By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How does the 3DS compare to the PSP, power wise?

Turkish said:
About the same power level :p

over 9000?

Around the Network

3DS is more powerful but not by tons, like the vita is over the PSP.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Turkish said:
About the same power level :p

read my post and agree

DieAppleDie said:
Kaizar and its super accurate spec data strike again xD

It's pretty hard to compare the consoles when you can't get the full specs on them. Comparing cores and clock speeds isn't very accurate either.

I'll expand on what Otakugemane did, trying to put the consoles in order of power, and add more in.

DS << Dreamcast < PSP < PS2 < 3DS < Gamecube < Xbox = Wii < PSVita << 360 < PS3

...Or something like that.

I am also not sure it if makes much sense to compare the specs. Technology usually becomes more efficient but how far the 3ds is more efficient is unknown to us.

But what I know is that the 3ds has effects/shaders/etc the PSP and even PS2 Xbox Gamecube and Wii can only dream of.

What I believe is that 3ds compared to PSP (CAN! theoretically) be somewhat like the Halo1 vs Halo1 Anniversary edition in terms of graphics. (not including the increase in resolution here etc. I'm just talking about the shaders and light effects etc)

Around the Network

No offense, but this seems like an odd comparison. Is there a reason for it?

pokoko said:

You mean the halo comparison?

Well I made that comparison since I am currently playing Halo Anniversary Edition and  (ignoring some more polys for the characters and the higher resolution) the game looks totally different from the original game and thats mostly thanks to the shaders/lighting etc the 360 has and the xbox1 has not. (sure design also plays a role since 343 is not Bungie but thats another story)

The biggest difference comes form the shaders etc.

And thats exactly the same situation with PSP and 3DS.

JazzB1987 said:
pokoko said:

You mean the halo comparison?

Well I made that comparison since I am currently playing Halo Anniversary Edition and  (ignoring some more polys for the characters and the higher resolution) the game looks totally different from the original game and thats mostly thanks to the shaders/lighting etc the 360 has and the xbox1 has not. (sure design also plays a role since 343 is not Bungie but thats another story)

The biggest difference comes form the shaders etc.

And thats exactly the same situation with PSP and 3DS.

No, the 3DS/PSP comparison.

By playing Resident Evil Revelations and Mario 3D Land I got the "generational leap" impression, with other titles not so much.

Anyway I sold it just before the price drop was announced. I'm waiting on the "3DSi" to jump wagon again.

pokoko said:

Curious since the PSP was so much more powerful than the original DS, and while people seem happy to bash the Wii U for not being as powerful as PS4, I haven't heard the 3DS get similar flak for not being as powerful as Vita.