By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New Xbox360 killer app: Pizza Hut. Better with Kinect.

Tagged games:

Please select desired pizza

Ultimate Cheese Lover's Pizza 15 21.43%

Pepperoni Lover's Pizza 17 24.29%

Meat Lover's Pizza 8 11.43%

Veggie Lover's Pizza 3 4.29%

Supreme Pizza 7 10.00%

Super Supreme Pizza 11 15.71%

Create your own (please post toppings) 9 12.86%

Total:70

Just what I always wanted to do - order a pizza using Kinect.

Is this a joke?

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
This could have been spent on game development

Lol, even if this cost a billion dollars which, it didn't, you think M$ or the people who more than likely paid to get the app on the console, (logic dude) Pizza Hut will run out of money and not develop more games? Lol. I hope you're kidding.

ironmanDX said:
theprof00 said:

Lol, even if this cost a billion dollars which, it didn't, you think M$ or the people who more than likely paid to get the app on the console, (logic dude) Pizza Hut will run out of money and not develop more games? Lol. I hope you're kidding.

You're implying that pizza hut paid for this?

This is a good idea minus the kinect part. Kinect seems really unnecessary. However it would be ideal if it worked while other games/apps are in use. Also, I'm assuming Pizza Hut funded this so I don't see why people are up in arms about this development not being used on games.

theprof00 said:
ironmanDX said:
theprof00 said:

I'm sure pizza hut is paying a sum like 50cents to 1 dollar to MS for this service per order..  there are these food order websites like http://www.just-eat.com/
where the seller pays a percentage of the total order to justeat.. for the seller such a service is great.. I heard stories of revenue going up by 60% because they joined justeat.. can't see that MS wouldn't charge Pizza hut..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
binary solo said:
hollabackenny said:
yo_john117 said:
On a side note why does Pizza Hut say that 18-24 year old's are their "hard to get" market? I'm fairly certain the exact opposite is true.

I don't know about the States, but here in Canada (at least where I live) Pizza Hut is generally more expensive than other pizza places mostly because they try and pull off that nicer restaurant/ better quality feel. It's usually a place families go together or order so I can see the young adult males(generally viewed with a lower income because they're probably in school still or just starting their careers) avoiding it. 

Wut? Pizza Hutt joined the race to the bottom here a few years ago. There's no pretense that they are the high class pizza company any more. Their pizzas were always low class, it just took them a while to realise it and accept that as their niche.

For a number of years they struggled to turn a profit because they were trying to be the high end guys. Once they got cheap and cheerful, hey, they are now making their parent company some nice profits.

That could very well be the case soon here, I have no idea how well they've been doing here but they are definitely viewed as the higher end in the pizza market here for the time being. 

NiKKoM said:
theprof00 said:
ironmanDX said:
theprof00 said:

I'm sure pizza hut is paying a sum like 50cents to 1 dollar to MS for this service per order..  there are these food order websites like http://www.just-eat.com/
where the seller pays a percentage of the total order to justeat.. for the seller such a service is great.. I heard stories of revenue going up by 60% because they joined justeat.. can't see that MS wouldn't charge Pizza hut..

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was going to say something similar to that. Another point I was going to make is that if they didn't charge them that way they'd charge them just for putting it on xbox live. If they charge people to make patches for arcade games you can be sure as he'll MS is getting money from this one way or another. A win win business deal. They both make money from this deal, how much? Only they know.

ironmanDX said:
NiKKoM said:
theprof00 said:
ironmanDX said:
theprof00 said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was going to say something similar to that. Another point I was going to make is that if they didn't charge them that way they'd charge them just for putting it on xbox live. If they charge people to make patches for arcade games you can be sure as he'll MS is getting money from this one way or another. A win win business deal. They both make money from this deal, how much? Only they know.

And isn't that how game developers make money as well? You make money by developing an application.
So what's the argument? Time and energy could be spent making games.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft must really hate games. I guess this could work, but they are so not focused on games and as the years go by its just getting worse. They just want you to sit on your ass in front of their Xbox regardless of whether you game on it or not. Lets hope they show some games at E3 or at some unveiling before hand.

You do realize that Sony offered pizza ordering from the console back in 2009.

I for one applaud this.  I suggested it a long, long time ago. 

9/16/2009 to be exact.

With a recent promo that Sony is doing with Papa Johns lead me to think of how it could/would work with Xbox LIVE.

Since Microsoft requires much of the information necessary to deliver a pizza already for the gamertag; Microsoft could easily create a system where by a user orders a pizza through an avatar-based application.  So, while you select the crust, & toppings your avatar builds the pizza it holds. 

Next up would be selecting if you want it delivered or for pick-up/carry-out.  Using your gamertag information, the program would select a few nearby locations to you from which to choose.  Next would be payment.  Either allow Microsoft Point-based payments (to the nearest point) or credit card payments.   That actually ends up being the most challenging part, however.  Because I know in Michigan MP cards aren't taxed, however non-grocery food items (convenience/restaurant food) are.  In other states that may not be the case.  Double-taxation may be an issue that has to be resolved.

Orders could also be saved, so that in the future you provide one-click ordering.

Where this could be REALLY awesome is if you allow the user to select which pizza vender to choose from.  For instance, say you sign up Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns, and Jet's Pizza (OK...I know you folks in the West are missing out on Jet's pizza...if you're ever in Michigan try it...www.jetspizza.com), the user would select the vender and the avatar clothing (a pizza vender uniform), pizza box(es), pop/soda, and toppings would change based on what that vender offers.

So why is this a good idea? 
1) How many gaming or movie nights with friends don't already include pizza?
2) This makes it fast and convenient, right from the console, especially with one-click ordering.
3) This can be made as a model for other chains, such as Jimmy Johns (I.e. a healthier alternative to pizza)
4) This can be made as a model for other regions, not just the US.

... reasons why I can't do this myself ... excluded ...

I'm sure this won't get read, but I hope it does and I think it could be a great opportunity for both Microsoft, it's partners, and it's user base.

Adinnieken said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft must really hate games. I guess this could work, but they are so not focused on games and as the years go by its just getting worse. They just want you to sit on your ass in front of their Xbox regardless of whether you game on it or not. Lets hope they show some games at E3 or at some unveiling before hand.

You do realize that Sony offered pizza ordering from the console back in 2009.

I for one applaud this.  I suggested it a long, long time ago. 

9/16/2009 to be exact.

With a recent promo that Sony is doing with Papa Johns lead me to think of how it could/would work with Xbox LIVE.

Since Microsoft requires much of the information necessary to deliver a pizza already for the gamertag; Microsoft could easily create a system where by a user orders a pizza through an avatar-based application.  So, while you select the crust, & toppings your avatar builds the pizza it holds. 

Next up would be selecting if you want it delivered or for pick-up/carry-out.  Using your gamertag information, the program would select a few nearby locations to you from which to choose.  Next would be payment.  Either allow Microsoft Point-based payments (to the nearest point) or credit card payments.   That actually ends up being the most challenging part, however.  Because I know in Michigan MP cards aren't taxed, however non-grocery food items (convenience/restaurant food) are.  In other states that may not be the case.  Double-taxation may be an issue that has to be resolved.

Orders could also be saved, so that in the future you provide one-click ordering.

Where this could be REALLY awesome is if you allow the user to select which pizza vender to choose from.  For instance, say you sign up Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns, and Jet's Pizza (OK...I know you folks in the West are missing out on Jet's pizza...if you're ever in Michigan try it...www.jetspizza.com), the user would select the vender and the avatar clothing (a pizza vender uniform), pizza box(es), pop/soda, and toppings would change based on what that vender offers.

So why is this a good idea? 
1) How many gaming or movie nights with friends don't already include pizza?
2) This makes it fast and convenient, right from the console, especially with one-click ordering.
3) This can be made as a model for other chains, such as Jimmy Johns (I.e. a healthier alternative to pizza)
4) This can be made as a model for other regions, not just the US.

... reasons why I can't do this myself ... excluded ...

I'm sure this won't get read, but I hope it does and I think it could be a great opportunity for both Microsoft, it's partners, and it's user base.

I had no idea, until 2009 I didn't really care about the PS3.