By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Fans, why do you say DD is best Kart?

Tagged games:

^Well with all these upcomming games for the system, you have every reason to get one. =)

Around the Network

Interesting, the responses have stopped again. What could this mean, hmm? ;)
Regardless, I now have a better picture as to why DD is heralded as the best by some so thank yal for that! Let's hope Mario Kart U changes all our opinions as to which Kart is best Kart! ^_^

Anyone want to sell me their copy at a reasonable price?

^It's all, or atleast most, of the peoples in heres favorite Kart, with some of them saying they still play it, so good luck trying to get someone to unload their copy. :P

Einsam_Delphin said:
Ljink96 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Ljink96 said:
Well, I enjoyed Double Dash so much as a kid. I just loved the new tracks and jazzy tunes that Mario Kart 64 didn't have. I am one of those who believes that Mario Kart 64 isn't the best Mario Kart although it was great. What I really loved about Double Dash was the double character idea, the specials that have just recently gone missing, the ability to dodge red shells and Spiny shells just by drifting fast enough, and it was just overall a solid game.

The character roster was a huge improvement for the time and something about Mario Kart 7 that troubles me is that Waluwigi has a stage but not a character choice... that's too weird. I still love MK7 but it wasn't as innovative as Double Dash, TO A CERTAIN DEGREE. I know the second screen is great, the para-glider was fantastic, but the item choice was kind of lacking and some physics are just waaaay off. For instance, driving into the grass causes almost immediate slowdown unless you have your "off road" on the max level. I hope they bring back the double kart and specials in the Wii U Mario Kart, which I hope will be named Mario Kart Ultra. That'd be a sweet and fitting name.

Finally a real response! ^_^

Yeah I definitely agree that 64 is not he best of em. Honestly the newer ones are so much better in pretty much everyway. My biggest quip about 64 is it's tracks are so bland. All you're doing much of the time is holding down the A button and not much else. Even in the newer games, I'm not a fan of playing most N64 tracks, though they're made a bit better with coins, tricks, gliding n such adding more depth to the tracks and increasing player input. But anywho, let's get back to DD! 

The double character thing is the games gimmick, much like gliding n underwater portions are in MK7. They don't really change the core gameplay much if at all (which is definitely a good thing) and are really just there to differentiate the game from others in the series. Basically they don't help any one MK be better or worse than another. No specials yes, though honestly I say this helps balance the game, but regardless MK7 has many other features that more than make up for this (customizable karts, online). I suppose it's kinda kewl that you can dodge red shells like that, though there are ways to avoid them in MK7 too, but they're easy enough to block just by holding an item behind you. It's way more important that you can avoid blue shells thanks to the second screen showing you when someone has one so you can temporarily drop back into second. And yeah every MK is a solid game. :P

Yeah idk what Nintendo was thinking with the character roster, but honestly it's not that big of a deal. They could be stick figures and the game would still have the same great gameplay. And when you say innovative, what do you mean exactly? Hopefully not just having a new feature first that the new versions still have. :P 

What's the item selection missing asside from super op junk? Has all the trademark MK items along with new, balanced ones. Pyshics are something that just has to be gotten used to as it varies from game to game, sometimes even from games of the same series. You shouldn't need to go off road too often, and it kinda has to slow you down instantly otherwise a lotta shortcuts would be too easily accessed.

Mario Kart U (which is likely to be it's name unfortunately), could easily be the best one yet! Can't wait to see what it looks like!

Well, a few things. Regarding specials, I totally respect your opinions but I think that specials added life and strategy to the game. Instead of everybody gaining access to fireballs in MK7 only Mario or Luigi could do it. Everybody was special in some way. I don't want to be some edited model that can do everything any other character can do.Variety is needed in a game like MK.

The item roster is something that I think could have just been handled better. The fake boxes are gone, the Spiny is unfair. Even if you go off the stage it still hits you. I don't know how you can evade spinys in that game because I have yet to do so. And that telephone sound makes me mad everytime I hear it. Beep beep beep beep... BOOM! Every single second.

As for the Physics of the game, they are really sleak on road but I don't think that taking a shortcut should require you to stop accelerating instantly. Its like when I try to take a cut I end up being in the same place that I was. By DD being innovative I mean that it was a huge leap over MK64. MK7 has new features but its more like a portable MKWii. I guess that isn't innovation then. Probably just a greater leap in gameplay and graphics between 64 and DD than Wii and 7.

Some characters specials were better than others no? I feel balance is more important as it puts more emphasis on skill and I'd say it's more fun for everyone when you can use your favorite character without worrying about him being inferior, and there's plenty of variety still through kart customization.

You sound like you want every single MK item in exsistence in one game lol. That just can't happen. Every MK game has items others don't, so you can't say any one MK is inferior cause it's missing X item as they're all like that. Like I said before, you can see when someone has a blue shell on the bottom screen, therefore you can temporarily drop back into second to avoid it. And atleast that sound doesn't go off half as much as it does in the Wii game. :L

Only some short cuts reduce your time without going through them with a mushroom, And we're talking which MK overall is the best, not just for it's time. so that definition of innovation doesn't really mean anything here.

Well still, overall its Double Dash. And I do kinda want all the aspects that made Mario Kart good into one game. Its possible. Well, probably not considering that Japanese developers never like to do the same thing over again and they're too stubborn to change anything. I just think that with all this space(25GB per layer) that Mario Kart U should be the biggest MK yet. With a large amount of courses from all the MKS.

Around the Network

^I say it has more to do with laziness than anything. I'd be happy to eat some crow though if they do dish out more than 32 tracks, and I'd uber excited to eat all the crows in the world if they came out with a track maker.

If you had 3 friends over and could play with two people each on a cart you would not need to ask this question.

It was just soo much fun.

But seeing how most people these days seem to only like playing ALONE in their house and with others ONLY over the internet, I can see how this would seem alien to you.

Einsam_Delphin said:
^It's all, or atleast most, of the peoples in heres favorite Kart, with some of them saying they still play it, so good luck trying to get someone to unload their copy. :P

You'd figure since they consider it their favorite kart they'd want to spread the love to others that still haven't played it....anyone lol

irstupid said:
If you had 3 friends over and could play with two people each on a cart you would not need to ask this question.

It was just soo much fun.

But seeing how most people these days seem to only like playing ALONE in their house and with others ONLY over the internet, I can see how this would seem alien to you.

MK7 is also uber fun, so....?

If you had friends like I used to have, you'd understand why I prefer to play online sometimes, but I still had get togethers for a long while after online play became a thing for me. I can't speak for most people though, but then how do you know if that's even true without having eyes in everyone's house? 

RolStoppable said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Btw did DD have retro tracks?

No, only 16 new ones. With that it's tied with Mario Kart 64 for smallest track selection.

Aha! Chalk up another one for MK7!

@Lyrikalstylez:

They probably are, but only to their friends where they don't have to actually give up the game. ;)