By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo Side Stepping E3 Because Of Third Party Snubs?

Soundwave said:
Ljink96 said:
I rarely care about other 3rd parties on Nintendo consoles, not handhelds. Just give me Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D Mario and Zelda and you've got yerselves a deal Nintendo. I'll only care for third parties like Capcom and Square Enix and that's it. When you think about it Nintendo hasn't had excellent third party support since well... the best I can think of, console wise, is GameCube. Now handhelds, on the other hand, Nintendo is doing just fine on 3rd party support handheld wise as PSV is struggling. Which is why we probably won't see much Vita content.

Now that Wii U is out Nintendo needs to focus on getting their first party software, what made them so rich in the first place, on the console. I think they know this. We might not see Nintendo at E3 like we usually do but hopefully it will feel the same. Man, Nintendo is really scaring me though. Things really don't look good... and that's coming from a fan. I hope they can rebound. There is too much talent there for them to suffer. I wish them the best.

Well pretty much you are the average Nintendo fan. Which is precisely why they don't need to have a big show. They can show you Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Smash, Zelda ... which is really what you want to see in a Nintendo Direct just as well.

That's kind of the problem though.  Nintendo fans are already the ones buying the console.  If they want their numbers to rise they'll have to look outside of that market, and with two powerful consoles set to debut this year, that must be a pretty scary prospect for them at the moment.

It's all about the game.

Around the Network

Ok, so the main point of this thread is "How shit is Nintendo amirite??!!"

I'm not going to address that, because there's a more important thing to address, the argument that if Nintendo aren't holding a traditional E3 event, then they aren't holding an E3 event.

Now, we could think up many reasons for them wanting to have non traditional events. The most likely one to me is that traditional E3 events are ok if you want to announce games and show a few minutes of gameplay footage, or some cinematics. But Nintendo has a lot of games that are further along in development than that.

Instead of having one event where they have to squeze in so much different stuff, they can have multiple.
One event can focus on investors, recognising the problems that Nintendo have encountered this gen and how they are going to be fixed.
One event can be announcing some 3DS stuff, probably for launch 2014.
One event can be just to give as much in game footage/demo playtime as possible to smash bros, mario kart, 3d mario, WiiU zelda, wii fit u, Shin migami v fire emblem and yarn yoshi.
And then an event on 3rd party partnerships if they want.

tl;dr, you are looking for the negatives.

superchunk said:
I hate this fictitious idea that at this point Wii U has no 3rd party support for next-gen. EA is the only one not supporting at this point. Everyone else has multiple games announced. We need to wait for E3 to see if there is a 3rd party ignorance ahead of us.

In reality, its probably just Nintendo realizing that they can have routine cost-effective shows that allow a far more personal delivery of their content than a massive game show presentation.

They will have a Nintendo Direct(s) all around E3 with a ton of info and likely a lot of that will have 3rd party demonstrations. Plus they will still be at E3 in their normal large booth.

I wish i was smart like you

Soundwave said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Nintendo has the same multiplats as the other systems, and they have no exclusives. This argument makes no sense. Also, Nintendo is going to be at e3.

I think Nintendo tried to push multiplats the last couple of years, but they've seen for Nintendo platforms, these games really don't amount to much.

Sony/MS have locked up that demographic over the years. Obviously I think Nintendo was hoping that things like Black Ops 2 for example would help them sell a lot of Wii Us, but it hasn't been the case.

When people come to the Nintendo show, they really only want to see Nintendo games, as that's what they play on Nintendo platforms. And if that's the case, then a Nintendo Direct takes care of that at probably 1/1000th of the cost. They can just shoot that in the NCL offices over a lunch break or two. Why pay a ton of money to the Nokia Theater for that?

I have long contended that Nintendo's efforts at getting the multiplats are more defensive than offensive. If you have a multi-gamer household, and junior gets the game console first for his (or her) Marios and Zeldas, then the dad doesn't have to buy the nextbox to get the CoDs or Maddens (though with EA's dickery, he probably will anyway for the latter)

Nobody buys Nintendo for the multiplats, they don't have to go elsewhere for the multiplats

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Soundwave said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Nintendo has the same multiplats as the other systems, and they have no exclusives. This argument makes no sense. Also, Nintendo is going to be at e3.

I think Nintendo tried to push multiplats the last couple of years, but they've seen for Nintendo platforms, these games really don't amount to much.

Sony/MS have locked up that demographic over the years. Obviously I think Nintendo was hoping that things like Black Ops 2 for example would help them sell a lot of Wii Us, but it hasn't been the case.

When people come to the Nintendo show, they really only want to see Nintendo games, as that's what they play on Nintendo platforms. And if that's the case, then a Nintendo Direct takes care of that at probably 1/1000th of the cost. They can just shoot that in the NCL offices over a lunch break or two. Why pay a ton of money to the Nokia Theater for that?

I have long contended that Nintendo's efforts at getting the multiplats are more defensive than offensive. If you have a multi-gamer household, and junior gets the game console first for his (or her) Marios and Zeldas, then the dad doesn't have to buy the nextbox to get the CoDs or Maddens (though with EA's dickery, he probably will anyway for the latter)

Nobody buys Nintendo for the multiplats, they don't have to go elsewhere for the multiplats

I think that was what Nintendo was counting on or hoping for, but I think they underestimated the fact that left basically unchallenged the last 4-5 years, that Sony/MS have used their marketing, branding, online networks, and mindshare to basically create an iron grip on the type of "core gamer" market that gravitates towards franchises like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed and Madden and so on.

Nintendo simply just left this market alone for too long and now its too far gone, there's no getting it back. They would have to in effect moneyhat like Call of Duty or something, which is never going to happen.

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
superchunk said:
I hate this fictitious idea that at this point Wii U has no 3rd party support for next-gen. EA is the only one not supporting at this point. Everyone else has multiple games announced. 

Seriously? Seriously? Who are you trying to fool? 

On the thread subject: I've been thinking about it and I can't come up with a solid reason. Maybe the levels of support the Wii U is getting is a part of the decision..but then I still think the traditional conference would be beneficial to Wii U, even if they don't have many third party games to show.

wiiU has significantly weaker specs but will receive the exact same games witht the exact same graphical fidelity all while sporting more options via the gamepad?    ...thing is superchunck says it over and over so confidently he almost masks all the stank of the bullshit.

Come to think about it.... you should be presenting exclusive games on your conference...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=159285

What a shock, everything I said a few posts ago came true!

Moving along.

It's a big gamble - let's just wait and see what happens

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Otakumegane said:
I'm sure they don't have another Bayonetta 2 up their sleeves if that's what you mean, but that wouldn't be the major reason for not going to E3.

I think Nintendo's setting itself up for an experiment, and abandoning the traditional way of thinking. I like and hate it because the last time they did this it ended up in the Wii which was great for them but everyone "traditional" shunned them for it and I think that them not showing up at E3 will make everyone point and scream at them.

Conflicted but hopeful.

I agree. I think they're experimenting too. They know that Sony and MSFT are coming out with new consoles at the same time and that, I even if they show big games, the e3 conference they show will be he one with the least hype going in. It's hard to compete against 1 new console let alone 2.