By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Reveal Had No 'Material Impact' On Microsoft

Yes, MS was affected by the PS4 announcement, but only to the benefit of MS. I believe MS watched the PS4 reveal and said "that's it?", but where are all the awesome 3rd party games and where the hell is the actual PS4? Then MS asked whether PS4 can play PS3 games and wondered what the hell Gaikai is about. After all that many many more considerations, I assume MS decided not to make those same 'mistakes'

So there you have it, MS, IMO, was affected by the PS reveal.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
Hynad said:
Goatseye said:
What do people remember about PS4 announcement? A polished game... what else? No hardware specs, a already seen, probably old technology by May 21st, Kinect look alike, a controller that adds social features and touchpad. What was there to be blown away and make MS delay their presentation?

I think vociferous Sony fans are more excited about their product than the company itself. Since the announcement Sony just came out officially to discuss the controller. But websites like N4G has been talking about infinite possibilities that probably not even Sony has imagined. And on the course the Sony fans have been taking shots at MS and Nintendo, "sentencing" their fate although one haven't revealed their product and the other one product is still in its infancy.
Some people live in their bubbles and I hope their world "burst" May 21st.

That kind of comment has always been funny to me.  People making those kind of claims don't even get the irony of their own comments even when pointed at it.

Can you explain what's ironic there?

While Hynad pointed something else out about your comment, I found this quite funny: "No hardware specs, a already seen, probably old technology by May 21st, Kinect look alike, a controller that adds social features and touchpad."

No hardware specs?  Then how do we know what type of CPU and RAM is in the console?  True, they didn't go into great detail about the GPU, but that will come later.  We still got a good overall understanding of the HW.

Kinect look alike?  Yes, they do look somewhat similar.  I suppose anything with 2 cameras would look similar to the Kinect.  However, this is just a natural evolution of the PS Eye, which released several years before the Kinect.  And that was just a natural evolution of the EyeToy, which launched on the PS2.  They, of course, use completely different tech to pull off similar goals.

A controller that adds social features and a touchpad?  This is a pretty silly complaint.  Especially since MS is said to be focusing even more on social features next gen.  While they may not have a Share button, you can bet you're going to be accessing similar features with your NeXbox controller.  And considering the touchpad is mostly going to be used for navigation, as opposed to being shoehorned into games, there's nothing wrong with its inclusion.

And I saved the best for last.  An already seen, old technology by May 21st?  I hope you're aren't going to consider the NeXbox's HW to be state of the art.  Especially since most, if not all, rumors are pointing to it being slightly weaker than the PS4.  I guess that also makes it "a(n) already seen, probably old technology by May 21st."

@ OP

It's pretty obvious that this has affected MS's plans.  I believe originally they were going to reveal it at E3, hence the countdown clock.  However, after the Feb 20th reveal of the PS4, we started getting rumors that they would now reveal it in late April.  That got pushed back to early-late May, most likely because MS felt a need to not just match the PS4 reveal, but outdo it.  This will most likely just pertain to a few larger game reveals, as well as showing the console casing.  The fact that they settled on May 21st reveals a lot.  They weren't ready to reveal it a couple of months ago, but they still feel the need to get out an announcement before E3.  Even if that reveal is a mere 2 weeks before E3. 

I do think it would be hilarious if Sony has another reveal a couple days before or after (before would probably be better), to reveal some larger launch titles, as well as the console design.  This would take a lot of thunder from the NeXbox reveal.  Especially if some of the more negative rumors for the NeXbox turn out to be true.

Nem said:

You arent fooling anyone Microsoft. Why else would you set up and event 2 weeks before E3? LOL

The 360 was revealed even closer to E3 on MTV. So I guess MS is right in their comfort zone.

thismeintiel said:
Goatseye said:
Hynad said:
Goatseye said:
What do people remember about PS4 announcement? A polished game... what else? No hardware specs, a already seen, probably old technology by May 21st, Kinect look alike, a controller that adds social features and touchpad. What was there to be blown away and make MS delay their presentation?

I think vociferous Sony fans are more excited about their product than the company itself. Since the announcement Sony just came out officially to discuss the controller. But websites like N4G has been talking about infinite possibilities that probably not even Sony has imagined. And on the course the Sony fans have been taking shots at MS and Nintendo, "sentencing" their fate although one haven't revealed their product and the other one product is still in its infancy.

That kind of comment has always been funny to me.  People making those kind of claims don't even get the irony of their own comments even when pointed at it.

While Hynad pointed something else out about your comment, I found this quite funny: "No hardware specs, a already seen, probably old technology by May 21st, Kinect look alike, a controller that adds social features and touchpad."

No hardware specs?  Then how do we know what type of CPU and RAM is in the console?  True, they didn't go into great detail about the GPU, but that will come later.  We still got a good overall understanding of the HW.

Kinect look alike?  Yes, they do look somewhat similar.  I suppose anything with 2 cameras would look similar to the Kinect.  However, this is just a natural evolution of the PS Eye, which released several years before the Kinect.  And that was just a natural evolution of the EyeToy, which launched on the PS2.  They, of course, use completely different tech to pull off similar goals.

A controller that adds social features and a touchpad?  This is a pretty silly complaint.  Especially since MS is said to be focusing even more on social features next gen.  While they may not have a Share button, you can bet you're going to be accessing similar features with your NeXbox controller.  And considering the touchpad is mostly going to be used for navigation, as opposed to being shoehorned into games, there's nothing wrong with its inclusion.

And I saved the best for last.  An already seen, old technology by May 21st?  I hope you're aren't going to consider the NeXbox's HW to be state of the art.  Especially since most, if not all, rumors are pointing to it being slightly weaker than the PS4.  I guess that also makes it "a(n) already seen, probably old technology by May 21st."

@ OP

It's pretty obvious that this has affected MS's plans.  I believe originally they were going to reveal it at E3, hence the countdown clock.  However, after the Feb 20th reveal of the PS4, we started getting rumors that they would now reveal it in late April.  That got pushed back to early-late May, most likely because MS felt a need to not just match the PS4 reveal, but outdo it.  This will most likely just pertain to a few larger game reveals, as well as showing the console casing.  The fact that they settled on May 21st reveals a lot.  They weren't ready to reveal it a couple of months ago, but they still feel the need to get out an announcement before E3.  Even if that reveal is a mere 2 weeks before E3. 

I do think it would be hilarious if Sony has another reveal a couple days before or after (before would probably be better), to reveal some larger launch titles, as well as the console design.  This would take a lot of thunder from the NeXbox reveal.  Especially if some of the more negative rumors for the NeXbox turn out to be true.

Rumors is what you base your opinions on I see.

And can you provide us with a link showing MS official statement saying that they were going to make announcements in April?

PS4 sensor resemblance with Eyetoy is a mere bureaucratic formality because in reality a distracted gamer would call it Kinect 2.

Goatseye said:
thismeintiel said:
Goatseye said:
Hynad said:
Goatseye said:

@ OP

And can you provide us with a link showing MS official statement saying that they were going to make announcements in April?

PS4 sensor resemblance with Eyetoy is a mere bureaucratic formality because in reality a distracted gamer would call it Kinect 2.

In reality? What reality? Never heard a single person call it that.

Also, you haven't answered my last comment to you. Quite telling, to say the least.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Goatseye said:
thismeintiel said:
Goatseye said:
Hynad said:
Goatseye said:

@ OP

Also, you haven't answered my last comment to you. Quite telling, to say the least.

There were various references to the obvious similiraties between Kinect and that Sony thing on game forums around the web. I tought it would be obvious and I didn't have to explain myself.

Can you repost you last question please, I don't see any unanswered question of yours.

Goatseye said:
Hynad said:

There were various references to the obvious similiraties between Kinect and that Sony thing on game forums around the web. I tought it would be obvious and I didn't have to explain myself.

Can you repost you last question please, I don't see any unanswered question of yours.

I'm wondering your reason for asking if I had a N4G account. Or for implying that the site was my my "community".

I'm really intrigued as to what you were trying to imply there. ¬_¬

Hynad said:
Goatseye said:
Hynad said:

I'm wondering your reason for asking if I had a N4G account. Or for implying that the site was my my "community".

Sorry, I thought I had made myself clear.

That website is really biased and agressive towards anything that's not Sony. I mean the users and whoever posts articles on their page have a selective criteria that only benefits their interest in a myopic way.

Goatseye said:
Hynad said:
Goatseye said:
Hynad said:

That website is really biased and agressive towards anything that's not Sony. I mean the users and whoever posts articles on their page have a selective criteria that only benefits their interest in a myopic way.

Oh, really... And this applies to me how, exactly?  Please, do elaborate.

Hynad said:
Goatseye said:
Hynad said:
Goatseye said:
Hynad said:

Oh, really... And this applies to me how, exactly?  Please, do elaborate.

I would love to continue exchanging opinions with you but if you cannot conclude from what I stated then lets stop it here.

My team is about to play so I cannot give you my undivided attention for now.