Sony will be paying publishers to use their content they can't be making much at all with PS+. Look at this from the objective side of things and tell me what you think?

Yeah, but it's just a blantant rip off and people still like to waste their money on it. I know they want money, but most companies remove adverts when you give them money, Microsoft has the check to fill your dashboard with them! I see online as a bog standard feature these days, you pay enough for the console and games as it is, why be greedy and charge for online? If people have some common sense, they won't just go to the next Xbox and pay for Xbox Live, by then the Playstation Network will offer everything Live does but for free and then some in the form of built in livestreaming. Xbox Live has served it's purpose to get Xbox from the huge losses it once had, into profit and now the Xbox console has a loyal fanbase, Microsoft should stop being so tight and invest in some good exclusive developers. And you don't think Microsoft pays a ton of royalities to a select few publishers? They must be paying a fortune to get COD dlc, one month early every year. 

I completely agree with all you have written but that's my point. People DO pay, people are continuing to pay. Yes it's greedy - all companies are greedy but there's nothing unethical taking place here. It's a service and people are paying for it, just because another company creates a rival service that is far better doesn't mean anything when it comes down to it unless unethical practices are taking place.

Even with the COD 1 month timed exclusive that's a business decision, it's all business deicions.

I'm basically saying there's no discussion to be had here because people know exactly what they're getting with Xbox Live Gold and with PS+, people are intelligent enough (at least at VGChartz) to not need an evangelical troll trying to point out the damn obvious! :)

That's referring to somini, not you.

I'm not defending MS by any stretch but I don't really think they need defending, they're just a company with a load of fools paying an over priced (relative to Sony) subscription, what more is there to say? :)

I'm one of those fools lol, well not currently actually has haven't bothered renewing since a few months. I think a thread like this could work with some proper debate with people who maybe have stopped their renewel and maybe asking if people genuinely have say sold their 360 for a PS3 on the basis of the subscription? Generally though what seems to be bltantely obvious here is that people aren't that bothered about paying for it, and the people making a fuss are basically people who don't own and Xbox 360 and just being evangelical and personifying their console and touting PS+ like childish little idiots. Maybe they don't realize they're doing it...

(Again, I'm not referring to you here so don't take that the wrong way, I appreciate you're laying out a genuine opinion, but you're definitely the exception in these types of threads).

Yeah i understand that. I understand people like Xbox, it's a great system (the controller is excellent) but i'm probably in the minority here but it's stuff like Xbox Live Gold and the old RROD plus the lack of appealing exclusives to me (i only really liked the look of Alan Wake) that made me think it was worth saving up the extra £100 for my PS3 when i bought it in 2009. I'm happy with my choice and i'm sure you are happy with yours, that's what should matter to be honest. They all offer the same thing really. But I do look forward to the Xbox (whatever they will call it) event on May 21st, i look forward to see what they will show (maybe the console lol). But i'm sure we will get hit by more flame baiting threads like this that day, it's a shame really we don't need such negativity. 

Hey I like the PS3 too mate, I'm not really an MS or Sony fan.

I'm not defending the gold sub, these it's a bit much to have to pay, but it's is what it is :)

True enough :)

Around the Network
Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:

I don't think we share the same meaning for the word "free" then.

I guess not. I don't recall our discussion on it.

Well, that's...that's a clever answer, sir.

Anyways, I know they aren't "free" since you are paying for the subscription that grants you these titles.

After I posted it I realized I should have put Free in quotation marks, but I couldn't be bothered.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:

Anyways, I know they aren't "free" since you are paying for the subscription that grants you these titles.

After I posted it I realized I should have put Free in quotation marks, but I couldn't be bothered.

So you're a lazy one! I should have known! =P

Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:

Well, not entirely. I responded to you didn't I?

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:

That does not prevent you from being lazy!

Around the Network
Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:

That does not prevent you from being lazy!

You might be be right.

I am on an iPhone and too lazy to get out of bed to go to the PC. Now it's up to you to cut down the quote trees.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:

You might be right.

I know I am! Oh! Perhaps I cut too much? =P

I don't need PS+ "free" games, because most of the time I don't care about them enough even to download them for "free". And even if I did download some game from PS+, I would not be able to play it unless I am paying Sony 5€ per month. I'd much rather have discounts for the games I really want. PS+ is worth less than XBLG for me.