By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Over-rated/Under-rated games

Tagged games:

hmmm i could see why some people may love some games so i wont classify them as overrated even if i dont like them as much as others...with that said only game i played that just boggled my mind how people would accept such nonsense in videogame form is  Heavy Rain...game had me like then until i was just like omg

Around the Network

Overrated:
- GTA IV
- Skyrim
- Mass Effect
- Assassins Creed
- Darksiders 1

Underrated:
- Majoras's Mask
- Pikmin 1
- Halo 3 ODST
- BLACK (you know, the FPS from Criterion)
- Original Yoshi's Island

Overrated -
Ocarina of Time
Okami
Uncharted Series (This, Okami and Ocarina are just...)
Super Mario Galaxy
Eternal Darkness
Super Mario Bros. 3
Limbo (Horrible game)
Pokémon R/B/Y + Remake

Underrated -
Scaler
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Super Mario Sunshine

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Overrated: Zack & Wiki, Little Kings Story, FF7, Zelda Ocarina of Time, all 3D Marios

Underrated: Faxanadu, A Link to the Past, Illusion of Gaia, Alundra, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I don't get some people's choices here for Overrated/Underrated. Several games they claim to be overrated had mediocre reviews, both from critics and players. Some underrated games are among gaming's most praised games. I think people is using the term "over/underrated" wrong.

Around the Network

Overrated: The uncharted series(other than 1), the God of war series(other than 1), well, pretty much every game that came out this generation that had a number at the end of it(essentially a sequel).

Underrated: Zelda Majoras Mask. Little Kings story for the wii, kirby's epic yarn, a lot of wii games were underrated simply because of the image of the wii.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Overrated:

LoZ: Skyward Sword - Aggressively mediocre in both gameplay and story, with only a massive amount of polish to redeem it. I understand why people like it, but it's far from great, and very much overrated.

Final Fantasy VIII/8 - Terribly designed, wretchedly paced, and an overall dumb story. The characters are hollow and dumb, and worst of all, it's boring. It's not all bad, but it's not worth the praise it gets.

Kingdom Hearts 1/2 - These games surprised me with their depth, but the story is such an wretched, impenetrable quagmire it's virtually put me off replaying them entirely.

Final Fantasy XIII - Some of the worst writing I've ever seen, period, and mechanics that are hard to grasp, and easy to master. Add to that an almost complete lack of player input, and a needlessly complex weapon-upgrade system, and you have a game that is almost all polish, no substance.

Underrated:

Halo 3: ODST - A very satisfying diversion from the main series, with a surprisingly well-constructed story. Also, Firefight.

Final Fantasy IX/9 - If not underrated, certainly under-appreciated. The story was one of the best in the series, but is often overlooked.

Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords - Yes, it's buggy, and unfinished, and surprisingly short. And it's still an improvement over the original in almost every way. I recently re-played it with the Rebuild Mod, and it was even better.

Psychonauts - Seriously, this game is great. It kinda tapers off at the end, but it had some truly novel puzzles and some really clever writing.

Gun - It's small, and not all that deep, but it's very well-constructed, and most of all, fun.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

JakDaSnack said:
Overrated: The uncharted series(other than 1), the God of war series(other than 1), well, pretty much every game that came out this generation that had a number at the end of it(essentially a sequel).

Underrated: Zelda Majoras Mask. Little Kings story for the wii, kirby's epic yarn, a lot of wii games were underrated simply because of the image of the wii.

Not under rated though, they just didn't sell much.

Overrated:

Uncharted
ICO
Halo
Gears of war
Infamous
Fable
COD: Modern Warfare
Birderlands

Underrated:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Dragon's Dogma
Two Worlds 2
Dante's Inferno
Vanquish

Slimebeast said:

Overrated:

Uncharted
ICO
Halo
Gears of war
Infamous
Fable
COD: Modern Warfare
Birderlands

Underrated:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Dragon's Dogma
Two Worlds 2
Dante's Inferno
Vanquish

Fable, overrated? That game has more hate than it deserves.