By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Illumiroom opinions

Who owns a Video Projector? What is your opinion about it ( when used for gaming ) ? How does it change your experience when compared to a TV? How do you think Illumiroom further changes this experience?

Ex Graphics Whore.

Around the Network

I often play games with a projector at my friend's house. It's a bit low quality though so the colors are washed out and black isn't black.

I think gaming on a bigger screen than 50 inches is unneccessary and becomes more a strain than it adds to the experience.

About the little I've seen of Illumiroom it feels just like another gimmick.

Illumiroom will be expanding the TV, not acting as the tv. YOu will still be using a tv as your center focus so you can't really compare it to a projector. Projectors are a bit lower quality for the most part than TVs though.

I think illumiroom looks really cool but it's nothing that I will buy as a standalone device. To me it is interesting and I think the technology is cool but beyond that I can live with my TV without illumiroom.

So: few people owning a video projector? I know it gets expensive when aiming for a decent projector, but i find'em somehow affordable.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Looks great inmy opinion, showed my girlfriend the video of illumiroom to see her reaction(casual) she says its cool

Around the Network

I play games with a 1080p projector on a 92" screen. It's worth the price of admission, great experience but not cheap if you want a quality setup. I paid about $2400 for a 1100 lumen home theater projector to get the best movie experience with another $800 for a good screen, plus replacement bulbs cost $350 every 2000 hours.
Games like GT5 and Wipeout HD are so much more immersive on a big screen. And all racing games and anything else with precision steering becomes a lot easier.

720p games take a little while to get accustomed to blown up to that size. Here the value of a good projector comes in, as I found out that leaving the upscaling to the projector gives much better results then letting the 360 upscale to 1080p. Dark Souls in a dark room with a field of view filling experience, time flies.

About Illumiroom. Obviously completely incompatible with my projector setup, the screen is surrounded by dark flat panel speakers and the walls themselves dark red, lined with black shelves filled with movies and games. No coffee table either. It's imcompatible with Kinect too (you're blocking the projector beam) and Move (distracting bright light waving in front of you)

Anyway the living room is for motion gaming. There Illumiroom could add something to my 52" tv. However you need a lot more light output projecting at 140" on walls and furniture. To keep it affordable you'll be stuck to powerful DLP projectors which I personally can't stand. (gives me weird flashes and that annoying rainbow effect)
I think it would be more distracting then fun in the long run. You're better of with a slightly better projector (no need to go all high end like I did) and enjoy a big screen experience with all games. Especially now 1080p gaming will become the standard rather then the exception.

interesting feature but not for me...

spurgeonryan said:

One of my friends has a projector, but usually games on his Giant flat screen tv. I am not sure why.

The answer is above you. Replacement bulps still are in the $300-$500 range. And the bulps start getting darker after 1000 hours and may blow up within 1000-3000 hours.. so that ticking noise you hear is not the wheel in the dlp projector, it's the money stream that trickles out of your pocket...

Basically take everything Slimebeast has said above and mark it opposite for me.

When properly done, projector gaming and movie watching on a large screen is the best entertainment experience you can have in your house.

Projectors hide resolution loss much better than LCD's due to plush pixels and latest projectors have amazing contrast ratios and can be used in normal daylight without issues.

Below is a 92 inch 1080p projector setup I used to have, which i sadly had to get rid of when I moved. I am counting my days till I move again and set up a 100 inch projector setup in my entertainment room.

drkohler said:
spurgeonryan said:

One of my friends has a projector, but usually games on his Giant flat screen tv. I am not sure why.

The answer is above you. Replacement bulps still are in the $300-$500 range. And the bulps start getting darker after 1000 hours and may blow up within 1000-3000 hours.. so that ticking noise you hear is not the wheel in the dlp projector, it's the money stream that trickles out of your pocket...

Most projectors have ~5000 hour life expectancy for their bulbs and I've put 1900 hours on mine without any noticable brightness loss.

They have LED projectors now which have 500 to 2000 lumens and have 20,000 hour bulb life.