By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would an industry crash be such a bad thing?

RicardJulianti said:
richardhutnik said:

Thing is a crash means an end to almost all AAA stuff, and games being secondary on portable devices.  Go look back at the crash in the 1980s to see what happened there.

If there was a "crash", it most certainly wouldn't happen the way it did in the 1980's. Customers wouldn't lose complete confidence in the gaming industry, it would just be sustained by the company faithful just as it once was until this all repeats itself. Saying everything would turn into one big Apple App Store is a gross exaggeration. There are plenty of people, with more than enough money, to fund development of games as we know them, just with some cuts. Nintendo has gotten along just fine without full voice acting, scripts and frill effects that just balloon the development budget for 30 years now. The Wii didn't even have programmable shaders, yet some of the highest rated games of the last generation were on the console as well as absolutely stunning visuals. The production values (see: polish) is second to none on those titles as well. It is simply a matter of development tactics.

The "Big 3" would still have money since Sony and MS still have other avenues of income to fall back on while Nintendo could take losses as big as they did this last year and still be around for 30-40 years before they had to sell off assets. Those 3 would either buy up studios or fund development of games, giving those people jobs, development experience, and money so they could then fund their own games in the future.

It almost seems like you didn't read the article at all as I am having to repeat most of what is said there.

You should take a look at my other article that is linked in that one and ignore the console specifics. 1080p vs 720 is almost negligible when you sit far enough away from the screen. Generally, I feel like people sit at least 5-7 feet away from their TV, but without a 40-46" screen and perfect eyesight, they aren't physically capable of detecting the difference at that distance. 

A crash is what happened in the 1980s.  It means, IF LUCKY, you have one console maker left.  The industry is left way in doubt at this point, and people are unsure it will survive.  Now, do you mean contraction, instead of growth?  That is a different beast.  That involves maybe one console maker remaining.  It isn't a crash, but contraction.

Contraction could be helpful, but a crash is a different animal completing,  In a crash, an industry nearly completely dies off.

Around the Network

richardhutnik said:

A crash is what happened in the 1980s.  It means, IF LUCKY, you have one console maker left.  The industry is left way in doubt at this point, and people are unsure it will survive.  Now, do you mean contraction, instead of growth?  That is a different beast.  That involves maybe one console maker remaining.  It isn't a crash, but contraction.

Contraction could be helpful, but a crash is a different animal completing,  In a crash, an industry nearly completely dies off.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/14/making-of-the-xbox-1/    The "State of Panic" section. Bill Gates saw the PS2 as an affront the PC.

When I speak about the market, I am speaking of the overall size. As long as consoles continue to sell, the market gets larger. We will see if the market is bigger or smaller next gen. The more consoles that are available, the more people are able to buy games so the market is larger. It is most certainly larger than it has ever been before. Even if there are less people buying games overall, the potential is still there. Disagreements and development hell becomes worse with a larger development team size. Too many people giving their input. I know that Sony's game division isn't doing poorly (other than the fact that it lost them at least $4bn with the PS3 alone), and I said "if Sony doesn't reign in their other divisions"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983   In '83 PC games were a factor. 

Like I said, Nintendo helped spur competition by imposing their own draconian rules on third parties. 38 Studios did buy Big Huge because they had started on a game, they did want it to be an MMO and developed it as such and then it was changed to a single player RPG. Mass Effect 2 was still made by EA even though the developers were Bioware. Like I said, Schilling mismanaged the entire thing. By buying the studio, the office space, moving to Rhode Island, taking out the loan etc....he was mismanaging the budget. Just because I didn't mention every little detail involved doesn't make it inaccurate, it isn't as if the information I provided was false.

"Clearly untrue" and "clearly poorly researched" are gross exaggerations, seeing as nothing is inherently untrue, and I did research. Not including every minute details doesn't mean something isn't true. The article was long enough as it is. The quote here is pure semantics. "Oh no, he said crash instead of contraction!"

i dont want the gaming industry to crash...just call of duty

It already crashed for me, I barely play the mainstream games any more, its the same for music, I never ever listen to the mainstream music, as for tv shows and movies, rarely do they ever interest me any more.

I am actually fine with all this , as it gives me more time to develop myself than to experience them.

If another crash happened it would all be the FPS genre's fault, there's too many of them. We need innovation and variety. Hopefully, if it happened it wouldn't affect any of the console manufacturers like the 1983 crash did hugely. Budgets need to go down too, we don't need the best graphics, effects ever etc. It's all about the gameplay.

But i don't think a crash is likely again, just a slump maybe

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:

If another crash happened it would all be the FPS genre's fault, there's too many of them. We need innovation and variety. Hopefully, if it happened it wouldn't affect any of the console manufacturers like the 1983 crash did hugely. Budgets need to go down too, we don't need the best graphics, effects ever etc. It's all about the gameplay.

But i don't think a crash is likely again, just a slump maybe

Get rid of FPS and what are people going to migrate to?  There is not some sort of essential biological drive to play videogames as a form of entertainment, so people are as likely to go do other things, unless something replaces FPS.  This doesn't diminish the reality of an excess of FPS though. 

okr said:
There won't be a "crash". The idea that this industry as a whole will or should crash doesn't make sense.

And why do some people even hope this industry "crasesh"? Just look at the top 5 most wanted games people name every month. 95% of these games are mainstream. Most people who want this industry to "crash" buy exactly those games they hope would disappear? Seems so.

I think the videogames industry has never been as diverse as today.

I don't buy the games that I want to disapear.

Also, if the game industry is so diverse, where are the AAA Sci-Fi dinosaur themed FPS games that I could enjoy in the nineties? Where is the RPG where you are sucked into a pulp novel themed pre-historic world? Where are the AAA equivalents to Star Control? To Jazz Jackrabbit?

Gaming was so much more diverse in the nineties.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
okr said:
There won't be a "crash". The idea that this industry as a whole will or should crash doesn't make sense.

And why do some people even hope this industry "crasesh"? Just look at the top 5 most wanted games people name every month. 95% of these games are mainstream. Most people who want this industry to "crash" buy exactly those games they hope would disappear? Seems so.

I think the videogames industry has never been as diverse as today.

I don't buy the games that I want to disapear.
Yes, you do and you already did. Earlier in this thread you said you would "love to see the current game industry crash and burn.", i.e. you already bought and still buy the games you want to disappear, unless of course you meant you love to see only certain parts of the industry crash and burn.

Also, if the game industry is so diverse, where are the AAA Sci-Fi dinosaur themed FPS games that I could enjoy in the nineties?
Turok, 2008. Yes, 5 years ago, but still closer to 2013 than to the nineties. According to your profile you own the X360 version of this game. In case you didn't enjoy it and it was more XYZ to you than AAA or even just ABC, don't blame me or the industry. At least they tried, the game exists and hey, you bought it. Also, you might want to bookmark http://www.primalcarnage.com/website/about

Where is the RPG where you are sucked into a pulp novel themed pre-historic world?
Probably in development soon.

Where are the AAA equivalents to Star Control?
If you'd try to look beyond the first letter of the alphabet for a moment, this thread contains a list of recommendations. Or if you insinst on the first letter - and in case stuttered A means moneymoneymoney spent - how about http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

To Jazz Jackrabbit?
As far as I know there are dozens of them. On any system. At least I think so. I played the first JJ back in the 90s but don't play these kind of games anymore. Not because I don't like them, but because I suck. What are those called? Sidescrolling shooters, like Metal Slug and Contra? If so, recent famous examples would be (besides the latest Metal Slug and Contra iterations) e.g. Nicalis'
Cave Story and La Mulana.

Gaming was so much more diverse in the nineties.
No. Better, in your opinion (and in mine btw), but not more diverse.

See my answers above. I apologize in advance if you don't find them AAA enough.

I don't know, you tell me. As far as I know, the crash begun back in 2008.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

RicardJulianti said:

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/14/making-of-the-xbox-1/    The "State of Panic" section. Bill Gates saw the PS2 as an affront the PC.

When I speak about the market, I am speaking of the overall size. As long as consoles continue to sell, the market gets larger. We will see if the market is bigger or smaller next gen. The more consoles that are available, the more people are able to buy games so the market is larger. It is most certainly larger than it has ever been before. Even if there are less people buying games overall, the potential is still there. Disagreements and development hell becomes worse with a larger development team size. Too many people giving their input. I know that Sony's game division isn't doing poorly (other than the fact that it lost them at least $4bn with the PS3 alone), and I said "if Sony doesn't reign in their other divisions"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983   In '83 PC games were a factor. 

Like I said, Nintendo helped spur competition by imposing their own draconian rules on third parties. 38 Studios did buy Big Huge because they had started on a game, they did want it to be an MMO and developed it as such and then it was changed to a single player RPG. Mass Effect 2 was still made by EA even though the developers were Bioware. Like I said, Schilling mismanaged the entire thing. By buying the studio, the office space, moving to Rhode Island, taking out the loan etc....he was mismanaging the budget. Just because I didn't mention every little detail involved doesn't make it inaccurate, it isn't as if the information I provided was false.

"Clearly untrue" and "clearly poorly researched" are gross exaggerations, seeing as nothing is inherently untrue, and I did research. Not including every minute details doesn't mean something isn't true. The article was long enough as it is. The quote here is pure semantics. "Oh no, he said crash instead of contraction!"

I assume this was meant to be a reply to me.

So you read "One of the apocryphal stories was that Bill Gates approached Sony’s CEO, Noboyuki Idei (pictured right), before the PlayStation 2 game console was announced. Gates wanted Sony to use Microsoft’s programming tools, but Idei turned Gates down. Idei said that Gates flew into a rage, taking the affront surprisingly personally. " and got from that the PS2 was an affront to PC? You do know what apocryphal means right? And you realise being personally offended by Sony refusing to use MS tools in their dev kitts is a seperate issue right? MS tools were already used for some Dreamcast games (tho the partnership wasn't as strong as MS wanted) at that point showing that MS had an interest into getting into the market long before the PS2. "Games were on the cusp of breaking out into the mass market and could even become bigger than the movies. The fear that Microsoft would miss out on this lucrative market flowed down from the top." is they key part it was a market they wanted in on.

PC gaming was still very small at the time (especially outside of the UK and Europe) it's effect on the 83 crash was minimal at most. And PC gaming has grown stronger ever since (with a few slumps) without negatively effecting the console business. Don't take wikipedia too seriously when it comes to stuff like that.

Gaming is much much bigger than the console market that your article still seems to ignore. And the big 3 console makers relly heavilly on the major publishers support, none of them have the resources to maintain major consoles without 3rd party support. Even Nintendo (tho them by far the least of the 3) relies on the income brought in and the additions to library that they bring. And without that revenue stream they could afford even less internal development. The loss of major publishers would cripple all console manufaturers. Also the loss of AAA publishers would hurt outside investor confidence which would also cripple new publishers and developers. The console space is already feeling the pinch of a lack of investor confidence in Console games as investors move to make a quick buck on mobile, social and Free 2 Play. Which has lead to the loss of several 3rd party developers that used to work on console and "retail" PC games. With a big publisher collapse investment in console games would dry up increadibly quickly, and move even more into mobile and Asia (F2P, Social) because that is where the money is. It would not lead to a renasonse of mid tier games by mid tier studios and a death of franchises and "exploitative" business models as you claim. Quite the opposite in fact it would just kill that segmant once and for all as well as the average AAA games, leaving only mega franchises and tiny 1-15 man indies and social/F2P/Freemium. 

No you are still getting the 38 Studios stuff wrong they were developing their MMO for 2 years before they accuried Big Huge Games. Reckoning was repurposed into a prelude to the MMO nothing more, it was always a singleplayer RPG. Project Copernicus was the MMO that 38 Studios was developing, a seperate game intirely, and was still in development at 38 Studios after Rekoning shipped. 38 Studios isn't a publisher (Rekoning was published by EA partners) they were a studio in their own right developing their own game completly seperate from Reckoning. And the situation around that studio has nothing to do with the state of the industry, and very little to do with the lack of success of Reckoning. There was a reason that Epic accuired most of Big Huge Games after 38 Studios went under, tho after Tensent aquired a large stake they let them go in the restructuring.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!