By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - France legalizes gay marriage despite angry protests

Do you want gay marriage in your country?

Yes, It would just be fair 241 58.78%

No, get the gay out of my country 102 24.88%

meh, I don't really care 66 16.10%

Total:409
dsgrue3 said:
thorin13 said:
dsgrue3 said:
thorin13 said:

thats your opinion and thats fine i dont hate, but i feel there should be a distintion between the two, there is something spcecial having two opposites coming together as one and i feel that it would be a shame for it to no longer be so, but i feel this is the way it is going now, my homeland will be next im sure, but i do not hate not ever, people should be free to make their own choices. i will miss the meaning of marriage as i knew it anyway.

The mere fact that you think homosexual marriage diminishes the term reflects your bigotry. You apparently cannot come to terms with your own bullshit. 

no need for foul language i have my opinion you dont like that then fair enough, if feel that marriage represents the binding of opposites as male and female coming together as one, is that so evil you have to spout your hatred at me, hate away.

I am not sure if English is your first language or not, but I wasn't remotely hateful toward you. I called you on your bullshit, which you failed to address by the way. Being direct with someone isn't hateful, it's honest.

im from iceland, and you say bullshit i assumed that was foul language in english perhaps im wrong if so appologies. my reasoning has been explained marriage is a binding of masculine and feminine coming together as one and has been so for many years it is special to me and has meaning, perhaps you are from the new world where tradition and history arent relevant but to me my peoples history and tradition is important and worth defending, people are gay yes this is true in many walks of life but they are different as are many in life, so why not allow them to have their own version with their own vows ect what is so awfull about this, 

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
Slimebeast said:

You're talking against facts here because you hope that to be the case, while we in fact don't know that to be the case.

I personally, partially based on my experience as a medical doctor and because there are studies that suggest it, believe that homosexuality largely is caused by dysfunctional hormonal regulation during embryonal development, which would be enough to meet the criteria for it to be classified as a "brain disorder" (that's how diagnostics work).

I do believe that some homosexuality is programmed and even selected for at the genetical level too, but we don't have clear evidence for that yet.

Note that I don't think this is dramatic in any way because "disorder" doesn't automatically mean something can be or should be "cured".

I'm not "talking against facts," I'm bringing them to the table. This is where scientists believe the fundamental control occurs. 

Epigenetics and hormones go hand in hand and it is absolutely thought to be hormones sent as epigenetic signals during development that produces sexuality. Epigenetics aren't set in stone, they are environmentally impacted. 

Classifying homosexuality as a brain disorder is absurd. Call it a recessive disposition, but disorder in this sense is a pejorative. Like I said, it's not thought of as different to left-handedness - and I think you'll fail to classify this as a disorder. 

Furthermore, what the hell does "hope" have anything to do with anything? I'm not homosexual, so I've no vested interest in a scientific explanation. I'm bringing clarity to an outdated opinion that it's a brain disorder. It simply isn't; any other assertion is baseless and, quite frankly, ridiculous.

You claimed that homosexuality "is controlled by epigenetic markers which promote a predisposition". That is not fact, that's a theory. Some homosexuality seem to be controlled by genetic markers, while some homosexuality cannot yet be connected to any predisposition, that's all we can say.

To call it a brain disorder is not "obsolete" or "absurd" for other than political reasons. You choose to compare it to left-handedness because it fits your liberal agenda, but it could just as well be compared to autism-spectrum disorders such as Aspbergers, or ADHD, which are classified as brain disorders.

About hope. Let's not pretend you don't have any premises coming in to this regardless if you personally are homosexual or not (which is really a weak argument). Undoubtetly you will prefer facts that strengthen a genetical explanation rather than a psychological explanation, or discoveries that suggest homosexuality to be a favourable evolutionary trait rather than a random detrimental defect.

thorin13 said:

im from iceland, and you say bullshit i assumed that was foul language in english perhaps im wrong if so appologies. my reasoning has been explained marriage is a binding of masculine and feminine coming together as one and has been so for many years it is special to me and has meaning, perhaps you are from the new world where tradition and history arent relevant but to me my peoples history and tradition is important and worth defending, people are gay yes this is true in many walks of life but they are different as are many in life, so why not allow them to have their own version with their own vows ect what is so awfull about this, 

You're entitled to your opinion, but emotional arguments don't carry any weight I'm afraid. Homosexuality is a natural occurance and is found in the animal kingdom. 

Your definition of marriage seems to be born of religion and misses the underlying point. It's a cultural ritual to signify a partnership between two people until death do them part. 

There is simply no need to redefine a perfectly good term. If religious people want to differentiate themselves, they can call it something else that pertains to their religion. It isn't a religious exercise, it's a cultural and legal one.

Glad to see another country in the EU make gay marriage legal. Hopefully if enough do it then the others will be pressured into it (either directly or indirectly by not wanting to be the only country not legalising it).

Slimebeast said:

You claimed that homosexuality "is controlled by epigenetic markers which promote a predisposition". That is not fact, that's a theory. Some homosexuality seem to be controlled by genetic markers, while some homosexuality cannot yet be connected to any predisposition, that's all we can say.

To call it a brain disorder is not "obsolete" or "absurd" for other than political reasons. You choose to compare it to left-handedness because it fits your liberal agenda, but it could just as well be compared to autism-spectrum disorders such as Aspbergers, or ADHD, which are classified as brain disorders.

About hope. Let's not pretend you don't have any premises coming in to this regardless if you personally are homosexual or not (which is really a weak argument). Undoubtetly you will prefer facts that strengthen a genetical explanation rather than a psychological explanation, or discoveries that suggest homosexuality to be a favourable evolutionary trait rather than a random detrimental defect.

It is the best theory at the moment. We have yet to resolve the debate, but we've certainly disproved the notion of a brain disorder.

"Psychology was one of the first disciplines to study homosexuality as a discrete phenomenon. Prior to and throughout most of the 20th century, common standard psychology viewed homosexuality in terms of pathological models as a mental illness. That classification began to be subjected to critical scrutiny in the research, which consistently failed to produce any empirical or scientific basis for regarding homosexuality as a disorder or abnormality."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_and_psychology

I don't think you understand what the term "premise" means by your misuse of it. I've vested interest in spreading current truths about science; you don't seem to share this interest by your continued defense of your debunked position.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
thorin13 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but emotional arguments don't carry any weight I'm afraid. Homosexuality is a natural occurance and is found in the animal kingdom. 

Your definition of marriage seems to be born of religion and misses the underlying point. It's a cultural ritual to signify a partnership between two people until death do them part. 

There is simply no need to redefine a perfectly good term. If religious people want to differentiate themselves, they can call it something else that pertains to their religion. It isn't a religious exercise, it's a cultural and legal one.

that is your opinion and i respect that i have mine also, glad to have a civilized conversation with you instead of the mostly hatefull ones ive seen in this post, farewell 

dsgrue3 said:
thorin13 said:

I found this somewhat funny. You say thorin is giving emotional responses that miss what the underlying meaning of a marriage is, and then you give your emotional response in return. Marriage is NOT about a partnership until death. If it was, we wouldn't have divorce!

Anyways, marriage has different meaning for different people but if you keep ripping away the slopes, it comes down to what it means legally (the benefits). I just wanted to pop in here and say this, I don't really have anything else I feel like contributing towards this talk. Good luck debating it out guys. =)

dsgrue3 said:
Slimebeast said:

It is the best theory at the moment. We have yet to resolve the debate, but we've certainly disproved the notion of a brain disorder.

"Psychology was one of the first disciplines to study homosexuality as a discrete phenomenon. Prior to and throughout most of the 20th century, common standard psychology viewed homosexuality in terms of pathological models as a mental illness. That classification began to be subjected to critical scrutiny in the research, which consistently failed to produce any empirical or scientific basis for regarding homosexuality as a disorder or abnormality."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_and_psychology

I don't think you understand what the term "premise" means by your misuse of it. I've vested interest in spreading current truths about science; you don't seem to share this interest by your continued defense of your debunked position.

In your opinion it's the best theory (and probably in the interest of liberal lobby groups) that genetic markers have a deep impact on causing homosexuality. Because it fits your agenda. Not because you're scientifically open to any explanation.

Bold: you know that sentence is false. There are evidence that severe hormonal dysfunctions affect sexuality and in turn this would qualifiy it to be classified as a disorder using medical terms, no matter if you like it or not. We just don't know the whole picture yet.

Like I said, it's laughably clear that you're driven by an agenda rather than being objective towards scientific facts.

dsgrue3 said:
thorin13 said:

"natural occurence" is not an argument for legiticamy either.

Slimebeast said:

In your opinion it's the best theory (and probably in the interest of liberal lobby groups) that genetic markers have a deep impact on causing homosexuality. Because it fits your agenda. Not because you're scientifically open to any explanation.

Bold: you know that sentence is false. There are evidence that severe hormonal dysfunctions affect sexuality and in turn this would qualifiy it to be classified as a disorder using medical terms, no matter if you like it or not. We just don't know the whole picture yet.

Like I said, it's laughably clear that you're driven by an agenda rather than objective towards scientific facts.

That's like saying in my opinion the Big Bang Theory is the best. No, it's actually the opinion of the astrophysicist community that it is. Your opposition to the truth is an agenda to appear as less inane than you've been shown to be. It's a futile effort fighting fact with opinion; you would do well to drop your devotion to ignorance and simply admit your egregious miscalculation here.

Hormonal imbalance caused by epigenetics != brain disorder. This is like comparing a car running out of gas to an engine problem. It's just laughably stupid.

Like I said, you clearly don't have a modicum of information about this. Go do some research, you're embarrassing yourself.