By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Laughs, Becomes CEO of Nintendo of America

pezus said:
Carl2291 said:
Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are consistant 5m sellers. People buy consoles for these games. Theyre system sellers.

Mario Kart on homeconsoles generally has an attach ratio of ~30%

When 30% of people who own your console buy a certain game, I think its a system seller.

Mario 2D platformers are consistent 5m sellers. People buy consoles for these games. They're system sellers

2D Mario on homeconsoles generally has an attach ratio of 20-30%. 

When 30% of people who own your console buy a certain game, I think it's a system seller. 

Just sayin'

To be fair, i shudder to think what Wii U would be like without NSMBU

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Number 1 priority is to get Amazon USA back to sell their products! Alot of loss of revenue.

Edit: And Scott Moffit needs to go. He is wortheless.

RolStoppable said:
pezus said:
Carl2291 said:
Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are consistant 5m sellers. People buy consoles for these games. Theyre system sellers.

When 30% of people who own your console buy a certain game, I think its a system seller.

Mario 2D platformers are consistent 5m sellers. People buy consoles for these games. They're system sellers

When 30% of people who own your console buy a certain game, I think it's a system seller. 

Just sayin'

Do you have any sort of point?

I believe his point is that the Wii U isn't selling that well even with a system seller like NSMBU. However, it probably takes more than just a couple games to warrant a purchase. I didn't get the Wii till Smash and Kart were released. That was about a year or two after its release right?

pezus said:
Carl2291 said:

Just sayin'

Are you trying to say that 2D Mario isnt a system seller, pezus?

Are you?

I think people have unrealistic expectations. ONE  game alone is never going to carry a $300+ console. Its the library. When you have a library full of system sellers (CoD, GTA, Mario Kart, 2D Mario, etc) thats when you start to see the gains.

One game release will push a console for a week or 2. One moderately big system seller will push a console for a Month. One 2D Mario will push a console for a full generation. It cant do it alone though, it needs help... NSMBU doesnt yet have that help.

DevilRising said:
Anyone hoping for Iwata's downfall are just, quite frankly, horrible horrible people.

Whether you are a huge supporter of Nintendo or not, there is literally ZERO reason to dislike the guy. Saturo Iwata is the very very RARE case, in this day and age, of a major game company being headed by someone that *gasp* not only used to create games, but is a gamer himself. So unlike 99% of big company head presidents out there, he actually understands not only the product, but the consumer as well. He doesn't need yes-men and focus group analysts to come kiss his butt and tell him what recent trends show consumers allegedly want.

We're talking about the man who helped make Lolo, Kirby, Earthbound, and Smash Bros. for fuck's sake.

But, sadly, much like pro sports, when a team has a spot of trouble, the coach usually gets blamed, even if he has zero control over what's going down. And while I do absolutely think Nintendo as a whole should have had at least a few of those 3DS projects as Wii U projects, as 3DS almost has too many first party games coming recently while Wii U (which needs them) in the last few months has none (namely Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario 4, having Monster Games make a pointless port of DKCR when they should be working on a new Wii U title). I don't however think that he exactly PLANNED for what looked on paper like a fantastic Wii U launch lineup, to have not done as well as expected.

One of the primary things that hurt Nintendo in NA, I believe, is that the original round of commercials for Wii U were atrocious, with craptacular "dubstep" soundtracks, and nonsensical imagery that showed or told nothing to the average consumer about what Wii U really is, and why they should buy one. Whoever was responsible for that commercial in the NOA marketing department should step down, not Iwata. On the same token, I think Reggie has been a good thing for Nintendo overall as well, as while he has a corporate/advertising background, he is also a self-admitted avid gamer, and while he certainly comes off a bit as a "corporate PR guy", which....well, he is, it's also undeniable that when he talks at least about certain games, you can tell that he has genuine enthusiasm for them.

So yup. Iwata's fine. Personally I hope he sticks around as Prez. for a long time to come. He was personally responsible for the mega-success of DS and Wii, and people seem to forget that. He gave himself a pay cut when 3DS initially sold under-par (when he really didn't need to), something I don't seem to remember the presidents of Sony or MS doing at any point. Just saying. The dude just seems like a hell of a guy. Not really sure how you could root against that.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter bro

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

100 million Wiis sold is fantastic sales, actually, third highest selling console of all time.

No offense, but since you're the guy who can't grasp that Smash Bros and Mario Kart are system sellers, I'm not going to bother discussing this with you.

What does that have to do with what I said...? The Wii was for a different market. Fact is, the Wii U is horribly underperforming. Fact. You can't run away from that, so now tell me what it is doing wrong compared to the Wii. Go. Come on buddy, let's here your reasoning. 

If they are such system sellers explain GC and N64 Sales, k?

You're getting a little mean. I'd suggest backing off, as the mods are rather angry with your antics right now, and you don't need to feed them anything further.

Mean? Just being honest whereas numerous people here are trying to paint me as some sort of anti-nintendo activist. The mods should be angry at the fact that too many Nintendo threads exisit where any sort of criticism towards Nintendo instantly labels you as the a hater by numerous members rather than those members actually dealing with what has been said rationally. My point has only ever been that more of the same surely won't work because currently it isn't, and previously it hasn't. 

pezus said:
Carl2291 said:

Just sayin'

Are you saying NSMBU won't sell at least 5m?

Signature goes here!

pezus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
pezus said:
Carl2291 said:

Just sayin'

No, no. And I'm not saying NSMBU isn't a system seller either. Just that a system seller isn't enough when the system just isn't a hot item. MK was a system seller back in the day too, yet it didn't save GC from being a complete disaster sales wise.

I'm sure GC would have managed 21m without games like SSBM and Mario Kart DD.

A perfect move.

pezus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
pezus said:
Carl2291 said:

Just sayin'

No, no. And I'm not saying NSMBU isn't a system seller either. Just that a system seller isn't enough when the system just isn't a hot item. MK was a system seller back in the day too, yet it didn't save GC from being a complete disaster sales wise.

Then I'll refer you to what Carl said. He summed it up nicely.

Signature goes here!