By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Next-Gen Xbox Is Getting a Hell of an Exclusive, Sources Say

S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
BenVTrigger said:
Megaton if true

Overstating things a bit no?

Megaton is an existing popular multiplat franchise going exclusive, or an existing popular exclusive franchise going multiplat, at the begoinning of a new generation.

This is a new IP from a new developer, with some guys who have a good reputation for multiplayer FPS.

It is for sure a very good grab by MS. What surprises me though is not that they got PS4 shut out, but that they've shut out the PC too (right?).

For me, one less FPS franchise on Playstation is good news.

I actually hope the next generation is the generation of something other than FPS.

Please not JPRGs...  And why is one less FPS franchise good? I thought Playstation was always strong because of variety...

If Sony focuses on JRPG's again like the did during he PSone and PS2 era, the Japanese will buy PS4's like hot cakes. The Japanese barely bought PS3's because they were alienated by Sony focusing so much on western games. The Japanese were basically forced into Wii/DS mode.

Yes they will but personally I don't care about japanese :) As I live in the west I welcome a strategy that focuses on western games.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
BenVTrigger said:
Megaton if true

Megaton is an existing popular multiplat franchise going exclusive, or an existing popular exclusive franchise going multiplat, at the begoinning of a new generation.

This is a new IP from a new developer, with some guys who have a good reputation for multiplayer FPS.

It is for sure a very good grab by MS. What surprises me though is not that they got PS4 shut out, but that they've shut out the PC too (right?).

I actually hope the next generation is the generation of something other than FPS.

Please not JPRGs...  And why is one less FPS franchise good? I thought Playstation was always strong because of variety...

If Sony focuses on JRPG's again like the did during he PSone and PS2 era, the Japanese will buy PS4's like hot cakes. The Japanese barely bought PS3's because they were alienated by Sony focusing so much on western games. The Japanese were basically forced into Wii/DS mode.

Yes they will but personally I don't care about japanese :) As I live in the west I welcome a strategy that focuses on western games.

Well thats the point isn't it? Being a jack of all trades was their m.o when they were on top. They should act like it.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
BenVTrigger said:
Megaton if true

Well thats the point isn't it? Being a jack of all trades was their m.o when they were on top. They should act like it.

To win japan? :) Well, I think that Sony is doing well in USA and Europe and that there is the most money to make. They could perhaps convince more japanese devs to make JRPGs for PS4 but this wouldn't change sales in USA or Europe. Of course this could be an easy territory for Sony to win sales against NextBox - even more than they do now.

walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
BenVTrigger said:
Megaton if true

To win japan? :) Well, I think that Sony is doing well in USA and Europe and that there is the most money to make. They could perhaps convince more japanese devs to make JRPGs for PS4 but this wouldn't change sales in USA or Europe. Of course this could be an easy territory for Sony to win sales against NextBox - even more than they do now.

The Japanese used to be one of the big three when it came to game sales. Since Sony has been focusing on the west and all of the tragedies have been happening in Japan things really have been bumpy for Japan. People in Japan have responded appropriately in sales to the DS, so this means if a console is focused at least somewhat on the Japanese they will come. Its almost like because the Wii has nothing outside of a few great JRPG games and Nintendo first party the DS has been their platform of choice. Sony needs to involve themselves with level 5 studios and other companies. 

MS doesn't need to focus on Japan so shooters and other exclusives with a lot of great third party will help them out a lot. Thats how they got noticed with the original Xbox but it didnt win the gen for them. The 360 set them apart in the beginning from their "shooter box" syndrome as basically a Sony replica, so people got to pick from two similar entities.

Could be big, I'll wait till I've seen more though. Kinda hoping M$ expands past the FPS market but I'll give them credit for knowing their target market well.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
BenVTrigger said:
Megaton if true

The Japanese used to be one of the big three when it came to game sales. Since Sony has been focusing on the west and all of the tragedies have been happening in Japan things really have been bumpy for Japan. People in Japan have responded appropriately in sales to the DS, so this means if a console is focused at least somewhat on the Japanese they will come. Its almost like because the Wii has nothing outside of a few great JRPG games and Nintendo first party the DS has been their platform of choice. Sony needs to involve themselves with level 5 studios and other companies. 

MS doesn't need to focus on Japan so shooters and other exclusives with a lot of great third party will help them out a lot. Thats how they got noticed with the original Xbox but it didnt win the gen for them. The 360 set them apart in the beginning from their "shooter box" syndrome as basically a Sony replica, so people got to pick from two similar entities.

You are describing it as MS would only focus on shooters which is definitely wrong but I agree with you that japanese like it when they are handled exclusively and get "their" games. Perhaps Sony or MS should consider getting more in touch with Sega and convince them to revive some of their old games. It could work wonders.

Respawn's new title is an FPS right? So it is competing with Call of Duty on the next xbox...hmmm

walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
BenVTrigger said:
Megaton if true

You are describing it as MS would only focus on shooters which is definitely wrong but I agree with you that japanese like it when they are handled exclusively and get "their" games. Perhaps Sony or MS should consider getting more in touch with Sega and convince them to revive some of their old games. It could work wonders.

MS knows their market is the west and shooters are strong over there. Their helm games are mainly shooters even the third party ones like COD. In the American medias eyes COD is pretty much associated with the 360 even though it very close to the PS3 version. Sega would be an interesting company to get ahold of, perhaps they would be interested in selling Nights or Shen Mue. Sega made some very arcadey games that represented the 90's completely. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
BenVTrigger said:
Megaton if true

MS knows their market is the west and shooters are strong over there. Their helm games are mainly shooters even the third party ones like COD. In the American medias eyes COD is pretty much associated with the 360 even though it very close to the PS3 version. Sega would be an interesting company to get ahold of, perhaps they would be interested in selling Nights or Shen Mue. Sega made some very arcadey games that represented the 90's completely. 

I highly recommend you Nights on psn! And yes, I would really like to see Scud Race, for example,  on a console.

walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
BenVTrigger said:
Megaton if true

I highly recommend you Nights on psn! And yes, I would really like to see Scud Race, for example,  on a console.

I never knew it was on PSN. I'll definitely look into that! Nights was so sick when I was really young.