By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If Hitchen's challenge is correct, then why are there ethical lapses?

BenVTrigger said:
Jay520 said:
BenVTrigger said:

This post is not even remotly true.  And can be easily swept away with a simple thought experiment.

Imagine you decide to make a drawing.  You draw a big picture with a couple people in it, a house, some birds etc.  You just created your own "world" and Creatures inside of it.  Now if the figures in the drawing were capable of thought and speech and they looked around the drawing and saw all this creation but did not observe you within the drawing they might say to themselves "Look at this amazing drawing! It must have drawn itself since we cant see an artist!"

You exist OUTSIDE of your creation, not within it.  In fact this is true of everything.  If you paint a picture, if you build a sculpture, or design a video game.  In every case you yourself exist wholly seperate from the creation.  The entire point atheism makes about god cant be real because you cant observe him defies both logic and science.  Whatever created the Universe would never exist inside it.

I will play your game. But just so you know, we aren't talking about atheism in general. Atheism is not about saying the universe created itself. You're talking about subset of atheism.

Anyway, this is easy. Sure, you can call it absurd that something can create itself. Fine, I wouldn't argue with it. BUT religion claims the same thing - God created itself too! At this point the two are on equal ground. You can't say either is more absurd because both make the claim that an entity can create itself.

The thing that makes religion worse is the fact that it assumes an extra entity. The other one does not.

Here, let me map out the assumptions for you.

Theory A:
- The Universe exists
- Something can create itself

Theory B:
- The Universe exists
- God exists
- Something can create itself

Both A & B make some bold assumptions. But which is the bigger assumption*? Hmm.....

*Hint: It's the one that makes more assumptions

No not really.  The Universe obeys by its own laws.  Just like the figures in the drawing do.  No where in the known Universe do we see examples of creation out of wholly nothing.  It has laws.  Just like the figures in the drawing couldnt suddenly become 3 dimensional beings or jump out of the paper.  One law we observe in the universe is matter is pretty much a constant and cant just self create itself.

A God however would exist outside of the Universe and wouldnt have to obey by its laws.  Just like you yourself can be 3 dimensional and capable of things your 2 dimensional drawings could never imagine as being real.  The belief the Universe created itself also hinges on the belief that from chaos naturally things gain order, another non observable trait that defies known science and logic.

Virtual particles (that besides being called virtual are real particles) appear and anihilate in vacuum all the time.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
badgenome said:
BenVTrigger said:

Most Atheism believes the Universe is self replicant.  Something I just cant behind when weve never observed it. we HAVE observed someone creating something however and logically speaking it just seems like a more sound choice.  Again Ill use another thought experiment to illustrate my point.

We haven't, actually. We have observed people taking materials and rearranging them into a house, but we have never witnessed someone creating a house from nothing.

But weve witnessed intelligant design.  Something that seems apparent in all things.

Answer the question.  If you came up to the Mona Lisa or Statue of David which is more logical.  To believe that they created themselves or that a sculpture / painter made them.

If an engineer had designed the human eye, he would have been fired.

Having the nerves in front of the photoreceptor cells is pure idiocy.

I LOVE ICELAND!

BenVTrigger said:
Jay520 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Jay520 said:
BenVTrigger said:

Answer the question.  If you came up to the Mona Lisa or Statue of David which is more logical.  To believe that they created themselves or that a sculpture / painter made them.

Poor argument. You are bringing up human-made objects and asking if they were created. Of course they were created by humans. But for every human-made object, there's infinitely many more natural objects in the universe. And you can't use human-made objects to infer things about nonhuman-made objects.

Sure you can.  The single cell alone pretty much trumps the idea of chance.  You get into the whole realm of irriducibly complex parts and systems that had to coalesce simultaneously but that alone is a novel in itself.

So just because you have proved that some things were created, that means all things were created?

I....I don't know what to say to that.

Of course you dont know what to say.  Your dodging the debate.

Explain to me how the single cell, the basic building block of life, has irriducibly complex parts and systems that had to simultaniously come together happened by chance.

Go ahead.  And this is a single cell were talking about here.  We havent even gotten deep yet were still treading in the shallow water.

Lipid bubbles are very similar to cell membranes in how they work. Combining lipids and RNA, and some basic building blocks, scientists have been able to create rudimentary forms of life.

It's not perfect, but it's bringing us closer to finding out how the early life formed were formed.

My point is, that we've managed to create life that uses much simpler components than the high-end cells that life consists of today.

EDIT: I have to ask out of curiosity. Evey time you show up in one of these threads, you claim to be a non-believer, but you keep arguing for the creationism side. What exactly are your beliefs?

EDIT: @ Richardhutnic

It's a shame that the thread became so off-topic with religions vs non-religion. I assume you want the soloution to what you see as an ethical paradox in Hitchens' challenge?

I think the answer to your question in the OP is that you have misunderstood and convoluted what is a pretty simple statement. Being able to be just as moral as a religious person, plus not being burdened by the more questionable stuff in the doctrine, does not make you a perfect super human, you're still human. And that's pretty much it.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
richardhutnik said:
badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:

In regards to Hitchens, one could argue there is ONE thing that religious people, like say Mormons, are able to do which he seemed to not be able to do, and that is avoid smoking and drinking which shorten one's life.  Hitchen confessed that his smoking and drinking caused him to get cancer:

I am not religious. I don't drink, and I have never smoked. There are religious people who do both. What point are you even trying to make anymore?

Hitchens argues that atheism is morally superior, but fails to shows in practice, particularly his life, that it is so.

It was not immoral for hitchens to smoke and drink as much as he did. You may call it stupid, since he shortened his life, but he didn't hurt anyone but himself. Also, him staying in a marriage that didn't work would be immoral, him getting a divorce was the most moral thing he could do (or his wife, depending on who wanted to separate). In other words, you fail at pointing out immoral acts that he did.

On the moral side though, he did a lot of good for the world during his career as a reporter, so much that it would net him a lot of plus on the morality scale. In other words, your argument double fails.

Anything harmful you don't want to hold accountable as a moral failing you can call "stupid" and end up saying isn't a moral issue.  Same with divorce and failing to find a proper partner.  Or, if his drinking did end up destroying the marriage and saying it doesn't work, then you end up also dodging the issue.

Again, what is seen as "moral" or "immoral" are just dodges.

If you believe your personal conduct has no impact on others, then you have a moral system that is lacking in considering all the ramifications of one's own conduct.  Do you bot think, if Hitchens was THAT morally good and beneficial for others, that him shortening his own life ends up harming others from what they ideally could of experienced?  Or is it that Hitchen's life wasn't significant enough that him shortening it prematurely really doesn't matter to others at all.  Maybe very much you think the later.

richardhutnik said:

I remember seeking Christopher Hitchens bring up a challenge to Christians in a debate:

http://www.religionforums.org/Thread-The-Christopher-Hitchens-Challenge

Name one moral or ethical action or behaviour committed or carried out by a believer that could not have been committed or carried out by an atheist.

So, then the conclusion from this challenge (I am taking the first part) is that an atheist can live a completely moral life without God.  Well, if that is the case, then why are there ethical lapses?  If it is simple for man in and of himself to end up doing what is right, then why do people have ethical lapses?  And, I would have to ask then here: Does anyone know anyone personally, or themself, who could end up saying honestly that they never had any moral lapses?  In short, how many sinless people do you know of?

If Hitchen's challenge is that simple to do, then why does it seem to fail so much?

The second half has to do with doing evil in the name of God.

The simple answer to the first half is that it is basically no easier or harder for an athiest to be as moral as a believer. 

The complex answer is that to err is to be human. Ethical lapses happen, regardless of faith or lack of it. The issue arises that there are certain religious beliefs that actually fly in the face of ethics. Ambiguous religious texts that seem to encourage behavior that common sense says is unethical. In the fact of that, it can be easier for an athiest not to commit those specific unethical acts. Otherwise, again, a theist is no more moral than an athiest.

This is also an answer to the second half.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
Kasz216 said:

Do you have university research journal access?   If so i suppose i can dig through it to find that particular article again.  Otherwise you are just going to be stuck behind a paywall anyway.

It's mostly all very bland consumer research for nonprofit organizations... that's been consistant... for pretty much forever.

To Paraphrase one of the most recent cases of research...

They gave people 10 dollars.  Then either showed them a short video about nonsense, or a short video about starving kids in africa....

Then were told they give some of the money they had just received to charity to feed starving kids in africa.

In both cases religious people I want to say gave ~3.5 dollars.   While Atheists when shown the nonsense video gave ~.60 cents..  while when shown the video gave ~4 dollars.  (Numbers could be off, but the proportions are about the same.)

General conclusion being that people without a religious backing more often need to be hit with a sudden urge of intense compassion, while more religious people seem to give regardless, be it out of duty, having the thoughts of the unfortunate more on their minds, or just more "we're all in this together" cohesiveness.

"In a second experiment, 101 adults were shown either a neutral video or an emotional video about children in poverty. They were then given 10 fake dollars and told they could give as much as they liked to a stranger. Those who were less religious gave more when they saw the emotional video first."

Terrible study.

- Sample Size

- Fake dollars

Either way, study as-is shows that Atheists are governed by compassion as opposed to a mechanical response to charitable donations. 

A) That's a perfectly fine sample size.  It's lab work.  You won't find much bigger sample sizes for that kind of thing.  It's not a freakin survey.

B) They weren't fake dollars.  That's just a misreporting of the study.

C) It's consistant with all other research.

D) Not really... that's the way the researcher decided to interpret it... being an ahteist herself who admitted to be specifically looking for that result.

Let me ask you a question though...

Do you think those people just didn't know how much it sucked to be a starving child in Africa?  Seems unlikely right?  Everybody has seen those videos before... everybody knows what a starving child in africa is like.  Everyone knows what starving is.

So why no compassion for the starving children when not shown the video?  Why only after being shown a video reminding them just how horrible it is over there?

Seems less like motivated by compassion and more motivated by guilt to me.  Or a breaking through of a deadening to others problems.  Where only by it being shown can people ackowledge just what's going on.

E) Your arguement in D was pushing the goalposts anyway.  Since like I said... atehists more often need to be prodded to give to charity.  As was shown. 

kanageddaamen said:
dsgrue3 said:
Kasz216 said:

Do you have university research journal access?   If so i suppose i can dig through it to find that particular article again.  Otherwise you are just going to be stuck behind a paywall anyway.

It's mostly all very bland consumer research for nonprofit organizations... that's been consistant... for pretty much forever.

To Paraphrase one of the most recent cases of research...

They gave people 10 dollars.  Then either showed them a short video about nonsense, or a short video about starving kids in africa....

Then were told they give some of the money they had just received to charity to feed starving kids in africa.

In both cases religious people I want to say gave ~3.5 dollars.   While Atheists when shown the nonsense video gave ~.60 cents..  while when shown the video gave ~4 dollars.  (Numbers could be off, but the proportions are about the same.)

General conclusion being that people without a religious backing more often need to be hit with a sudden urge of intense compassion, while more religious people seem to give regardless, be it out of duty, having the thoughts of the unfortunate more on their minds, or just more "we're all in this together" cohesiveness.

"In a second experiment, 101 adults were shown either a neutral video or an emotional video about children in poverty. They were then given 10 fake dollars and told they could give as much as they liked to a stranger. Those who were less religious gave more when they saw the emotional video first."

Terrible study.

- Sample Size

- Fake dollars

Either way, study as-is shows that Atheists are governed by compassion as opposed to a mechanical response to charitable donations. 

There are also a few studies I have seen that include giving money to your church as charity, which it is not

and in those studies, they ALSO ran the numbers not counting church contributions... and the same patern persisted. 

It also persisted for blood donations, giving of time to causes... etc.

It's really remarkably non-controversial and really pretty much common sense regardless, since religions generally require acts of charity therefore the more religious you are, the more you will do charity even if you yourself aren't a default generous person.

Though in general it does seem the correlation extends beyond that.  I imagine largely having to do with Haidt's Moral Foundations Theory and most atheists ending up on the specific "Liberal" branch.

Kasz216 said:

and in those studies, they ALSO ran the numbers not counting church contributions... and the same patern persisted. 

It's really remarkably non-controversial and really pretty much common sense regardless, since religions generally require acts of charity therefore the more religious you are, the more you will do charity even if you yourself aren't a default generous person.

Though in general it does seem the correlation extends beyond that.  I imagine largely having to do with Haidt's Moral Foundations Theory and most atheists ending up on the specific "Liberal" branch.

Yeah I'm surprised people are fighting this one so much.  I guess maybe if you did this study for churches that don't ask for or mandate a tithe I would be more surprised, but the idea that people you condition to give 10% of their earnings to what you call "charity" every week are more likely to give to charity without needing to be prodded is pretty expected.  I'm a tad surprised that after prodding the non-believers gave a higher percentage than the believers but I wouldn't be surprised if that difference is small enough to be within error for a study like this.  

Torillian said:
Kasz216 said:

Yeah I'm surprised people are fighting this one so much.  I guess maybe if you did this study for churches that don't ask for or mandate a tithe I would be more surprised, but the idea that people you condition to give 10% of their earnings to what you call "charity" every week are more likely to give to charity without needing to be prodded is pretty expected.  I'm a tad surprised that after prodding the non-believers gave a higher percentage than the believers but I wouldn't be surprised if that difference is small enough to be within error for a study like this.  

It doesn't surprise me.

I mean think about it.  If your whole religion says you have to do rank to charity because people are poor... it's always in your mind, your always giving periodically.

Sure they show you a picture of poor starving children, and it tugs at the heart strings, but you already give regularly so you go with the conditioned response of giving... what you would of anyway.  You are just doing your part again.

Meanwhile if your in a sitaution where you aren't giving, except when prodded to by seeing this stuff first hand you might think about how horrible it is AND how you haven't been helping or haven't did it in a while.

Hence a need to "make up for it" or just in general be less desensitized to giving since you aren't just always doing.

It'd be interseting to see how patterns of giving would be effected if done weekly over the course of a year or so.

Would seeing the video week after week lose it's effect lowering the money given?  Or would it keep reinforcing the belief?  I'd guess it'd fall... but only to about the same baseline as the religious.

In otherwords, being religious doesn't make you a better person... just "keeps you honest".

Like if you had two people who both wanted to eat healthy... and one of them was friends with some health nut who always talked about how eating healthy was great and gave you great recipies.

While the other guy had a friend that says "Do whatever you want, and stick to your guns."

Same exact guy... chances are the heatlhy friend guy does better on his diet.

richardhutnik said:
KungKras said:
richardhutnik said:
badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:

In regards to Hitchens, one could argue there is ONE thing that religious people, like say Mormons, are able to do which he seemed to not be able to do, and that is avoid smoking and drinking which shorten one's life.  Hitchen confessed that his smoking and drinking caused him to get cancer:

I am not religious. I don't drink, and I have never smoked. There are religious people who do both. What point are you even trying to make anymore?

Hitchens argues that atheism is morally superior, but fails to shows in practice, particularly his life, that it is so.

It was not immoral for hitchens to smoke and drink as much as he did. You may call it stupid, since he shortened his life, but he didn't hurt anyone but himself. Also, him staying in a marriage that didn't work would be immoral, him getting a divorce was the most moral thing he could do (or his wife, depending on who wanted to separate). In other words, you fail at pointing out immoral acts that he did.

On the moral side though, he did a lot of good for the world during his career as a reporter, so much that it would net him a lot of plus on the morality scale. In other words, your argument double fails.

Anything harmful you don't want to hold accountable as a moral failing you can call "stupid" and end up saying isn't a moral issue.  Same with divorce and failing to find a proper partner.  Or, if his drinking did end up destroying the marriage and saying it doesn't work, then you end up also dodging the issue.

Again, what is seen as "moral" or "immoral" are just dodges.

If you believe your personal conduct has no impact on others, then you have a moral system that is lacking in considering all the ramifications of one's own conduct.  Do you bot think, if Hitchens was THAT morally good and beneficial for others, that him shortening his own life ends up harming others from what they ideally could of experienced?  Or is it that Hitchen's life wasn't significant enough that him shortening it prematurely really doesn't matter to others at all.  Maybe very much you think the later.

Hitchens shortening his life did of course affect others. However, so did his reporting career. I am responding to this statement of yours:

"Hitchens argues that atheism is morally superior, but fails to shows in practice, particularly his life, that it is so."

Are you implying that he has to live his life like some kind of ascetic monk to prove that not having a belief is moral? This goes both ways. The catholic church claims catholisism is morally superior but fails to show so in their actions when they fight birth control and cover up child molestation. Protetstants claim protestantism is morally superior when protestant armies impale babies during the thirty years war.

This is all further complicated by the fact that morals are subjective to some degree. I have no moral objections to marriages ending in devorce, they could still produce something positive for the people involved, such as life experience, children, etc.

I LOVE ICELAND!