By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Madden a NO GO for Wii U this year. EA reaffirms it still has a "Strong Partnership" with Nintendo.

Yakuzaice said:
Conegamer said:
This thread is already making my head hurt. You can't write off the Wii U yet, because as we saw with the 3DS, Nintendo can allow it to bounce back. And it's not the same time as the N64 and GCN days now, everyone knows Mario and the such like. They sell by the bucketload regardless of what system they're on.

But this isn't what the thread was about. So all I'll say on that regard is it would just be better for EA to be honest with Nintendo really, but when the next-gen versions of Madden, FIFA etc. sell around 200-300k maximum, what will they say then?

Why exactly do you think the next gen Madden and FIFA will max out at 200-300k when the first Madden on the PS3 and 360 did over a million combined?

Even on the Vita it has done over 250k.  I'm not sure how much of that is from the bundle, but if it is less than 150k, then you are basically saying one version of next gen Madden might sell worse than the Vita version.  Fifa even did 620k on the Vita across the two releases last year.

I expect a similar announcement about FIFA sometime soon considering the Wii U is doing even worse in Europe.  When their games can't even hit 100k, and no other third party is seeing success on the platform, why would they continue supporting it?

third parties who put in effort do decently well.

So i guess that precludes EA anyway.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
KHlover said:
Otakumegane said:
I guess Nintendo really is banking on a Western AAA crash in the next years.

So are we going to get Mario football now?

That Mario football game for the Gamecube (Super Mario Strikers, I think) is the best football game I've played in the last decade, so I'm sure they would also come up with a great version of Handegg.

Nintendo won't do an american football game because it only has 1 market, the US, while regular football games sell everywhere.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

somewhat disappointing as I enjoy Madden games. At the same time I would be pissed of if it was a rebranded older version, like the current release.

echoesfromthepast said:

Why does EA hate Nintendo so much? WHY?
Is it seriously because they refused to put Origin on Wii U? Because that's ridiculous!

Its not. Nintendo and EA have never gotten along well historically. Even since the NES days, EA has always tried to find a way around supporting a Nintendo console. 

Mr Khan said:

third parties who put in effort do decently well.

So i guess that precludes EA anyway.

That didn't exactly help Need For Speed sales.  If I recall correctly the Vita version did more in the March NPD than the Wii U release.  I'm not sure if I'd say any third party release has done all that well so far.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Billjw said:
I'm pretty sure madden skipped the 64 a few times

Madden hasn't skipped Nintendo since the SNES's early years.

OT: More and more evidence that our suspicions of the fallout between Nintendo and EA are true. I was wondering if EA's CEO stepping down a couple of months ago might mean they'd take steps toward repairing that partnership, but I guess not.

Madden 64 came out a year after the 64 released and it didn't even have the NFL license.  So in fall of '96 there was no release of madden for nintendo

Not sure why this comes as a shock to people. The previous version sold only 30,000 copies. At the moment, it's just not worth EA's time and resources to develop and release the next version on the Wii U.

There was a time EA ignored Nintendo back in NES/SNES days... meh Nintendo will be fine. EA will come around in 2014 after Wii U is well over 10m sold and rest of next-gen is less than 1/2 that.

pezus said:
Yeah let's drop the Vita >_>.

What about FIFA? That is a more important franchise by far

I guess it depends on which side of the pond you live on.  Madden in the states is a big deal.  The MLS barely gets any coverage; the English premier league gets more coverage on ESPN than the MLS.  Also, the best of the American players end up going abroad.

Arcturus said:
Not sure why this comes as a shock to people. The previous version sold only 30,000 copies. At the moment, it's just not worth EA's time and resources to develop and release the next version on the Wii U.

30k on a rushed port that didn't even include the latest technology they put into Madden. (i.e a port of the previous years game)

Let's low ball it and say EA makes $25 per game sold, as it did retail for $60.

That's $750,000 on a crappy late port. I'm sure they made money on it.

There is no way they expected much more considering it was a crappy port that was advetised to be missing key upgrades. I mean not only was it luanched months after it came out on PS360, but it was basically the previous years game which means it was really over a year late.