By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is E3 really necessary in our day and age for the big 3?

In responds to Nintendo opting for a lesser presence in this year's E3, I wonder if Sony and Microsoft could do the same.

Let's face it, E3 is christmas to video game enthusiasts.  It's the bells and whistles we come to expect near late may early june every year.  With it's pageantry, drama, and loud roaring stereos, it's become the epicenter of gaming information.  But do we really need it, or better question is; does any of the big 3 really need it?

This year, it will be a head to head with both Microsoft and Sony taunting their newest console to be release to the market.  That being said, wouldn't it be a better idea if both had opened their own specific ventues and not take up one another's spotlight?  For instance, in March, Sony had their semi-big reveal of the Sony Playstation 4.  The whole coverage was about Sony, sony, sony.  It was their building, it was their audience, it was their reporters, it was their news.  This upcoming May 21st Xbox conference is all about Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft. 

Imagine it's Microsoft's quinceanera and are throwing the biggest party in town.  Then, Sony, because it's their Bar Mitzvah, holds another big party and are inviting every motherlover out there and it's gonna be hot all on the same day.  P Diddy is going to Sony's and Jay Z is going to Microsoft's party.  Total dick move, right. Well, Nintendo is smart, because they're holding theirs in 2 months and are inviting both P Diddy and Jay Z, has a Ferrarri cake and is gonna be even hotter.

You get my point right.  You may say what about 3rd party companies.  Even better for them, because they have 3 venues to cater the party. 

In 1995, the first E3 was held.  For that event, Playstation, Virtual boy, Neo Geo Cd and the specification for the N64 were released.  It holds water that it was first held so a company could announce their new wares to a wide range of industry personnels there, so their news would spread wider.  But with the internet the way it is today, the big 3 could announce anything they want and the news will be picked up before you can say 'leaked'. 

Let's be honest with our selves.  Is that such a bad idea because we will miss the Christmas aspects of E3 or because it's just such a bad idea over all. 

Around the Network

E3 is very important press, investor, and consumer event. Not playing ball means you aren't in the game. Unless they did an immaculate job with the press at the Nintendo booth this will not bode well for them. Press coverage of a big 3 booth is what the press does anyway, so I'm not sure what Nintendo is thinking. This might shake investor strength.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Nintendo is being the butt hurt kid who isn't popular right now, and instead of embracing an opportunity to popularize itself against its competition it's going off to the corner to speak to the wall.

Grow up, Nintendo.

Yes.. Otherwise fanboys can't say: "just wait for E3" about their doomed console/handheld.. Otherwise we would only have "just wait for TGS" left.. That would be too long for a wait..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Chark said:
E3 is very important press, investor, and consumer event. Not playing ball means you aren't in the game. Unless they did an immaculate job with the press at the Nintendo booth this will not bode well for them. Press coverage of a big 3 booth is what the press does anyway, so I'm not sure what Nintendo is thinking. This might shake investor strength.

The question here isn't whether Nintendo is playing ball, but the necessity for E3 at all.  Plus really, who wants to see another corny Nintendo presentation?  There are some, but let's all be honest.  We don't need something to cringe on.

I'm just wondering, how important is E3 for any of the big 3 to be able to drive the message home?  What's the target of E3.  The press will hound an anything that smells funny.  Investors will always be givin party passes and limo rides, and the consumer, how far reaching will E3 get to the consumer?  Ask 10 people on a random main street and question their knowledge about E3.  I had, and found that 2 out of 16 people knew a damn thing about Electronic Entertainment Expo. It was at work actaully, but I asked a diverse group of workers, ages 18 to at least 48 years old.  When we look for news, it's not E3.com, but it's ign, or yahoo, or vgchartz, gametrailers.  The casual doesn't get this info from E3, but from word of mouth from Becky's 15 year old son playing with the Kinect. 

I remember when Sony had their conference last March.  All day, nothing but news about playstation on the local tv news, the news paper, Yahoo news, etc.  It felt like E3 the whole day.  I'm betting when May 21st hits, it'll be mini E3 day also. 

Around the Network
Ouroboros24 said:
Chark said:

The question here isn't whether Nintendo is playing ball, but the necessity for E3 at all.  Plus really, who wants to see another corny Nintendo presentation?  There are some, but let's all be honest.  We don't need something to cringe on.

I'm just wondering, how important is E3 for any of the big 3 to be able to drive the message home?  What's the target of E3.  The press will hound an anything that smells funny.  Investors will always be givin party passes and limo rides, and the consumer, how far reaching will E3 get to the consumer?  Ask 10 people on a random main street and question their knowledge about E3.  I had, and found that 2 out of 16 people knew a damn thing about Electronic Entertainment Expo. It was at work actaully, but I asked a diverse group of workers, ages 18 to at least 48 years old.  When we look for news, it's not E3.com, but it's ign, or yahoo, or vgchartz, gametrailers.  The casual doesn't get this info from E3, but from word of mouth from Becky's 15 year old son playing with the Kinect. 

I remember when Sony had their conference last March.  All day, nothing but news about playstation on the local tv news, the news paper, Yahoo news, etc.  It felt like E3 the whole day.  I'm betting when May 21st hits, it'll be mini E3 day also. 

E3 is very important, it is like the superbowl of gaming. Sure investors will get insider treatment but do you think the company's willingness and ability to hold a large televized conference isn't a concern to investors? This is really important and Nintendo would have to do something giving equal exposure in order to make up for it. Nintendo could try holding an outside event on a different date to grab attention, but they are still going to get steamrolled at E3 and the other 2 of the Big 3 already have big outside events because they are annoucning their consoles. That strategy is a double edged sword and I'm not even sure if they are doing that so some people's perceptions that they are figuratively hiding their head in the sand or waving the white flag may be justified.

I'm sure that is not their intention, but one begins to wonder if they know what they are doing. Yes, their recent E3's have been terrible but the idea is to not have a cringe worthy event and actually do a good job. They need to reafirm themeslves, not bow out.

As  for your questionnaire, finding 1/8th of people knowning about E3 is over 40 million people in regards to the US.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

It would be a mistake from both not to come to E3. E3 is buzz all around.

And there is no reason to not make another "privat show" before e3 or after e3.

Yes absolutely, it's an important event and press for gaming.

One major component of e3 is getting to square off. You get to see what the internet thinks of the show, and who won. This is a great time for gathering information on what the consumers found interesting, especially how they feel the consoles stack up against each other.

E3 is a big deal but if the big 3 just did their own megashows throughout the year or even all during May/June, it would diminish the appeal of E3 mightily. Who knows which approach is better. There are pros and cons for both sides.