By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Madden a NO GO for Wii U this year. EA reaffirms it still has a "Strong Partnership" with Nintendo.

superchunk said:
Arcturus said:
Not sure why this comes as a shock to people. The previous version sold only 30,000 copies. At the moment, it's just not worth EA's time and resources to develop and release the next version on the Wii U.

30k on a rushed port that didn't even include the latest technology they put into Madden. (i.e a port of the previous years game)

Let's low ball it and say EA makes $25 per game sold, as it did retail for $60.

That's $750,000 on a crappy late port. I'm sure they made money on it.

There is no way they expected much more considering it was a crappy port that was advetised to be missing key upgrades. I mean not only was it luanched months after it came out on PS360, but it was basically the previous years game which means it was really over a year late.

...and lets back out all the important stuff you conveniently left out, such as the cost of maintaining servers so people can play online, the huge licensing and royality fees that have to be paid to the NFL

Around the Network
superchunk said:
There was a time EA ignored Nintendo back in NES/SNES days... meh Nintendo will be fine. EA will come around in 2014 after Wii U is well over 10m sold and rest of next-gen is less than 1/2 that.

Im sure in 2014 the combined total of the PS4 and next xbox will be that or greater than the Wii U, plus they still have the PS360 to fall back on...nice try though

Billjw said:
burninmylight said:
Billjw said:
I'm pretty sure madden skipped the 64 a few times

Madden hasn't skipped Nintendo since the SNES's early years.

OT: More and more evidence that our suspicions of the fallout between Nintendo and EA are true. I was wondering if EA's CEO stepping down a couple of months ago might mean they'd take steps toward repairing that partnership, but I guess not.

Madden 64 came out a year after the 64 released and it didn't even have the NFL license.  So in fall of '96 there was no release of madden for nintendo

Thanks for the correction!

I find this thread both shocking and outrageous.

People still care about Madden?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

So we pulling the old, HD Twins > Wii is all that matters? Ok.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
superchunk said:
There was a time EA ignored Nintendo back in NES/SNES days... meh Nintendo will be fine. EA will come around in 2014 after Wii U is well over 10m sold and rest of next-gen is less than 1/2 that.

Im sure in 2014 the combined total of the PS4 and next xbox will be that or greater than the Wii U, plus they still have the PS360 to fall back on...nice try though

he thinks nintendo is going to sell over 7 mil wii u in the next 8 months. as of right now they are in line tosell another 500k in the next 4 months. i think its impossible to reach ten mil. i think nintendo is scaling back production and retailers will be conservative with their orders. superchunk is banking on big games to launch the wii u. that might happen but if it does i can see nintendo running into shortages and not keeping up with demand instead of massive sale (which needs to be the case to reach 10mil). 

@famousringo

I could care less about Madden.

I was more flabbergasted at EA's comment. PR Bullshit or not.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

In my view this says nothing about Nintendo and says much more about EA. EA is in the toilet right now. Their earnings are tanking, they've laid off 10% of their workforce, their CEO resigned so he wasn't fired and the only news they've made lately is in regard to their terrible execution and decisions regarding The Sims.

This news shows they can't even execute as they have in the past on one of their core franchises. The concern is with EA, not with Nintendo. The title of the thread should be EA is so broke they can't even afford to port their tired engine and roster updates to a new platform.

superchunk said:

30k on a rushed port that didn't even include the latest technology they put into Madden. (i.e a port of the previous years game)

Let's low ball it and say EA makes $25 per game sold, as it did retail for $60.

That's $750,000 on a crappy late port. I'm sure they made money on it.

There is no way they expected much more considering it was a crappy port that was advetised to be missing key upgrades. I mean not only was it luanched months after it came out on PS360, but it was basically the previous years game which means it was really over a year late.

The crappy ports that were missing features and released months late on 360 and PS3 sold 15x and 11x more than the Wii U version in the same time frame.  Even the Wii version was 10x more.  I don't see why they wouldn't have expected more.  I don't know if there were any prediction threads for Madden prior to the Wii U's release, but I really doubt the consensus would have been anywhere near 30k.

I can't say for certain whether they made money on it, but I would say the fact there won't be one this year suggests they don't feel that it is a good investment.  I mean Madden didn't do so hot on the Wii to begin with, so when you have a platform that won't sell anywhere near as much AND has a much worse attach rate for Madden, why should EA continue with it?  Actually if it was just about eking out a meager profit, then it would make more sense to keep a Wii version for this year.

Max King of the Wild said:
Train wreck said:
superchunk said:

he thinks nintendo is going to sell over 7 mil wii u in the next 8 months. as of right now they are in line tosell another 500k in the next 4 months. i think its impossible to reach ten mil. i think nintendo is scaling back production and retailers will be conservative with their orders. superchunk is banking on big games to launch the wii u. that might happen but if it does i can see nintendo running into shortages and not keeping up with demand instead of massive sale (which needs to be the case to reach 10mil). 

He also think there was a time when EA ignored Nintendo when you have games like desert strike which was arguably one of the top games to be released on the SNES