By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ remaining IPs sold.. Gearbox got Homeworld.. Darksiders to Nordic Games

zarx said:
DanneSandin said:
zarx said:
Nordic Games is a holding company that owns 3 publishing labels JoWooD Entertainment, DreamCatcher Interactive and The Adventure Company. The important part is that they are a publisher not a developer so their past works aren't really important here it's which developers they farm the games out to. They are pretty small but this might be a sign that they are looking to make a big push. Just like Koch Media did with Dead Island and later buying Metro: LL and Saints Row, I mean who here had heard of them before those games?

Who knows maybe Platnum Games might get the tap for Darksidrs lol.

That's actually quite reasuring!!

Or you know they could just keep the IPs locked up in a vault or hire C grade devs and give them tiny budgets to cash in on the name. Who knows at this point. 

That's true, but I'd rather looked it as the glass is half full instead of half empty ^^ Nordic Games acquired a whole bunch if THQ IP's I think, so that could mean they're trying to expand.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

i'm so confused now! Are we hating Gearbox for Aliens, or do we love them for Borderlands? Someone tell me what to think!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

zarx said:
Just like Koch Media did with Dead Island and later buying Metro: LL and Saints Row, I mean who here had heard of them before those games?

They are unknown elsewhere, but anyone who buys games in Germany and pays attention to the distributor named on the back of the case has heard of them. They distribute e.g. all Square-Enix games over here afaik. Pretty complete list of games distributed by Koch Media: http://tinyurl.com/cb45m9g

Porcupine_I said:
i'm so confused now! Are we hating Gearbox for Aliens, or do we love them for Borderlands? Someone tell me what to think!

You are supposed to hate that you love them.

zarx said:
BaldrSkies said:
Headline should be "Gearbox saves Homeworld from Nordic black hole".

Apparently the runners up were Stardock and Paradox Entertainment. The CEO of Stardock makes Gearbox look like a sient in comparison and is a real duche, but at least have stratergy experiance and could have given the game to Ironclad Games (makers of Sins of a Solar empire which Stardock published). Paradox would have been the prefered pick after SEGA but it looks like SEGA had no intention of picking it up. 

The Gearbox hate gets a bit hyperbolic due to the A:CM fiasco that they screwed up royaly but SEGA is just as much at fault for that. They are not the best developer around but they are aparently hiring people interested in working on the franchise now so the fact that Gearbox hasn't done a lot of games like this in the past isn't really a huge problem if they get the right people most of the people that made Homeworld don't work for Relic anymore. 

Gearbox has ruined both series that they inherited from other developers; Duke and ACM. The former however was a pile of crap before they ever got their hand on it and the later wasn't even developed in house.

As a developer I believe Gearbox is 'good' getting into 'great'.

As a company however, their reputation is dirt.

If Gearbox actually utilise this IP, I expect a competent, well tuned game streamlined for console, with a plethora of DLC and dumb down gameplay that will have the hardcore crowd frothing in the mouth.

If they abuse the IP I expect another pile of crap hitting the proverbial fan. Duke's dissapointment was expected, Alien however was an outright lie. Homeworld will make or break them for the hardcore crowd.

Around the Network
zarx said:
DanneSandin said:
zarx said:
Nordic Games is a holding company that owns 3 publishing labels JoWooD Entertainment, DreamCatcher Interactive and The Adventure Company. The important part is that they are a publisher not a developer so their past works aren't really important here it's which developers they farm the games out to. They are pretty small but this might be a sign that they are looking to make a big push. Just like Koch Media did with Dead Island and later buying Metro: LL and Saints Row, I mean who here had heard of them before those games?

Who knows maybe Platnum Games might get the tap for Darksidrs lol.

That's actually quite reasuring!!

Or you know they could just keep the IPs locked up in a vault or hire C grade devs and give them tiny budgets to cash in on the name. Who knows at this point. 

If we start looking for the worst, we can also look for the best.

So maybe they'll hire Crytek to make it using their Austin team, given that they know the franchise very well.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Porcupine_I said:

Hate them as a company.

Love them as a developer.

Problem solved.

zarx said:
BasilZero said:

Edit: Dont want Platinum games to work on it since none of their works are never released on PC.

That is the publishers fault tho. Platnum's engine runs on PC (They even have a playable build of Bayonetta with Nvidia 3D support) and they have said they are very interested in releaseing something for the PC and Steam.

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/9/24/3383184/platinum-games-on-pc-steam-kickstarter-tgs

I think there is a perception that platinum won't develop for PC andthis stems from I think kamiya has said something on twitter in the past at not developing for PC, or being ignorant about the platform in general.

But Kamiya =/= Platinum.

ishiki said:
zarx said:
BasilZero said:

Edit: Dont want Platinum games to work on it since none of their works are never released on PC.

That is the publishers fault tho. Platnum's engine runs on PC (They even have a playable build of Bayonetta with Nvidia 3D support) and they have said they are very interested in releaseing something for the PC and Steam.

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/9/24/3383184/platinum-games-on-pc-steam-kickstarter-tgs

I think there is a perception that platinum won't develop for PC andthis stems from I think kamiya has said something on twitter in the past at not developing for PC, or being ignorant about the platform in general.

But Kamiya =/= Platinum.

Kamiya just like to troll people who are bugging him on twitter more than anything. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Well...Homeworld...

Damn